Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

I realize I am new here, but I thought the idea of the thread was to try to decode the meaning of the sign. I don't want another SOB, but in just looking at sign, i thought I'd offer a possible interpretation of the meaning. I don't think anybody said "Rebuild SOB!" I thought everyone was just analyzing the sign and what we saw opening day. Why don't you say what you think it means? Maybe it means nothing. Just saying another idea is stupid doesn't make it stupid. Just saying someone is wrong doesn't make them wrong. I think it's exciting that KI is possibly building another coaster. I think it's fun that they try to give hints, or talk in coded language and we try to figure it out. None of us know anymore than the others so any guess is as legit as the next at this point.

Actually,some on here know alot more than others,im even somewhat sure some know whats going to be built. They wont say a word while the rest of us have fun guessing.Dont take anything personal on here,I think most of us are just sick of hearing about SOB and you would understand it more if you have read this forum the last few years! Its going to be much fun watching and waiting to see whats in store! I know Im going to be peaking through the fence every chance I get!

I think we are going to get "Grandpa Beast" or "The Son-in-law of Beast" Haha!! :)

Seriously though, I don't know what to think at this point, so many ideas have popped in my head: zombie apocalypse, devils and demons, mutants...

Whatever comes of it is going to be exciting and I can't wait for more clues!

• Like 2

anything but a wing rider i am already growing tired of them

Tired of them? Aren't there only 4 in the world? 2 in the US (Dollywood and Six Flags IL) and both of those opened last year? You're are tired already after 1 season and both are over 4 hours away from cincy?

I don't think KI will put in a winged coaster because 1. Cedar Point just got one and 2. it's a relatively new thing. It's still untested. KI can't gamble after removing a $20 mil (in 1999) coaster. Gambling is not an option. KI has to put in something they know will be solid, and they know they will get return on. This one has to make its own way and pick up some SOB slack. I think if they build a new coaster, it needs to boast something to grab people's attention. I don't think a winged coaster the year after CP opened theirs will grab much attention and won't draw people from in between the two parks.

• Like 6

I realize I am new here, but I thought the idea of the thread was to try to decode the meaning of the sign. I don't want another SOB, but in just looking at sign, i thought I'd offer a possible interpretation of the meaning. I don't think anybody said "Rebuild SOB!" I thought everyone was just analyzing the sign and what we saw opening day. Why don't you say what you think it means? Maybe it means nothing. Just saying another idea is stupid doesn't make it stupid. Just saying someone is wrong doesn't make them wrong. I think it's exciting that KI is possibly building another coaster. I think it's fun that they try to give hints, or talk in coded language and we try to figure it out. None of us know anymore than the others so any guess is as legit as the next at this point.

One thing that's for sure, this site could use better Interpreting. :P

Those yellow and black stripes tell the story! What else could it mean?

A bumblebee. Flying around on an inverted B&M themed to a bee, named Stinger.

I think you cracked the case! We have a new Reds Griile,next year we have a new B&M invert named Stinger(the Blue Jackets mascot!). Being a die hard Jackets fan I cant wait for this ride to open. :P

actually there was a hockey team in town years ago named the cincinnati stingers.... i kind of like that idea for a theme to tell ya the truth. not really because of the hockey / local tie in reference, but just in general. i could see a great color scheme and mild amount of themeing to an oversized bumble bee or yellow jacket!

Actually,some on here know alot more than others,im even somewhat sure some know whats going to be built. They wont say a word while the rest of us have fun guessing.Dont take anything personal on here,I think most of us are just sick of hearing about SOB and you would understand it more if you have read this forum the last few years! Its going to be much fun watching and waiting to see whats in store! I know Im going to be peaking through the fence every chance I get!

Doing this site for nearly 10 years, one thing I've learned is that most people think they know a lot more than they really do. Granted, some employees may catch wind of something that's going to happen in the near future, but I'm sure that no seasonal associate knows 100% what's in the works. In fact, I'm sure no one knows since plans change A LOT. What you do see a lot of is people claiming to have known about a project for quite some time after it is announced. There are also a lot of "told ya so"people in which they guess constantly and when something happens to be correct, they claim to have been the first to know on the forums.

• Like 13

My guess is that the park will expand the former SOB plot and that area into a Jurassic theme. When I read that sign I immediately thought of Jurassic Park. I could see them going that route especially after adding the new dinosaur this year and continuing with that attraction this year. I know Dinosaur's Alive is far from AZ, and that would require a massive expansion and be extremely costly. I just keep thinking whatever goes there will be Jurassic themed. It would be neat to see that happen, and I agree with a lot of you that a Verbolten style coaster would be great on that terrain.

