Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

Diamondback has been well worth the anticipation and speculation, even some of the the way-overblown expectations here and there.

I'd do something with the color of the splashdown, though, but still, here 5 years later, DB lives up to the hype.

• Like 7

@kj

Not necessarily, look at Gatekeeper. Every ride is a bit different at how they approach it. I will say most B&M's are actually a bit more sporadic & whatnot than other manufacturers. Take Intamins, they really don't venture too far out or go crazy with their supports (take Millenium force for instance, everything is with the track). Wheras B&M's do tend to be a bit different in their support structures.

• Like 1

I have a question for people assuming it's an invert. Don't all B&Ms have a lot of parallel footers anyway? Look at Diamondback for example DiamondbackPreHelix.jpg

Maybe I'm missing something?

Compare these to Project 2014, then you'll see a major difference.

@ secondson

You are correct. Regardless of the size of the station, or even what kind of rollercoaster this turns out to be, it will draw crowds to the park. It already seems to be doing the job right now and nobody even knows what it is yet!

I just thought it was an interesting find to stumble across and it is a very good possibility along with an inverted coaster.

• Like 2

I have a question for people assuming it's an invert. Don't all B&Ms have a lot of parallel footers anyway? Look at Diamondback for example DiamondbackPreHelix.jpg

That's true, but consider that when it comes out of the helix, the supports become single and directly below the track, to support the downward weight of the coaster. Now look at this image of where the footers that can be seen are set up.

9184269897_33aa2e16a7_c.jpg

On an invert there are many more supports...two to one over an above track coaster.

Dang. Now you have me wishing there was a walkway underneath the helix.
  • Like 4

That's true, but consider that when it comes out of the helix, the supports become single and directly below the track, to support the downward weight of the coaster. Now look at this image of where the footers that can be seen are set up.

On an invert there are many more supports...two to one over an above track coaster.

^Lift hill supports are a little high, but I think you may have something there for the lift and the drop turn back towards Delirium. I think that might be the exact start of the coaster right there.

Edited for spelling and grammar. I hate ze phone.

• Like 1

Maybe to a degree they all have parallel footers. But I think when you look at a lot of B&M coasters, you'll see a mix of staggered parallel footers for the supports. For instance, one set of supports for a portion of the lift hill may be positioned to the left under the track, while the next set of supports is positioned underneath and to the right. Look at an overhead shot of Diamondback and you'll see what I mean. On other B&M coasters, such as Intimidator at Carowinds, most of them seem to be set off to the left side under the lift hill. I think the difference we're seeing with KI Project 2014 is that the parallel footers all seem to be falling in line. And when you look at most B&M inverts, the parallel footers under lift hills usually seem to fall in line, or show some sort of symmetrical pattern.

**Honestly, I could be gravely mistaken. But it seems the pattern of footers we're seeing matches more closely to those you find on inverts instead of above-the-track coasters.

@ secondson

You are correct. Regardless of the size of the station, or even what kind of rollercoaster this turns out to be, it will draw crowds to the park. It already seems to be doing the job right now and nobody even knows what it is yet!

I just thought it was an interesting find to stumble across and it is a very good possibility along with an inverted coaster.

It is interesting. I just wonder if the time it takes to turn the train itself would offset the amount of time it takes to load using a dual-lane station.

Just because the park is closed to the public doesn't mean it can't be open to the media. Then it would be announced to them that day and announced publicly on another day, which would fit into Don's saying it might not be announced on a day this summer as it would be two days.

• Like 4

I think the difference we're seeing with KI Project 2014 is that the parallel footers all seem to be falling in line. And when you look at most B&M inverts, the parallel footers under lift hills usually seem to fall in line, or show some sort of symmetrical pattern.

Yes, i think this is what makes it most intriguing. The Fact that the footers are parallel in both directions, more like a grid.

• Like 1

I think they'll announce it on September 13th cause that's a Friday.

That's what I sure as heck decoded too back on June 24th in this forum. Be careful to not loop back around to the announcement topic cause people might see you as 'whining'!!! That's what secondson sure did to me.

• Like 2

I think they'll announce it on September 13th cause that's a Friday.

That's what I sure as heck decoded too back on June 24th in this forum. Be careful to not loop back around to the announcement topic cause people might see you as 'whining'!!! That's what secondson sure did to me.

??

What?

Did I accuse you of whining or something? I'll have to go read through the posts around that time to see what I said. If I insulted you, I apologize. ashamed0001.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Okay, never mind. I found what you're talking about.

