Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

An invert can be just as good than a giga, and referring to another post, a giga would make Diamondback a waste of money because a gigs would drown Diamondback, it sensible that the park creates a smaller coaster to increase park attendance and ridership. If a giga would be placed, Diamondback would be gone before any next coaster, sounds like a bad deal to waste 22 million to spend another 30 million and ruin a good name to a park, because I would like to ride Diamondback into the sunset as a popular ride and not a ride collecting rust and dust. B&M doesn't like gigas and intamin isn't the most trusted with their rides, and there's a giga up state from the construction site, so why bother.

A giga is nothing like a hyper IMO... Gigas are on another level with their speed..DB and a giga could coexist very well because one was made for air time and the other would be made for speed, an invert on the other hand can only be ridden once or twice in a day before the average person will have a severe headache, KI already has an invert within a rock throw of this new coaster so IMO that does not make sense

Yeah, but KI also had a hyper "within a rock throw" of Diamondback, too. It's called Magnum. And...CP already has MF. So what's your point?

I'm getting a tad annoyed with all this talk about how KI doesn't need an invert because one already exists at Cedar Point. If we go by that logic, KI wouldn't be getting much of ANYTHING, except maybe a floorless or dive coaster, because CP already has everything else.

• Like 7

The concrete is hot, and reflects light, causing a glare. I'd like to see pavers or another medium used. Some greenery would be nice. When it had a 'jungle' theme, it was more inviting. It was cooler and more shaded, and had better atmosphere. I know the monkeys were a pain, but they were nice to have. The water area was nice to have.

KI for a lot of people is their break from the every day. As a pass holder, I want to go for a few hours to get away fro the mundane, and AZ looks very mundane to me- it has the same atmosphere as downtown Columbus.

To be honest, this whole Hollywood is Great! business that came with Paramount always bothered me. I know Paramount had to advertise their junk as best as they could, but "Action Zone" and all the stunty stuff left me cold.

"Come and live a blighted fantasy via our rides." Ptooie. A lot of us are happy with what we have, and don't like the "If it's not on TV it doesn't exist" attitude that many film companies have.

Re Don's tweet-

I loved The Bat. When my cousin and I would go to the park back then, we'd go to The Bat first, to see if it was up and running.

The thrill was the height, that was all, it wasn't particularly frightening with speed or extra thrills, but I loved it.

• Like 5

All of these posts suggesting that B&M inverts are antiquated technology and irrelevant in 2013 and "belong at KK" are really starting to annoy me. Allow me to explain why these arguments are bunk.

Let's start with the argument that they are outdated and irrelevant. In that barring insane new advancements in technology (like anti-rollbacks or the like) that doesn't happen to coasters. The first sit down looping coasters were built by Arrow in the 1970's. Does that make Kumba any less significant in the 1990's, or the same Arrow coasters less significant now? Our Vortex is 26 years old, and still one of the most popular rides in the park. Heck, the first hyper coaster was built a full 20 years before Diamondback, B&M's first hypercoaster was built 10 years before Diamondback, but no one complained of the hypercoaster "gimmick" being outdated and irrelevant when it came to Kings Island. It was a hole in Kings Island's lineup that was filled with an excellent ride, regardless of the age of the model.

Which leads me to my next point. Inverted coasters are not a gimmick. There are some elements of roller coasters that you can debate are gimmicky. 90 degree lifts, tunnels, backwards running trains, etc. But inverted coasters are an entire model of roller coaster, and designed to be just as expansive as the classical sit-down model. They offer their own unique ride experience not only for the invert model but for each individual ride. Saying that the inverted coaster design in and of itself is an inherent gimmick would be akin to saying that hyper coasters or looping coasters are inherently gimmicky.

And lastly, I would like to point out that if Kings Island installed a B&M invert for 2014, you guys would be the only ones upset. B&M has been building inverts since the early 1990's, and continue to build them all around the world to a wide range of customers. Some point out that the last invert built in the United States was built in 2006, and I would like to point out that that is because nearly every park in the country that can afford an invert already has one. The Six Flags parks have their Batman: The Rides, the Busch parks have Montu and Alpengeist, the Cedar Fair parks have Raptor, Talon, Patriot, Afterburn, Flight Deck, etc. It seems that Kings Island has, like with the hyper model, been left out of the party. And, like with Diamondback, no one when it opens will say "don't ride this! It's decades old technology, it's so outdated!" Instead, people will come out to ride it in the millions, as with Diamondback. (In the 5 years it has been here, Diamondback has given enough rides to service the entire Greater Cincinnati area). A B&M invert would do the same. It would fill a much needed hole in Kings Island's lineup and would attract millions of riders, because a large majority of patrons care only about what they have ridden at their home park, not its context in the global coaster industry.

And as for the enthusiast community, I feel like this B&M invert prejudice is being fostered by a small and vocal minority. I personally have very few rides that I dislike, and I can't think of an entire model of roller coaster that I don't like. That doesnt mean you cant dislike certain coasters, but generalizing an entire model of roller coaster is not a great idea. And most seasoned veterans will tell you that if you don't like a ride, then don't ride it. A truly bad roller coaster is any roller coaster that does its home park more harm than good, not whichever one you enjoyed or didn't enjoy. And a B&M invert would do Kings Island a lot of good. So if you don't like B&M inverts, don't ride the one Kings Island gets, if we do get one. Don't try and assert your opinion on them as a fact of the industry.

