Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

^ In the pictures, to the very right of SOB's station, what is the little streak in the dirt that looks to be being cleared?...

It looks like there is a piece of equipment there. It would sure be nice to see them move out of that little area.

• Like 1

That's a weird way to get around the Point. Millenium to Maverick, pass by Magnum only to come back to it.

I know...I was just being hypothetical. :P (And wanted to list Magnum last...)

As for that piece of equipment, it seems like a bulldozer. Or possibly one of those tiny front-end loaders.

True... I probably should have worded that question better.

Is there any idea as to how it would affect popularity? Essentially, I have been wondering if Behemoth is now more of an afterthought with Leviathan up there, and if that would happen at Kings Island as well. I can see Diamondback becoming second-fiddle if we get a fun new ride over in Action Zone. Since we have a pretty good example of this in CW, I was wondering if anybody could comment on how a potentially similar situation affected the park? Thanks!

Still looking for an answer! Anyone?

And yes, I just quoted myself :)

"This is my question. Was Diamondback's construction, (before the track arrived), anything like what we have seen so far?"

I believe, as with most other B&M installs, Diamondbacks transfer track footers were among the first poured. B&M's typically have the final brakerun/transfer track installed first so those, coupled with the station footers are among the first poured.

Here's Leviathan's first poured footers:

IMG02714-20110726-1504.jpg

First track raised for Leviathan

2012%20September%2020%20005.jpg

Station/Transfer construction for Leviathan

Leviathan%20Jan7%202012%20010.jpgP1030239.JPG

• Like 8

^
I agree- Leviathan is going along great, you're having an awesome ride...then it ends abruptly with that brake run when it can clearly go a few thousand more feet easily. Alas, the fact there is an old Arrow Looping coaster in the way may have been part of this...Kings Island, you do not have this limitation, so do not do this! If it is 7,000+ feet or longer, so be it! As I stated earlier in this thread, too, a twister-style layout would also be welcome in my eyes...and, seeing how the land is cleared, it may be such a layout, or at least feature some twister elements...like a giant helix with good laterals. (Oh, the irony if the ride does have a giant helix, given those where a main feature of the ride it is replacing...) And, if early reviews of Gatekeeper are to be trusted, B&M may have found their "make forceful" button at last...which I also hope makes it in this ride if it is a giga, which would basically create this duo:

Diamondback

-B&M "Hyper" Mega Coaster

-230' tall, 215' drop, 80mph

-Emphasis on Airtime

-Weak-ish forces besides airtime so the GP can enjoy it easily

-Stadium Style Seating, 8 cars per train, 3 trains

-Splashdown Finale

-Out and Back Layout
-No Tunnels

Rumored Giga "Banshee"

-B&M "Giga" Mega Coaster

-308' tall, 300' drop, 93mph (McSalsa's estimates, not real stats. :P )

-Good airtime, but greater emphasis on other forces like positive-gs and laterals as well, as well as a few high-speed low-to-the-ground sections

-More forceful, still not to the point the GP will hate it, but enough to make the ride clearly feel more intense and aggressive than Diamondback

-Classic 4-across seating, 9 (or maybe even 10!) cars per train, 3 trains

-No Splashdown Finale (not really even needed, seeing where the brake run will probably be, it would hardly even be visible anyway!)
-Twister Layout

-Possible Tunnels (w/ Fog effects for extra night ride bonus? :wub: )

^This is kind of what I'm pulling for, if it is a giga coaster...it lets Diamondback have a purpose (GP-friendly B&M Mega Coaster) and at the same time adds a monster ride that enthusiasts can enjoy (but the GP still can too) all while boosting Flight Deck, Drop Tower, & Delirium ridership in a manner similar to what Firehawk did for Flight of Fear.

Oh, and another idea...I see the area where the water tower once was becoming a huge plaza with the ride's logo and shops around it, as well as Drop Tower, Congo Falls, and Delirium...similar to Leviathan and Gatekeeper. (Matt Ouimet did say he loves this idea of huge plazas for large new coasters)...in fact, I'd say this part will probably happen no matter what type of ride this is...

Wow, I respond to a comment on Leviathan's brake run like this? Man, new coasters make my imagination run wild... ^_^

• Like 6

^
Oh yes...one of the things I hate about most of these big coasters is that they get you to the top so fast, there is no time to realize "oh fudge I am 300+ feet up!" like on some other coasters. Beast at Kings Island gives you a second to realize how high you are. So does the 205' Magnum XL200 at Cedar Point. I say, have a pre-drop like that 300' up with a well-placed trim brake that nearly stops the train...you realize you are 300' up, enjoying/fearing the view...then the coaster dives 300' into a tunnel at 90+mph!

