Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

Would Cedar Fair or other chains trade mark various names that they might feel would be a good name for a ride just to prevent others from using it? Cedar Fair might feel that Banshee might be a good name for a ride that they might plan in the near future at other parks in their family of parks. They might see what the reaction would be for a name like Banshee among all the fans and if it is well received, use it for a future ride.

EDIT: I also don't want to come off as pretending that I know exactly what happened; as mentioned above, even those in CP's inner circle were in the dark to a certain degree...so whether it was a PC move, or a trademark fumble (which actually seems more plausible)...who knows for sure.

What I can tell you, though, was that there was no "public outcry" or backlash from the name at all.

You wanna talk public outcry at CP? Try wearing a Kennywood t-shirt to part like I did yesterday. I had no fewer than 8 people, both guests and employees, make comments about it to me. The comments ranged from "yay, Kennywood" to "you're in the wrong part of town, kid" to "are you trying to start a riot or something". I didn't know people at Cedar Point even knew what a Kennywood was! :lol:

Back on topic, here's a photo taken today at around 6:30pm. Based on what's visible in the park, I've got no idea what this could be. Based on what we've seen online, I've gotta agree with Shaggy's prediction. If the past holds true, we'll know in August.

33m8sx1.jpg

The whole former Son of Beast area:

69nw9x.jpg

• Like 8

I hope so! They have a photo on their Facebook page of Diamondback with a caption saying "if you like it, you'll want more of it." Great chance here they are referring to their liking for B&M Coasters at the park. High chance for a b&m. Now the only question is, WHICH TYPE?

• Like 1

In all seriousness, there is quite a bit of activity directly behind Slingshot. My first instinct is to say station, because that is similar to what Diamondbacks preliminary station looked like. But what puzzles me is that if you look hard enough, you can see three triangularly organized circular footers ready to be filled. If that's right, that will be the first circular footers among our square ones. In addition, there is alot of stakes in the ground to the right of the towards Adventure Express.

(I thought I saw a small circular footer there already poured, but its too blurry zoomed in that far to firmly say yay or nay.)

I am torn.

On one hand I love tall rides. But on the other hand I do think that if were getting a B&M Giga and it were to be taller than the Eiffel Tower, I think it would take away the feeling and the majesty of the tower being the main centerpiece of the park. So maybe instead of breaking records in terms of heights, we go for something else...

New At Kings Island For 2014!

Kings High School: The Ride

"A Ride so long you'll leave the park!"

• Like 8

Would they have trademarked the name already? If so, would it already be appearing on that web site?

But then what was Banshee trademarked for? Something in the future? With the construction currently underway at Kings Island, you'd have to think it would have a name reserved for it already.

I really don't know. I actually really like the name... but the fact of the matter is, they had enough of a backlash in 1995 to change the name. I just don't see them walking that line again.

I really don't know if they have a name yet or not. Realistically, until they need to start ordering merch and putting out press releases, they don't need it. I've always heard that the reason why they took so long to announce Firehawk was because they couldn't agree on a name, but I'm not certain if that's true or not either. I'd like to think that the name/theme and construction is planned far in advance, but it may or may not be.

• Like 1

considering theres a drop in elevation from where the "station" is and where Top Gun and the rest of the cleared land is.. could it be that it won't be 308 feet tall. but a 308' Drop using the elevation change. Just a thought.

• Like 2

Maybe, plus I don't think it'll "dwarf" the Eiffel Tower for similar reasons... the valley it's in is pretty deep. It'll look tall from the outside of the park, but not as tall as it really is. Phantom's Revenge is a good example of a ride that has a drop that's longer than you'd think because of the valley, which is a really cool effect.

• Like 3

Maybe, plus I don't think it'll "dwarf" the Eiffel Tower for similar reasons... the valley it's in is pretty deep. It'll look tall from the outside of the park, but not as tall as it really is. Phantom's Revenge is a good example of a ride that has a drop that's longer than you'd think because of the valley, which is a really cool effect.

The lift hill would probably only dwarf Diamondback by 20 or so feet if that were the case. The former coaster's station sits maybe 50-60 feet off the ground but isn't in the valley; the lift hill started in the base of it. If the hill were moved back to where construction is now, we'd have looked at a first drop at almost 260-270 feet. Still, I'd expect a fairly steep lift hill/first drop for Project 14/"Banshee".

• Like 2

That looks like a great spot for a new camp ground.

Camp ground? Where would I be able to charge my cell phone?

Exactly.

You can do it, you're a big kid. You know when I was your age, I was a lot younger than I am now.

But seriously folks. I'm not mega convinced its a coaster. Time will tell.

I hope its not a coaster, only because I don't like to be lied to. If you don't see me posting in the next few months you know why! I was told by Don last season that Kings Island wouldn't see a new coaster for a few years! If I cant trust him? I guess it is what it is? Lies!

I hope its not a coaster, only because I don't like to be lied to. If you don't see me posting in the next few months you know why! I was told by Don last season that Kings Island wouldn't see a new coaster for a few years! If I cant trust him? I guess it is what it is? Lies!

You could look at it that way, or you could be happy since you now have a shorter time to wait until new steel arives at KI my friend! ;)

If Don didn't look both ways and then whisper into your ear, I wouldn't expect him to tell you the future plans for the park word for word, as that would probably be a breach in his employment contract.

Now think about it, Don told you in 2012 that there wouldn't be a new coaster for a few years..

2012 turned into, 2013 which looks like it is turning into, 2014 before construction is complete. So we lucked out since 2 years is the shortest possible "few" years we had to wait.

• Like 9