Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

If it is a B&M I would really appreciate a layout that is out of the norm. Something not a loop, followed by a Zero-G, cobra roll, breaks, then 2 corkscrews, or any of that in a some different order. I do love B&M coasters, but many of them are monotonous and repetitive. I'd really like to see a coaster that does not follow the equation many B&M coasters follow.

As an owner of No limits, there is one coaster creation that continues to be my favorite because of how different it is and original the layout is. You can see the ride I speak of here....

Personally I would love to see something like this built.

• Like 18

Yes, there are things we all want the park to get. But now it is time to focus on what the new ride logically appears to be. I could roll off plenty of things I'd want KI to get, but we need to think about possible rides the park could actually build. IMO, we shouldn't be talking about things we want the park to get anymore. I think we should really focus on what makes sense based on footers and other construction. Right now my senses are tingling, and with a wave of my hand, I will now predict the 2014 coaster...

A 500 foot, multi inversion, world record speed, woooden coaster called Banshee.

Ride On_17, who can never get enough sarcasm and humor in his life :lol:

But on a more serious note, I actually predict next year's coaster to be an invert. The parallel footers are what really make me think this. I could be completely wrong, but this is just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Personally, I want it to be a 425' floorless in which you leave the station upside down. (A state-of-the-art, never before seen system will flip the entire track right-side up to allow guests to board the trains.) It will have 22 inversions, 15 of which are vertical loops all in a row, and there will be 11 tunnels including 5 all-glass ones which take you through a huge aquarium full of sharks. It will then go out along International Street and do a huge cobra roll around the Eiffel Tower before ultimately ending in a 540 degree heartline roll back at the station.

What do I think we will get? An invert.

• Like 5

Has anyone taken any recent pics of the construction from Eiffel Tower? Anything new or exciting? When I was there on Thursday I took some but have been too busy to upload them, but there really wasn't much of a difference between my pics and the ones posted before my trip. Since it's been a few days I wondered how much (if anything) has changed.

"Whoever coined the phase "you've got me in circles", I wonder if @KICentral is what they had in mind". -KingsIslandPR

Response to "What did this mean?" "@TheDaneThomas Looks like a case for The Interpreter!"

"You've got me in circles"

Vortex - The coaster that runs "circles" around the rest.

Possible hint? Due to the fact that we were just discussing Vortex's old advertisements in a recent topic?....... (http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27632-feel-the-grip-of-Vortex-and-other-ramblings/)

Its a far fetched hint but its possible......

A possible hint that the ride could have a loop or inversion....

• Like 6

"Whoever coined the phase "you've got me in circles", I wonder if @KICentral is what they had in mind". -KingsIslandPR

Response to "What did this mean?" "@TheDaneThomas Looks like a case for The Interpreter!"

"You've got me in circles"

Vortex - The coaster that runs "circles" around the rest.

Possible hint? Due to the fact that we were just discussing Vortex's old advertisements in a recent topic?....... (http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27632-feel-the-grip-of-Vortex-and-other-ramblings/)

Its a far fetched hint but its possible......

A possible hint that the ride could have a loop or inversion....

I doubt it. Don was probably just trying to be humorous. But good thinking (or decoding).

• Like 2

All of this talk of up to 500 foot hills, multiple inversions and corkscrews seems to make this ride a very extreme ride with lots and lots of G forces. Won't this tend to scare off the average rider that just wants to experience a fun ride? They might all take one look at that very extreme ride and say to themselves, "No way am I riding that!" Don't you think Cedar Fair would want a ride that will appeal to lots of park goers and not just a few riders that seek out these extreme thrill rides? When I see a family look at a ride like Invertigo, they cringe at the thought of being whipped around like on the end of a bull whip. How will they feel when they see a 500 foot steel coaster that goes up to 70 mph and goes through lots of inversions and corkscrews? Will they say, "No way I am getting on that ride?" Or would they want a ride that is less extreme with a lift hill(s) around 250 to 300 feet? They just want a ride that is fun to ride without stressing them with all of the extreme G forces and lots of inversions.

• Like 1

Greetings, everyone!

I have had a lot of fun reading this thread as a frequent lurker and have really enjoyed everyone's speculation, but its just too tempting to refrain from laying my chips down on this already messy table :)

With the evidence so far it seems quite certain this will be a B&M, and the current support locations indicate A-Frame structures exiting the station meaning the coaster will be suspended for at least some duration underneath the track. However, I believe that if Kings Island is to draw crowds, the the opportunity for a B&M invert has already left. Someone on this board has already mentioned a B&M flying coaster possibility, but construction appears to be a single lane loading station. Current B&M flying coasters require a dual lane loading station.....

