Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

"Because Intacraps are the only thing in the park?"

Obviously Gatekeeper is a big draw to CP this year, but prior to that, i will go out on a limb and say MF, Maverick, TTD and Wicked Twister (Intamin) were by far a bigger draw than Mantis and Raptor (B&M). I have no study to back that up, but I am comfortable making that statement.

I wouldn't agree with that. I believe the year Raptor opened was the biggest year, attendance wise, the park has ever seen.
  • Like 1

Look, Intamin builds some VERY nice rides. But downtime with Intamin is just too often. No one is disputing the quality of Intamin rides, but the reliability of these rides is the problem.

In addition, I don't think the general public cares and/or even is aware of who the ride manufacturer is.

• Like 3

With response to the downtime topic, I think coasters that have new technology are down more often. Intamin makes more rides that are cutting edge then B&M and so they might have more downtime. My very short and simple response to this side topic.

On the other hand I do love reading this topic. Thats all I do at school is constantly check my phone for new updates!

• Like 3

I think quality and reliability go hand in hand.

As do I. But some do not.

I think Cedar Fair would agree with us as well. And when it comes to Kings Island in 2014, that is all that matters.

With response to the downtime topic, I think coasters that have new technology are down more often. Intamin makes more rides that are cutting edge then B&M and so they might have more downtime. My very short and simple response to this side topic.

On the other hand I do love reading this topic. Thats all I do at school is constantly check my phone for new updates!

As do I...it's taken ahold of my computer time during class, which is both good and bad.

My two cents: If the Intamin breaks down more, wouldn't that remind people of the ride that previously roamed that land clearing? And with B & M, there's nothing wrong with putting in another coaster of the same maker in a park. Now, if the next coaster after this unknown identity is another B & M, then we have a problem.

While we're asking these questions, are there any statistics or evidences about how Leviathan affected Behemoth's ridership up at CW? I've been wondering for a while what would happen to Diamondback's ridership if we did get a similar (but newer and shinier) ride on the other side of the park.

Can anybody enlighten me on that?

I don't think any coaster would cause Diamondback to get so few guests that they couldn't fill the trains just as much now.

The ridership numbers are the same whether the line is a hundred people deep, or a couple thousand people deep all day long.

(and at 9:45pm, Diamondback's line is almost always short, so there isn't a huge crowd keeping the ride open for hours extra.)

True... I probably should have worded that question better.

Is there any idea as to how it would affect popularity? Essentially, I have been wondering if Behemoth is now more of an afterthought with Leviathan up there, and if that would happen at Kings Island as well. I can see Diamondback becoming second-fiddle if we get a fun new ride over in Action Zone. Since we have a pretty good example of this in CW, I was wondering if anybody could comment on how a potentially similar situation affected the park? Thanks!

• Like 5

El Toro.

Millennium Force.

Eiffel Towers.

Bizarro at SFNE.

All VERY reliable rides.

Chang, a B&M, broke its chain on media day.

Probably the exception rather than the rule, but in the two consecutive days I spent at Cedar Point, Millennium Force broke down 3 times for at least an hour each time. Two of these breakdowns occurred while I was in line for it. From talking to another KIC'er who happened to be in line in front of me, apparently Millie had valleyed above Dinosaurs Alive just the day before. Reliability indeed.

And rides are sometimes down for reasons other than breakdowns. The world's tallest coaster, for instance, goes down midday each operating day for a state required inspection. To the average park guest, it appears the ride is down due to breakdown. It isn't.

That may be the case for that ride. But that rarely happens.

There are a lot of Intamin rides and most of you here are generalizing a few bad apples for the vast group of rides that Intamin offers. Yes some of them have quite a bit of downtime. Rides break down. How many times do you actually see Firehawk open for an entire day? There are plenty of other high quality Intamin coasters that do not have these problems. StormRunner, Fahrenheit, and Bizzaro just to name a few if anyone would like to add more. My point is there are far fewer rides that have these problems then rides that do not. If every single Intamin coaster had these problems then I would be worried. But they don't so I'm not!