That is how I think you kick off a roller coaster perfectly.

EDIT: On second though, maybe not...read my next post... :blink:

^
Hmm...good point...ok, how about the lift slows down to a near-crawl at the top (kind of what Beast at KI does), then the train goes into the pre-drop which allows it to gain back it's speed, then the real drop occurs...and the rest is the same...

^
Dive Machines, named so because they can drop over 200' straight down at a 90-degree angle. Often with a holding brake on the drop, for added suspense. And they usually have more than 1 drop, and also have included inversions and splashdowns.

• Like 1

Thank you McSalsa. I would love to see a Dive Machine since I've never been to either Busch Garden or SeaWorld Parks in Virginia or Florida. Plus this would give Kings Island the only park in the chain to have B&M Dive Machine. Originally when I heard that this would most likely be B&M, I was thinking Floorless because Ohio doesn't have one anymore since Dominator left, however I think Dive Machines would be probably be the better choice. B)

I believe KI just showed their hand.

I have never revealed my hand when KI speculation is running rampant... but there's a first time for everything.

So here goes...

I firmily believe KI will be installing it's own version of Wonderland's Leviathan for 2014.

There, I've said it. It's a 300+ foot B&M. If it's anything else, then you can all laugh and point... but IMO the writing is on the wall.

Shaggy

Have to be that guy here. I have been saying B&M Giga in SoB location 2014 for a minute. There was a strong rumor that KI needed an invert, or whatever else, but I didn't go along with that way of thinking.

I'm sure I'm not the only one on the site to suspect it, and I was aided by reading information provided by posters here on KIC. The immediate reaction about the SoB demolition was how the skyline would change. What better way to begin a new chapter than adding a 300+ foot coaster on the opposite end of the park of Diamondback, and bring back the skyline? It was not ideal to have another wooden coaster in place of SoB, so steel is obvious here. SoB was HUGE. What would you expect from it's replacement? I think we are lucky to be getting the second B&M giga instead of the first :)

Kings Island is a B&M park, embrace it.

Alsmost glad this thread got locked now ;) :

2v9w13d.jpg

Link to thread

What IF it's a B&M launch coaster using the LSM system? Walter Bolliger did say that if a customer wanted a launch coaster they'll respond to them favorably. Here is the quote of what he said in an article I posted on here back in February and here's the link as well: http://www.newsparcs.com/en/article/00006007-how_bolliger_mabillard_established_its_strong_reputation_interview_with_director_walter_bolliger

Concerning future developments, Bolliger & Mabillard will not refuse to embark on the project of a launch coaster, a technology proposed by all its competitors and for which he made a hybrid creation (Incredible Hulk) for Universal's Islands of Adventure back in 1999. "If a customer comes to us to design a launch coaster, we will respond to him favorably. The technology is easily adaptable to our products and tracks as the LSM motors can be easily found on the market, and they are very efficient!" states Walter Bolliger.

I think it could be a different approach for the park to install a B&M launch coaster, and I know some of you will say that the park already has 2 and we don't need another one. But Cedar Point has 3 (TTD, Maverick, & Wicked Twister) and Kings Dominion has 3 (Volcano, FoF, & BLSC).

Another stupid guess: Inverted launch Giga woodie :)

BTW, Leviathan is by far the best B&M I have been on. I agree with people that the ride could have been longer, but how expensive can that be? I love the drop into the tunnel. The head choppers and twists are quite enjoyable.

• Like 3

If it is a B&M Giga, I hope it doesn't have that insanely high-up final brake run. It looks ridiculous.

From videos I watched, it looks as if there are some buildings and part of the Dragon Fire roller coaster under Leviathan's brake run. Maybe that's why the brake run is raised that high. I don't think Kings Island's will have that problem if it's a B&M giga.

Well guys I just left the park but i didn't take my phone this time because I knew I was going to ride Firehawk. There is a lot of new concrete work going in that you can see through the gate. I also saw a ton of surveyor stakes on the hill leading away from where the go cart track was. So hopefully soon we will see some footers in this area. Also on the service road behind Great wolf lodge there was a bunch of construction vehicles and portolets set up like they are getting ready to have a larger amount of construction going on. Now Great wolf lodge is getting a new roof put on so this could have been for them but it would be a considerable walk and I think it's Kings Islands property..

• Like 3