Or do they?

fig2fj9.jpg

A few years back B&M made this patent.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=EP&NR=1201280A2&KC=B1&FT=D&date=20080416&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

Its a 2nd generation B&M flying coaster. The trains load sideways on the track, then rotate forward into the "Superman" position, dramatically simplifying the loading procedure. This would solve the capacity issues of the already popular Firehawk, combined with B&M smoothness and reliability. This would classify enough as a new type of coaster and be a major draw to get people into the park.

Just speculating. Have fun ;)

• Like 19

From the presentation materials found on the latest Cedar Fair press release...
(http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm)

Page 43, a page about Kings Island:

Growth opportunities exist:
• Strong value proposition for park size and regional market location
• Premium product offerings
• Introduction of additional “thrill” attractions

____

Page 96, mentioning opportunities for lengthening stays:

• Cabins & Campgrounds
-Cedar Point, Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Kings Island and Michigan’s Adventure

____

Page 65, describing some future plans (not park specific):

Targeted Development

• Attractions:

Focus on creating memorable, repeatable, reprogrammable and unforgettable experiences

• Like 12

Yes, they could do that. But I'm just trying to think of creative ways to have an inversion straight out of the station on an inverted coaster that has a lift hill. ;)

Smiler at Alton Towers does this but its a sit down. I think the center of gravity on an invert makes it tougher. You'd have to have a significant drop out of the station to pull it off,

A next gen flying coaster could prove to be interesting. I guess I'll still say it will be an invert but I might just bite my tongue for a little while.

Very interesting...

But of course, one has to wonder, could there possibly be more diversions? I would assume so :)

I think people are looking at this attraction too much from an enthusiast standpoint as far as make and model goes. 99% of the visiting public will not see that Kings Island is adding a B&M invert and say "oh, those are so 1990's, don't bother." Likewise, they will not see an Intamin addition and say "but those are such a maintenance hassle, it will probably be down when we go anyway." Practically any major addition that is at least somewhat dissimilar to other attractions at Kings Island will draw relatively equal amounts of crowds, as they will likely draw from the same target market. From the perspective of the powers that be, the decision of what type of roller coaster to add is drawn largely from a standpoint of cost-effectiveness.

• Like 18

zombieninja, on 30 Jun 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Greetings, everyone!

Current B&M flying coasters require a dual lane loading station.....

Or do they?

Its a 2nd generation B&M flying coaster. The trains load sideways on the track, then rotate forward into the "Superman" position, dramatically simplifying the loading procedure. This would solve the capacity issues of the already popular Firehawk...

Greetings!

I'm not sure I understand this completely, or how it would adjust capacity.

From my observations Tatsu and the Superman clones have only ever used one loading side. Riders enter the loading platform and board just like they do on a non-flying B&M, and then get tilted into position.

Am I misreading what you mean by dual lane loading?

One could argue that the more time a roller coaster spends closed the more it costs the park in lost revenue. Additionally, it could also cost in maintenance, should that be the cause of its downtime. The point being, I think the type of roller coaster Cedar Fair has decided to give us was decided upon from a standpoint of its ability to return on its investment, and enthusiasts' perception of that type of coaster most likely has little weight in the decision process.

• Like 5

Hey, it could be the record breaker so many of us have been wanting. I can picture it now:

New for 2014: Kings Island unveils the worlds longest family wild mouse coaster! You won't have a dozen hairpin turns. You won't even have two dozen. Brace yourself as Banshee sends you an a mile long journey of more than three dozen hairpin turns. Don't forget to grab a Snickers bay to enjoy while you sit on this 5 minute side-winding screaming demon!

• Like 3

Hey, it could be the record breaker so many of us have been wanting. I can picture it now:

New for 2014: Kings Island unveils the worlds longest family wild mouse coaster! You won't have a dozen hairpin turns. You won't even have two dozen. Brace yourself as Banshee sends you an a mile long journey of more than three dozen hairpin turns. Don't forget to grab a Snickers bay to enjoy while you sit on this 5 minute side-winding screaming demon!

No eating on coasters or rides. It's not safe to do so.

• Like 3