• Like 1

Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, Volkswagen, KIA, Honda, Toyota, BMW - you see these on the side of the road and they are all vehicles that are said to be some of the best cars being built these days.

I see all coasters down at some point. But, just like the automobiles mentioned above, they are machines ---and not fault-free. Our bodies are machines too and none of us are fault-free (although there are some.....).

And in the end, whatever this new attraction turns out to be, we will all experience it and be glad that King's Island/Cedar Fair spent the capital so we can enjoy it.

Who knows - maybe there will be a real Banshee and she gives piggyback rides as she wails and hollers - a frightening sound heard throughout the park!

(her full name is Betty Mercer - hence, B&M)

• Like 3

OK let's get back to the topic and stop arguing about which type of coaster is better. There is not a right or wrong answer. Where is our investigative team? Let's try to solve this puzzle on what we are getting. It's not fun to open the forum and see a bunch of arguing. I like seeing new pieces of the puzzle being presented by other fellow KICers' when they find something new, not a rebuttal about how another coaster maker is better than the other.

:) :)

• Like 13

Went to park yesterday...they were doing some serious digging in the area where, if one extrapolates where the current footers are, would be where the bottom of the first drop would be/where SOB's was. Could only see it from Flight Deck, no way to get photos.

• Like 4

OK let's get back to the topic and stop arguing about which type of coaster is better. There is not a right or wrong answer. Where is our investigative team? Let's try to solve this puzzle on what we are getting. It's not fun to open the forum and see a bunch of arguing. I like seeing new pieces of the puzzle being presented by other fellow KICers' when they find something new, not a rebuttal about how another coaster maker is better than the other.

:) :)

I'll bring it back. I was reading the thread about The Beast having water, and i couldn't help but notice some similarities between the original sign for The Beast and this sign we see hanging on the construction fence. The original Beast sign reads, Due to the increasing occurance of mysterious noises, inexplicable tremors, and vicious acts of vandalism within these premises, it has become necessary to suspend the normal operations of the company. Althought the cause of this evil phenomena defies identification, authorities agree it is surely the work of some demonic creature of prodigious size, which for now can only be designated as The Beast.

Do the similarities come across to anyone else? I noticed a lot of people came to the conclusion the new construction sign seemed haunt related, but we see the same terminology with The Beast and we know how that turned out. Earlier in this thread some of us referred to seeing similarities with SOB, also. Maybe it means nothing. Maybe it's just how KI likes to do things to keep an overall cohesion to the park. I just couldn't help but to pause and think when I saw the original sign.

• Like 6

I'm going to go all Terpy on you all.

What if all of the clues you've been given or have found are just a diversion? The similarities from the Original Beast sign to the signs we see on the fence....what if that's just a diversion?

What if the clues aren't really clues at all?

• Like 4

So I suppose some of this perception of reliability is just a case of people complaining for the sake of complaining.

No, and I'm not complaining, just noting observations. Out of all the rides Intamin has built at CP over the past two decades, Millennium Force, while grand, is not complex in terms of technology. Yes, the elevator system was novel (and subsequently the root of most of its early issues), but Millie takes you up, and gravity does the rest. That's it.

It's not only an issue of downtime, which is greater with Intamin, but reliability in terms of getting what was promised.

I had no fear that Gatekeeper would open on time and be ready for me to ride a few days later. Why? B & M.

Wicked Twister, Top Thrill, Maverick, Shoot the Rapids...all recent, all Intamin, and all required significant, significant modifications that either delayed the opening of the ride or caused serious, serious interruptions in service.

Do they all run well today? Yes. Did it take an expensive, time-intensive effort to get them all to that point? Yes.

B & Ms are good to go out of the box.

That's the difference.

• Like 2