The only reason I left that post was because it seemed like everyone was getting upset that Don didn't mention an announcement date yet. It seemed like people were questioning that decision, and I was simply trying to defend the park. I thought this thread was about decoding the project itself - not the announcement date, so that's why I left my comment. I didn't name names, and I didn't have any particular member in mind when I left that post. It was only after you confronted me about how I personally engage in decoding that I got a little defensive and indicated there was a difference between trying to decode the project, and bellyaching that the park won't set an announcement date. I didn't mean to indicate you, specifically, were bellyaching. I went on to address the subject in subsequent posts, some of which were liked by many long-standing respected members of the forum.

I've tried apologizing in here, but it doesn't seem to matter to people.

I'm sorry for whatever I may have said that has insulted or offended anyone in any manner.

I've tried to say in the past couple of days that my position has now changed with respect to the **silly, small talk. If you guys would prefer me to eat gravel too, then I'm sorry...I won't do that. There are MANY times when you simply can't hear the inflection in someone's voice as they're posting, and I fear that is what has happened many times in my posts. I've already stated previously that I have trouble expressing myself sometimes.

Whoever wants me to stop posting in here, say it now and I'll gladly leave the forums. I don't want to be responsible for bringing down everyone's moods. If my presence here isn't welcome, then I'd rather leave and allow you guys to enjoy the forum in peace. I mean that. Just let me know.

EDIT: ** When I say the "silly, small talk", I'm not trying to discount anyone's opinions. I was referring to small talk which is goofy in nature, or clearly unrelated to the KI project for next year.

Half of the purple circles don't have a footer there... I was looking at Diamondback on thursday and it has parallel footers all over the place, I don't think the footers point to a clear answer yet

That's the whole point right now...Right now the anticipation and tension is building, then when time is right they will probably make a press conference & give off a specific date, then bam, release, wait for it next year. Think about Gatekeeper. Gave last rides of DT to start off, put up a fence with stuff on it, took a bit, then bam, press conference, behold Gatekeeper, wait till next year.

After talking w/ Don during KIC Day, he basically confirmed why. He basically in a nutshell said they release it at a point to get it out there and excite people, but late enough to make people come back next year.

Just wait till the 2014 Gold season passes go on sale.

If anyone is wondering I got the picture from a old Cedar Point button.

• Like 1

Maybe to a degree they all have parallel footers. But I think when you look at a lot of B&M coasters, you'll see a mix of staggered parallel footers for the supports. For instance, one set of supports for a portion of the lift hill may be positioned to the left under the track, while the next set of supports is positioned underneath and to the right. Look at an overhead shot of Diamondback and you'll see what I mean. On other B&M coasters, such as Intimidator at Carowinds, most of them seem to be set off to the left side under the lift hill. I think the difference we're seeing with KI Project 2014 is that the parallel footers all seem to be falling in line. And when you look at most B&M inverts, the parallel footers under lift hills usually seem to fall in line, or show some sort of symmetrical pattern.

**Honestly, I could be gravely mistaken. But it seems the pattern of footers we're seeing matches more closely to those you find on inverts instead of above-the-track coasters.

@ secondson

It is interesting. I just wonder if the time it takes to turn the train itself would offset the amount of time it takes to load using a dual-lane station.

Kinda getting off topic, but what program makes the 3d renderings for the coasters?

Wow, that's a good question. I imagine each coaster manufacturer uses a professional software package that is most likely not available to the public...or if it is, it's probably expensive. I used to work with AutoCad when I was in school, and that program alone was close to $1000 at the time. I'm sure the software used by actual coaster manufacturers is much more expensive because it has to calculate precise stress tolerances for each point of the design. I don't know if there is a specific CAD program for rollercoasters or not, but if you want to simply do a 3D rendering of a coaster, I'm sure No Limits would allow you to do that.

Uh...animation is typically done by outside vendors contracted by the parks. Then, coaster manufacturers who want to use the footage contract to do so.

And I'm not supposin' or imagining.

Oh, I'm sure that's very true. I thought SonOfBaconator was talking about a program he could use himself to create a 3D model of a design he's made. Ooops....my bad.

Believe it or not, some concept art (not POV's) are done using photoshop...like Gatekeeper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gatekeeper_(CP)_Layout.png

Click on "show extended details" under the metadata section.

Regarding how they make POV's, I don't know why I did it but I emailed B&M last year asking how they made their POv's. Surprisingly, they actually responded saying that they developed their own software.

• Like 5