If it is going to be invert, then why not build a winged coaster... it is just the evolution of the invert and IMO much better. Hypers and Gigas are not gimmicks because they are labeled those because of stats not the type of train or track. Inverting the track was thought of to visually amaze people and make it look better than what it is. To me that is a gimmick. If the Invert is to be 250 feet plus and 85-90mph then that would be evolution of the invert, but I am afraid it will not be and have to rely on the gimmick factor that IMO is very outdated.

To be quite honest, I'd like to go today, thinking of getting away from the mundane, and right now, the thought of riding Flight Deck is what's causing me to want to go.

It's not the most thrilling of rides, but the experience is different enough for me to want to experience it again.

• Like 7

That is true but remember his interview, his ideas are on placement. Sure I expect the same as you do coming from Disney, but he has gone with a very generic company to be honest, except when it comes to Haunt. Now could he change the theme perspective? Sure, infact I see him doing major differences very soon from the latter era. Some of the first non paint theme pieces to Soak City came a few weeks ago, can you find them yourself?

Would you tell me about the non paint theme pieces? I rarely go to Soak City, so they would go unnoticed by me.

• Like 4

There is one thing I thought of that would support the layout as most people speculate where the lift is behind Sling Shot. Those triangle footers might very well be for the lift hill. It might be that the 2nd element (I'm guessing a vertical loop) comes either really close or even threads the lift which would explain the use of the triangle footers to handle supports for more than the lift.

Also, B&M usually sets up the track where the transfer is between the station and the train shed, which would make the station be right by the paths.

Come on guys, Why would Mr. Ouimet lie? He was asked a direct question and answered that there were no more planned. He has a reputation to keep and being caught in a lie is not acceptable, especially to the stock holders/ investors at Cedar Fair. Mr. Ouimet could have easily dodged the question but he answered truthfully.

/quote]

Just like the old "No decision has been made concerning the ride's future" quote about SOB. I believe they were saying this up into the final week before the decision to demolish SOB was made public.

Do you really think that this ride currently under construction has only been planned for since that decision was made official? Years of planning goes into building a coaster and this would be no exception.

As a wise man on this very board says, (I'm paraphrasing here) "Watch what the do and not what they say." Being vague, almost to the point of lying, is part of the job. Especially when it comes to giving out information to the public.

• Like 2

The boards run high in a place of heat upstop, grilling, being board to death really. Meanwhile if we get a new system, I would like to see a mister effect on the sign.

• Like 1

Here's something I came up with. It might be somewhat outlandish, but I wanted to try and do my best at the decoding. Let's assume that we might (not ARE) get a B&M inverted coaster. Each of these clues represents one of the B&M inverted coasters at a Cedar Fair park (except for Silver Bullet because I had nothing on it).

Cedar Fair B&M Inverted Coasters/Possible Clues

Raptor Cedar Point/Owl Prop (an owl is a bird of prey called a raptor)

Talon Dorney Park/Owl Prop (owls use their talons to catch its prey)

Afterburn Carrowinds/Dons How about a little fire, Scarecrow? Tweet. (Fire=burn)

Patriot Worlds of Fun/ Don quoting Steve Miller Bands Fly like an Eagle (Patriots logo has an eagle)...

I'm thinking Don read this post and is toying with us with his tweet about The Bat.

• Like 2

Here's something I came up with. It might be somewhat outlandish, but I wanted to try and do my best at the decoding. Let's assume that we might (not ARE) get a B&M inverted coaster. Each of these clues represents one of the B&M inverted coasters at a Cedar Fair park (except for Silver Bullet because I had nothing on it).

Afterburn Carrowinds/Dons How about a little fire, Scarecrow? Tweet. (Fire=burn)

Patriot Worlds of Fun/ Don quoting Steve Miller Bands Fly like an Eagle (Patriots logo has an eagle)...

I'm thinking Don read this post and is toying with us with his tweet about The Bat.

But I never mentioned The Bat. Don's tweet could just be a Kings Island history flashback.

But I never mentioned The Bat. Don's tweet could just be a Kings Island history flashback.

Yeah I don't think his tweet has anything to do with 2014. Just a possibility he read that and is having some fun. More than likely you're right though.

Here's something I found I thought was interesting:

[Originally posted by Vortexfan May 28, 2012] Sorry I'm on a tablet and this is the best I could quote it.

" Leviamania was definitely a huge success. Thanks to everyone that attended. It was a bit hard to hear at times, so I wanted to share this tidbit of information from the Q&A (Norm, Park GM):

Canada's Wonderland was meant to get a B&M inverted intead of the Vekoma SLC model! The deal was ready to be signed HOWEVER, Cedar Point had an exlusivity deal that B&M could not build another invert with 200 miles (as the crow flies) of the park. Canada's Wonderland is at the 198 mile mark. Cedar Point refused to let Wonderland build what could have been an AMAZING invert. So we got what we did."

The term "as the crow flies". We have scarecrows on the footers and the owls are actually scarecrows. Do a google search for owl and scarecrow and those exact plastic owls come up. The crow does not fly in that area ie a B&M invert may be built there. Just wanted to throw that out there in case those really are the clues. I know I know I'm overthinking it. But hey isn't this what the Decode 2014 thread is for.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to ask this but I don't have time to rea through 200 pages of information as I have just joined KIC. What are the chances it will be a giga

Why not read them? There are lots of fun facts, pictures and information that is flowing through this thread....you might even meet friends who share your interests!

• Like 3