Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

They were running 2 trains on Flight deck that day and the line was all the way up the steps that lead down to the bridge that crosses over to the station. It was the longest I have ever waited for it.

Let me get this straight. On Tuesday, July 2nd 2013, Flightdeck had a 40 minute wait? That's extremely hard for me to believe! Jr... who waited 40 minutes to ride DB tonight and then decided to marathon Flightdeck and Racer soon after. I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying....
I didn't look at the time, but it sure felt like 40 minutes. It may have only been 25 to 30, but it felt like 40. Either way, it was still the longest I have ever waited for Flighdeck.

Unfortunately I couldn't see anything new in the construction area from it.

• Like 2

I wa there that day it was really crowded. I was ****ed bc it was Tuesday but had Saturday crowd. It was weird in a way bc I do remember backlot was packed but like Vortex wasn't. I totally believe that flight deck could had been that packed after seei ng backlots que. it was like people there wasn't riding anything big. I'm glad flight deck is getting attention.

• Like 3

^ Everytime someone says twisty I think of that guy "and the ride is twissttyyy weeeee twisttyyyy".

Hi! I am new here, though I have been visiting KI since I was in my mother's womb (literally, she rode The Racer when she was 7 months pregnant with me back in 1981). I have been following this thread since late May when my family visited KI and I noticed they were building something where SOB used to be. My internet research led me to this forum.

I really don't have enough knowledge to speculate on what the new ride is, but I wanted to say that I am disappointed to see that the majority here seem to think this will be an invert. Personally, I have found most inverts that I have ridden to be very uncomfortable and disorienting. I love thrill rides and love sharing the experience with my 10 year old son, who is just now 54 inches. However, I would be hesitant to let him ride an intense invert, due to the force of all the positive Gs. It seems to me that an invert would go against the theory that CF wants to build rides that families can enjoy together. Maybe others don't share my opinion, but I'd rather take my kids on a giga coaster or a fun Maverick-style coaster, than on an intense inverted coaster. It seems if that is the direction they are going in, then they are catering to thrill seekers and not to families. That's just my 2 cents which probably isn't worth even that.

I completely agree with you. I much prefer Maverick/Giga type rides, but Ill be happy with whatever!

• Like 4

Large coasters = higher capacity(excluding flyers) = happy customers.

As far as theming, I agree with kinzel the roar of the coaster is all you need.

Ttd has better theming such as the grandstand by the launch than paramount ever had IMO.

The theming for tomb raider never worked, the gillete mach 3 billboard for top gun was lame, and whatever you call the theming on backyard stunt coaster.

Hi! I am new here, though I have been visiting KI since I was in my mother's womb (literally, she rode The Racer when she was 7 months pregnant with me back in 1981). I have been following this thread since late May when my family visited KI and I noticed they were building something where SOB used to be. My internet research led me to this forum.

I really don't have enough knowledge to speculate on what the new ride is, but I wanted to say that I am disappointed to see that the majority here seem to think this will be an invert. Personally, I have found most inverts that I have ridden to be very uncomfortable and disorienting. I love thrill rides and love sharing the experience with my 10 year old son, who is just now 54 inches. However, I would be hesitant to let him ride an intense invert, due to the force of all the positive Gs. It seems to me that an invert would go against the theory that CF wants to build rides that families can enjoy together. Maybe others don't share my opinion, but I'd rather take my kids on a giga coaster or a fun Maverick-style coaster, than on an intense inverted coaster. It seems if that is the direction they are going in, then they are catering to thrill seekers and not to families. That's just my 2 cents which probably isn't worth even that.

It's funny you say this. Many others on this site would argue that the "family oriented" thing to do would be to build the invert and not the giga. But I completely agree with you. Inverts are more intense than gigas IMO. It was actually what I was thinking this whole time, but never could find the right words to put it.

• Like 3

Top Thrill Dragster: 1,000 pph

Blue Streak: 1,400 pph

Intimidator 305: 1,350 pph

Flight of Fear: 2,000 pph

Cheetah Hunt: 1,370 pph

Kumba: 1,700 pph

Capacity is much more complex than you think.

As far as theming, I agree with kinzel the roar of the coaster is all you need.

