Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

There was not any real "backlash" about the name Banshee. In fact, unless you worked at Cedar Point or read the Sandusky Register, you would have no idea it was even suggested at the time. You have to remember the context as well. In the mid-90's, our society was engulfed in "political correctness" (have we made our way out?). Cedar Point was, literally, at its peak in attendance. Maggie, Mean Streak, and finally Raptor had spiked attendance at where it pretty much stands today; the plateau.

No one wanted to do anything to screw up the trend, especially with Millennium Force already in the works. No one knew they were at peak attendance.

It was out of political correctness...fear, essentially, that Banshee was ultimately dropped. The way people talk about it today, you would think people were picketing and banging down the doors of Cedar Fair demanding a change. Not so much.

It was basically a non-story, made into a story simply because it makes for an interesting bit of trivia.

And yes, Banshee will be the name of some attraction in a Cedar Fair park next year.

Is that what Kings Island needs?

• Like 6

I've heard that story as well from a former board member, but from how he put it, even they felt like they were in the dark as to what exactly was going on.

What a wonderful work environment.

My favorite tale of all-time is the Dispatch Master Transport disaster, but that's another thread for another day. :ph34r:

Terp, you're so dead-on about the simple word "savor". This type of excitement only comes around now and then. It's fun when one of your home parks becomes the center of the coaster universe.

• Like 10

The joy of not knowing, yet trying to divine what's up. The Internet has taken much of that away. Rare is the time, like now, that few know, and even few claim to.

The joy of walking into a park having no idea of what new ride awaits, other than a name and perhaps a billboard, radio ad or tv commercial. Those days are gone forever.

That being said, back then there also was no special time like this.

It's an incredible time. Savor, indeed.

• Like 7

I personally like being on the outside of knowing. It's fun to hear everyone's ideas, and who doesn't like a bit of mystery and detective work?

I'm especially intrigued to hear tonight (Travel Channel) what the supposed "biggest announcement in coaster history" could be. Could Kings Island be the focus? Fun to daydream about it being a possibility.

• Like 3

I personally like being on the outside of knowing. It's fun to hear everyone's ideas, and who doesn't like a bit of mystery and detective work?

I'm especially intrigued to hear tonight (Travel Channel) what the supposed "biggest announcement in coaster history" could be. Could Kings Island be the focus? Fun to daydream about it being a possibility.

whats this?? do you have a link?

never mind i found it..

What would the chances be of Kings Island actaully making some of sort of announcement on tonights show on the travel channel?

No because the show would be repeated just like every other show on every other channel. Every time they would replay the show, people watching would assume a new attraction would come. Too confusing.

What would the chances be of Kings Island actaully making some of sort of announcement on tonights show on the travel channel?

No because the show would be repeated just like every other show on every other channel. Every time they would replay the show, people watching would assume a new attraction would come. Too confusing.

Either way, Some park will be making a big announcement....

Or not...

It is probably the Travel Channel trying to draw in more viewers.

If they do announce something, it is probably only going to be something new to the general viewing audience. We, as enthusiasts, probably already know.

• Like 8

I don't think the show has nothing to do with KI. The announcement likely has to do with some roller coaster manufacture announcing a new model. If I'm right, I hope its B&M!

• Like 1

There was not any real "backlash" about the name Banshee. In fact, unless you worked at Cedar Point or read the Sandusky Register, you would have no idea it was even suggested at the time. You have to remember the context as well. In the mid-90's, our society was engulfed in "political correctness" (have we made our way out?). Cedar Point was, literally, at its peak in attendance. Maggie, Mean Streak, and finally Raptor had spiked attendance at where it pretty much stands today; the plateau.

No one wanted to do anything to screw up the trend, especially with Millennium Force already in the works. No one knew they were at peak attendance.

It was out of political correctness...fear, essentially, that Banshee was ultimately dropped. The way people talk about it today, you would think people were picketing and banging down the doors of Cedar Fair demanding a change. Not so much.

It was basically a non-story, made into a story simply because it makes for an interesting bit of trivia.

And yes, Banshee will be the name of some attraction in a Cedar Fair park next year.

I have a question about the name mentioned, "Banshee". I don't know what the fuss is about? The name of our other beloved (my KI favorite) is The Beast. It cannot get any more demonic than that. I accidentally wore my "Beast" shirt to a church picnic, and I got harassed about it. I was not meaning any harm (it;s just a roller caster name) I actually love the name Banshee for a roller coaster.

• Like 2

There was no fuss.

The notion that there was has been grossly exaggerated.

As far as I know, there is currently no fuss.

EDIT: I also don't want to come off as pretending that I know exactly what happened; as mentioned above, even those in CP's inner circle were in the dark to a certain degree...so whether it was a PC move, or a trademark fumble (which actually seems more plausible)...who knows for sure.

What I can tell you, though, was that there was no "public outcry" or backlash from the name at all.

• Like 5

There was no fuss.

The notion that there was has been grossly exaggerated.

As far as I know, there is currently no fuss.

EDIT: I also don't want to come off as pretending that I know exactly what happened; as mentioned above, even those in CP's inner circle were in the dark to a certain degree...so whether it was a PC move, or a trademark fumble (which actually seems more plausible)...who knows for sure.

What I can tell you, though, was that there was no "public outcry" or backlash from the name at all.

I heard the rumor that Cedar Point ditched the name (I guess at the last minute) of the urging of others. I read that on ebay, because someone had a Banshee button for sale, and the description mentioned this.

• Like 1

If the political correctness reasoning is true, then why would FUN be bringing back a potentially controversial name in a time where sports teams are being forced to change their long-standing team monikers and logos due to this reason, among other issues?

Also, the naming of a ride can really affect the attitude it gives off. For example, we have Boo Blasters on Boo Hill at KI, but not everyone likes this name because they liked its former name, Scooby-Doo and the Haunted Castle. Nothing really changed in the ride with the name change except for theming. It has the same objective, but some people just refuse to ride because the name is not the same as it was before.

• Like 1

That's precisely why I think the trademark-flub tale is more plausible. Like Terp said, the "PC" story makes for a wonderful PR move.

From the public, there was no outcry. Whatever happened all happened at 1 Cedar Point Drive.

• Like 1