Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

Recent hints make me think this might be a dark ride...

Earlier in this forum Don said something along the lines that nothing is going to be announced during the day this year for future news. (Sorry for poor wording). I'm guessing this will be a dark ride. Budget 30 million?

Time to add my 0.03 cents (feeling risky).

Maybe it will be a launch coaster (invert or whatever) and while taking off, fire travels along with you (AT A SAFE DISTANCE OF COURSE).

Call it Hell's ______ (You fill in the blank)

I should probably go back to Summer School work.

Haven't posted in quite some time but I have been following as I always do. One question that I haven't seen brought up about the Scarecrows would be this. If they were to keep people from looking through the fence or to "scare" people away, why put the one by the fence gap and the other three so far away on the footers? Just wondering if placement or positioning of the scarecrows has any value to this discussion.

Revenge of The Bat! Maybe it will also feature two lift hills.

If it is an invert, i'd rather hit some LSM's mid-way through the ride and thrown into some crazy, out of control elements! The "modern second lift", :). A first for B&M of course.

Yes, they could do that. But I'm just trying to think of creative ways to have an inversion straight out of the station on an inverted coaster that has a lift hill. ;)

Smiler at Alton Towers does this but its a sit down. I think the center of gravity on an invert makes it tougher. You'd have to have a significant drop out of the station to pull it off,

There's a park on a mountain near Maggie valley nc, and it goes out of the station, down a hill and around a turn, then goes through a loop. The park is not open right now, but is reopening in 2014 I think.
  • Like 1

Interestingly, after posting this image.....

9182994325_0ef54a83fe.jpg

It reminded me of Friday the 13th..... I believe that years ago, Paramount was pondering converting Rivertown into Camp Crystal Lake. When I heard this I created a background story for what I wished they would do and.....everyone took it seriously and I was flamed off the site as a troll....(I got over it, and everyone else has too I hope <_<)

Anyways, here was my idea in a huge nutshell....

"There is a killer in the woods at (Paramount's) Kings Island. Guests this year will encounter the thrill of their lives as they venture into unknown territory with 'Friday the 13th the ride'. Guests are invited to become camp counselors at Camp Crystal Lake where they will have close encounters with it's infamous denizen Jason Voorhees. After attending counselor orientation (preshow in a camp cabin), guests will be hurried into their vehicle of escape. (B&M invert coaster, indoor loading platform). As the vehicle enters the first dark cabin, Jason suddenly attacks as the vehicle is launched through a series of movie scenes and inversions to the next cabin where it all happens again. But beware....Jason is lurking in many places and he is relentless! Guests won't know what direction he will come from.....ceiling, left, right, up or even from below! Will you be the sole survivor of Jason's attacks? Come spend your summer at Camp Crystal Lake....only at (Paramount's) Kings Island!"

So........sound like fun???

Here is hoping to a launching invert!!!

Sorry for the double posts. I'm playing catch-up this morning.

All of this talk of up to 500 foot hills, multiple inversions and corkscrews seems to make this ride a very extreme ride with lots and lots of G forces. Won't this tend to scare off the average rider that just wants to experience a fun ride? They might all take one look at that very extreme ride and say to themselves, "No way am I riding that!" Don't you think Cedar Fair would want a ride that will appeal to lots of park goers and not just a few riders that seek out these extreme thrill rides? When I see a family look at a ride like Invertigo, they cringe at the thought of being whipped around like on the end of a bull whip. How will they feel when they see a 500 foot steel coaster that goes up to 70 mph and goes through lots of inversions and corkscrews? Will they say, "No way I am getting on that ride?" Or would they want a ride that is less extreme with a lift hill(s) around 250 to 300 feet? They just want a ride that is fun to ride without stressing them with all of the extreme G forces and lots of inversions.

I guess I should use sarcasm tags for my posts. I was totally kidding about the coaster with 22 inversions, etc. I honestly would not want something like that...at all. KI does have some family rides, but I tend to agree they need to get some more. I do think they need this new coaster, and I also think they need to get a wood twister. But after that, I really think they need to stop worrying about coasters for a while and start focusing on the family fun flat rides. They ripped out a number of family fun attractions/rides over the years which were some of my favorites: the Skyride, Lion Country Safari, Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal, antique cars, Ferris Wheel, Bayern Curve, Flying Dutchman, Flying Eagles, and Wheel of Fortune. I understand the reasoning for removing some, but others I don't.

Greetings, everyone!