You must not have been to a year round park before. Visit any of the parks in Florida and then tell me about Top Thrill Dragster's stellar theming. I'm not saying that the Cedar Fair coasters are inferior for their lack of theming, but putting a full sized aquarium in the queue (Manta) or running the coaster in reverse to imitate a chase scene (Revenge of the Mummy) certainly don't hurt.

• Like 7

Top Thrill Dragster: 1,000 pph

Blue Streak: 1,400 pph

Intimidator 305: 1,350 pph

Flight of Fear: 2,000 pph

There is NO WAY Flight of Fear does 2,000 pph. Maybe back then it did but ceratinly not now. Also I think TTD's hourly capacity is a bit higher than that.

Because...you know...300 ft drops at near vertical angles at 90+ mph are SO family friendly. <_<

And btw, giga's have high g forces as well. Just sayin'.

Yes but on an inverts a ton of blood always rushes to your legs which is something I find to be very uncomfortable. I just don't know why, but inverts have always seemed too intense for me and not very fun to make up for it. I guess it has to do with the center of gravity...

Because we cram the station and were loading two full trains at the same time. If you notice however cycle time is pretty long. Ride time from station stop to stop at unload is a few good minutes.

Trains sit idle on the ride slowing its capacity down...think stop to load, jog to launch and pre launch, go for train one, jog to launch train two then launch it. All of this happening mind you while two trains moved from unload and stopped and two trains before you went to unload and emptied. Lots and lots of little things that add up time and just slow down capacity a tad

Like I said, it is just my opinion that gigas feels much less intense than inverts. Obviously none of those options are truly "family friendly", but as a mom of a kid who loves Diamondback, I'd be less inclined to take him on an intense invert. They just have always seemed to do a number on me and I don't like the feeling of intense pressure the entire ride. I haven't let him go on Invertigo for that reason and we all know how short that one is. Again, just my silly opinion :).

• Like 3

Because we cram the station and were loading two full trains at the same time. If you notice however cycle time is pretty long. Ride time from station stop to stop at unload is a few good minutes.

Trains sit idle on the ride slowing its capacity down...think stop to load, jog to launch and pre launch, go for train one, jog to launch train two then launch it. All of this happening mind you while two trains moved from unload and stopped and two trains before you went to unload and emptied. Lots and lots of little things that add up time and just slow down capacity a tad

I don't really care if the train sits idle for a little bit while on the ride. I like to anticipate the launch and think about what just happened on the other side of the circuit. As long as you get ON THE RIDE in a quick amount of time its not like its boring sitting idle for a bit.

Don's next tweets - "all of the bad feelings have disappeared" "wise men say only fools rush in" "would you like to ride in my beautiful..."

I interpret those tweets to mean that he really just likes music. We've all been in a situation where something puts a song in our mind.

"I Can See Clearly Now." is just one of those songs, especially after a short rain; that and Harrison's ""Here Comes the

Sun."

It is a great day, and I'm outside. Working, but outside. Someone tweet "What a Wonderful World."

• Like 1

Beast1979- I see some bunk with a few of those capacity numbers:

Official capacity numbers, in many cases, are complete and utter bonk. For example, both from Kings Island:

Firehawk- 1,430 riders per hour capacity

Beast- 1,200 riders per hour

Uhh, yeah, that's not right at all, for obvious reasons- A 1 hour wait for Beast would actually probably be more like a 3+ hour wait for Firehawk. Also, Flight of Fear pulling 400 more riders per hour than Diamondback? Maybe when it ran 4 trains (Rcdb says it once did) but now that it's only running two (and with only 5 cars per train to boot), no way. If it did, it would be one of those rides with a 30-minute wait or less on a super-crowded day...

These capacity numbers are also complete estimates, and many factors are not taken into account. As a rule of thumb though, a coaster with at least 3 large (7-car+ or several 6-riders-per-car) trains, and some means (like a MCBR or something) to send a second train out when another is already on the course, that doesn't take forever to load/unload will have good capacity. If a ride is fairly short, like Flight Deck, 2 trains can do pretty well too. Rides that take forever to load/unload (Flying & Stand-Up Coasters) and rides with tiny trains that can only hold a few riders (like Wild Mice, BLSC) will have long lines. Capacity is one area where I would not 100% trust what most manufacturer's claim it is.

My two cents on the whole capacity topic, which I may be a bit late to...

• Like 2