Doing this site for nearly 10 years, one thing I've learned is that most people think they know a lot more than they really do. Granted, some employees may catch wind of something that's going to happen in the near future, but I'm sure that no seasonal associate knows 100% what's in the works. In fact, I'm sure no one knows since plans change A LOT. What you do see a lot of is people claiming to have known about a project for quite some time after it is announced. There are also a lot of "told ya so"people in which they guess constantly and when something happens to be correct, they claim to have been the first to know on the forums.

It is fun to guess. I'm not one to rattle packages at Christmas, but I love to see what other people think of what ride and where will it be. A lot of us have coasters on the brain, and when someone comes up with an idea out of the blue, I look at the picture of that little scrap of land and try to see what the other guy is seeing.

• Like 2

That sounds lame of a forumer to do that. So you're saying people should put in their final guesses in like the next week or so?

My mom always told me - "You know everything and that's it" (of course she was being sarcastic and using the phrase as a Polish put-down) but......here goes.....

I think these new terrain-hugging coasters like Maverick and Cheetah Run are very front and center right now. The area in question could handle a coaster like that, along with the theming that goes with it. Verbolten is a cool concept, but i think it could get "old" after a bit - I mean, really, unless the show gets changed, how many times do you want to see it? Expedition Everest is another example - the show will need to be changed to give guests a fresh experience once in a while. With Maverick and Cheetah Run, things can be added to enhance the theming, keeping the ride experience freshened-up at minimal cost. Also, if the area in question is going to be a themed area, room will be needed for additional rides, attractions, etc., so keeping the new coasters' footprint a bit more compact may be what we finally see.

I don't believe B&M has built any Maverick-like rides, but there's always a first - and they would probably do it much, much better than Intamin could ever hope to achieve.

Finally, bone-chilling screams.....I think it's just hype to corral more guests into a return visit after "whatever it is" is built. Hey, at least it didn't say "bone crushing screams" - we already had that with the last attraction that graced that area!

Well, mom - any comments from you?

• Like 6

in that land pic it still shows sob and people were talking about if they would use that land part next to it, but i thought the whole point of tearing down sob and the cars was to use that land those 2 rides occupied to build something new. there should be plenty of land there that they have already cleared to put something(s) new in. Or maybe use part of that marked land if need be?

My mom always told me - "You know everything and that's it" (of course she was being sarcastic and using the phrase as a Polish put-down) but......here goes.....

I think these new terrain-hugging coasters like Maverick and Cheetah Run are very front and center right now. The area in question could handle a coaster like that, along with the theming that goes with it. Verbolten is a cool concept, but i think it could get "old" after a bit - I mean, really, unless the show gets changed, how many times to you want to see it? Expedition Everest is another example - the show will need to be changed to give guests and fresh experience once in a while. With Maverick and Cheetah Run, things can be added to enhance the theming, keeping the ride experience freshened-up at minimal cost. Also, if the area in question is going to be a themed area, room will be needed for additional rides, attractions, etc., so keeping the new coasters' footprint a bit more compact may be what we finally see.

I don't believe B&M has built any Maverick-like rides, but there's always a first - and they would probably do it much, much better than Intamin could ever hope to achieve.

Finally, bone-chilling screams.....I think it's just hype to corral more guests into a return visit after "whatever it is" is built. Hey, at least it didn't say "bone crushing screams" - we already had that with the last attraction that graced that area!

Disco yeti wasn't a big enough change for you? ;)

I am just excited to see something - anything - coming.

I have been pleased with the small upgrades the park has been receiving for the last several years. But it's time Kings Island got something a little "sexier".

I like coasters as much as the next guy (actually, that's probably not true here), but I don't have my heart set on a coaster. I would love a dark ride. The more family-friendly, the better. Having said that, a coaster would be great too. Whatever they build, I would like to see a good strong theme.

A "scary" theme doesn't excite me as much as some others might. The one dark ride we have is already too scary for a lot of kids. With two little girls, I'd love to see something that appeals to them more. But that's just me. Whatever theme the new attraction has, I hope they do it up to the extent such a thing is possible at a seasonal amusement park.

My guess? At this point I have no guess. Fairly confident KI will never again invoke SoB, but beyond that I have no idea. The wait to find out is killing me - but in a good way. I'll have fun watching and waiting for new info and all of your theories - except those related to SoB ;)

No matter what gets built, I doubt I will be disappointed. It will either be something I enjoy with my kids next year or several years from now.