I have had a lot of fun reading this thread as a frequent lurker and have really enjoyed everyone's speculation, but its just too tempting to refrain from laying my chips down on this already messy table :)

With the evidence so far it seems quite certain this will be a B&M, and the current support locations indicate A-Frame structures exiting the station meaning the coaster will be suspended for at least some duration underneath the track. However, I believe that if Kings Island is to draw crowds, the the opportunity for a B&M invert has already left. Someone on this board has already mentioned a B&M flying coaster possibility, but construction appears to be a single lane loading station. Current B&M flying coasters require a dual lane loading station.....

Or do they?

fig2fj9.jpg

A few years back B&M made this patent.
http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=EP&NR=1201280A2&KC=B1&FT=D&date=20080416&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP

Its a 2nd generation B&M flying coaster. The trains load sideways on the track, then rotate forward into the "Superman" position, dramatically simplifying the loading procedure. This would solve the capacity issues of the already popular Firehawk, combined with B&M smoothness and reliability. This would classify enough as a new type of coaster and be a major draw to get people into the park.

Just speculating. Have fun ;)

Does Gatekeeper have a dual-lane loading station? Is it drawing crowds to the park? I'm not sure it depends on whether a coaster has a dual-lane loading station when trying to decide on an attraction to draw crowds to the park. ;)

I still think the footers are too close to be an invert....

I've noticed that when you look at something from a distance, such as the top of the Eiffel Tower, your depth perception can be thrown off. I think someone else mentioned you can fit a dump truck between the parallel footers. I'm sure they are wide enough for an invert. ;)

Yes, they could do that. But I'm just trying to think of creative ways to have an inversion straight out of the station on an inverted coaster that has a lift hill. ;)

Smiler at Alton Towers does this but its a sit down. I think the center of gravity on an invert makes it tougher. You'd have to have a significant drop out of the station to pull it off,

What about Wicked Twister, or Vertical Velocity, or Screaming Condor? I don't think you necessarily need an inverted train to drop out of the station in order to launch it, but it's true you would need a long launch before leaving the station. Anyway, I'm just musing.

A next gen flying coaster could prove to be interesting. I guess I'll still say it will be an invert but I might just bite my tongue for a little while.

Very interesting...

But of course, one has to wonder, could there possibly be more diversions? I would assume so :)

Biting your tongue is no fun. It hurts! And you'll explode from all the pent up energy that comes from wanting to blurt out what you think it will be. :lol:

Practically any major addition that is at least somewhat dissimilar to other attractions at Kings Island will draw relatively equal amounts of crowds, as they will likely draw from the same target market.

Which is one of the reasons why I don't think KI needs a giga coaster right now. It may be much higher, but it's also too similar to Diamondback. I think the general public is going to want something different from what they currently see at the park, and in my mind that would mean something like Maverick which would hug the terrain and have a couple zero-g rolls, or a full-circuit invert with inversions people haven't experienced yet at the park, such as a zero-g and Immelman. These have been my original thoughts all along.

Someone else mentioned Aquatrax. Check out how fun the coaster looks in the video at the bottom of this Intamin page: http://www.intaminworldwide.com/amusement/WaterRides/AquaTrax/tabid/139/ProductNumber/AquaTrax/language/de-DE/Default.aspx That would be cool. Perhaps one with inversions?

Recent hints make me think this might be a dark ride...
Earlier in this forum Don said something along the lines that nothing is going to be announced during the day this year for future news. (Sorry for poor wording). I'm guessing this will be a dark ride. Budget 30 million?

The only reason I'm thinking it's not a dark ride is that we haven't seen any kind of foundation slab being laid for a large building....at least not yet. Where would they put it? I doubt they're going to use the entire SOB footprint for this one coaster when that would be a wasted opportunity for a whole new section to be added to the park.

how about a wooden invert http://www.gordonrides.com/concepts.html

doubt this will happen. But is different and maybe a record breaker

I'm not sure the wood would be able to withstand those kinds of forces as the trains go through a curve. I'd think it would be a maintenance nightmare.

There's a park on a mountain near Maggie valley nc, and it goes out of the station, down a hill and around a turn, then goes through a loop. The park is not open right now, but is reopening in 2014 I think.

Ghost Town in the Sky? Yes, I've driven by there before. I thought it was crazy how they built a coaster on the side of the mountain like that.

That's the whole point right now...Right now the anticipation and tension is building, then when time is right they will probably make a press conference & give off a specific date, then bam, release, wait for it next year. Think about Gatekeeper. Gave last rides of DT to start off, put up a fence with stuff on it, took a bit, then bam, press conference, behold Gatekeeper, wait till next year.

After talking w/ Don during KIC Day, he basically confirmed why. He basically in a nutshell said they release it at a point to get it out there and excite people, but late enough to make people come back next year.

• Like 4