• Like 4

I would LOVE for a ride like Maverick to come to KI- I haven't been to a ton of parks (so far, Holiday World, Kings Island, Cedar Point, Geauga Lake, Kings Dominion, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg)...but out of all the coasters I've ridden at those parks, Maverick is definitely my favorite.

I think these new terrain-hugging coasters like Maverick and Cheetah Run are very front and center right now. The area in question could handle a coaster like that, along with the theming that goes with it. Verbolten is a cool concept, but i think it could get "old" after a bit - I mean, really, unless the show gets changed, how many times to you want to see it? Expedition Everest is another example - the show will need to be changed to give guests and fresh experience once in a while. With Maverick and Cheetah Run, things can be added to enhance the theming, keeping the ride experience freshened-up at minimal cost. Also, if the area in question is going to be a themed area, room will be needed for additional rides, attractions, etc., so keeping the new coasters' footprint a bit more compact may be what we finally see.

• Like 1

Those yellow and black stripes tell the story! What else could it mean?

A bumblebee. Flying around on an inverted B&M themed to a bee, named Stinger.

I'd think, you would be getting a call from the Columbus Blue Jackets to turn it into a hockey themed coaster showing their pride and joy mascot. Yup, you guessed it, "Stinger".

Edit - well this was a pointless post. I overlooked, Jr for Birdy already brought up stinger and the Jackets. Whoops :(

That sounds lame of a forumer to do that. So you're saying people should put in their final guesses in like the next week or so?

Basically he's saying that people who publicly claim to know information, don't really know. In this case, it's about the 2014 plans. I couldn't agree more with Boddah.

• Like 2

Just my $.02 at the moment. Concerning the "evil phenomenon" causing "bone chilling screams," wasn't there a rumored name circulating last year for Gatekeeper that was similar to "Banshee"? I remember that the discussion happened, because people were questioning that since Banshee was changed to Mantis and that they would never use the rumored name for that reason.... but I can't remember the name thrown out there? Thoughts? Was this rumor based in documentation somewhere (patents, etc)?

My first inclination when I saw the construction site photos was I really hope that Kings Island gets something that's high capacity. Getting another high capacity coaster to help ease the crowds on the X-Base coasters and Diamondback would be amazing. The last few major Cedar Fair coaster installs (since 2008) have clearly demonstrated that capacity is a big deal...

Behemoth - well over 1,000 people per hour (pph)

Diamondback - well over 1,000 pph

Prowler - averages around 800 pph but it's at a smaller park

Intimidator 305 - around 1,000 pph

Intimidator at Carowinds - well over 1,000 pph

Leviathan - well over 1,000 pph

Gatekeeper - will average well over 1,000 pph

I'm so thankful that Cedar Fair gets how important capacity is, unlike Six Flags who has completely jumped the shark in this regard. The fact that Cedar Fair continues to pour money into not only new high-quality rides but also the aesthetic side of the parks makes me realize that Cedar Fair is heading in the right direction. I can't remember the last time Cedar Fair announcing a major install that made me shake my head and or second-guess the decision. I hope that this ride - whatever it turns out to be - will continue the string.

• Like 6

As much as I would love a new coaster next year,I just dont see it happening from everything I have gathered.Last year they were still deciding on what to do with you know who,now you think they just up and have plans and the pieces to build a new coaster? I hope Im wrong but Im not getting any hopes up until I see it for myself.

So I was at the park on Saturday and I went up the Eiffel Tower. When the elevator operator asked if there were any questions about the park, the first question was, of course, "What are they building over where the Son of Beast was?"

Operator: "I don't know what they're building".

But then a little girl next to me, had to be 7 or 8 years old, said, "I heard that they're putting a new roller coaster in there and they're going to take out Flight Deck".

So there you go. Questions answered.

Next!

• Like 3

with the weather being what it is this week (about perfect from my frame of reference, but far from poor in just about anyone's mind), whatever kind of site work and/or foundation work is being performed behind the fence should be humming. Could be a lot of clues comparing the work seen saturday to what is seen this weekend. Heck, may even be able to spot work in progress on friday depending on how they're running their construction schedule.

• Like 1

^^I agree. I went opening day and I think I'll be there again this weekend. I had to peek through the fence last weekend and I'll be peeking through again this weekend and every time I go. I have no idea what I'll be looking at or looking for, but that won't stop me. I just hope they get to the bottom of whatever is making those mysterious noises and bone chilling screams so the workers can safely get some work done.

• Like 2

Guest Department47

I can't remember the last time Cedar Fair announcing a major install that made me shake my head and or second-guess the decision.

WindSeeker?
  • Like 7