Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

I had to laugh while riding Adventure Express....the whole train twisted their heads to look at the construction as we flew past..... :lol:

Maybe they saw a Banshee. Or a Bigfoot. Or a pterosaur. innocent0009.gif

Well if they have started growing grass, that would seemingly show what area they aren't planning on using.

No to be obvious or anything...

I don't believe it's that cut and dry. But then again I know nothing of constructing roller coasters.

But why would they worry about planting grass seed, just to have construction equipment trudging all over it and ruining what they'd just planted?

• Like 2

I dont see AE coming down anytime soon. Besides didnt they just repaint the sign.

And yes, I understand that giving the sign a paint job is completely different from giving the ride itself one (see Flight Deck). But still, why make a ride going out look nicer?

In 10-15 years i do see that ride being removed though.

• Like 1

I would hate to see Adventure Express go... yes, it's a little jerky at times but it's an amazing night ride! Also, based on the construction pictures and details thus far, it looks like the new attraction is going to be BIG! :)

• Like 1

While i am in school tomorrow prepping for finals, my homeschooled sister will be heading to the park with our church youth group. I'm sending my moms nice camera with her to take some pics o the construction. Hopefully shell remember and ill post them tomorrow evening/night. :D

• Like 4

I dont like that thing about the grass seed by SoB's Rose Bowl. That was a large part of what we thought was the construction site. If they are planting grass seed that is almost a sure sign it will not be going back there.

That just proves we have to wait until August to find out.

PROJECT 2014 IS NOT A WING COASTER!

Old news.

The green track at the Ohio manufacturing plant is probably not relevant to Kings Island, so it'd be advisable to just throw that idea out the window.

Is it another Mega Coaster? Let's not forget Cedar Fair was maladroit enough to build two B&M Mega Coasters back-to-back in Canada's Wonderland.... so anything is possible with this companies inane thought process....

station_overview.jpg

Forgive the large picture, I couldn't save it and crop it down to show just the shack.

It looks like the footers to the left of where you have the station drawn would be a lift, and then I started thinking that was a weird angle as it's headed straight to Adventure Express. You think they could use more of the land that used to be occupied by King Cobra?? Like this:

9se2wh.png

That'd also explain the footers by Sling Shot.

• Like 1

I dont like that thing about the grass seed buy SoB's Rose Bowl. That was a large part of what we thought was the construction site. If they are planting grass seed that is almost a sure sign it will not be going back there.

That just proves we have to wait until August to find out.

Right..because there is no grass under Vortex, Firehawk, or Adventure Express.

I honestly can't think of why grass is such a telling sign of where the construction will/will not be.

There is a difference between weeds/trees/random grass and a field of grass.

I have yet to see the grass for myself. Can you say without a doubt that grass seed was used here?

A high resolution picture would be helpful here.

Same here. I was, for argument's sake, going off of what others said. I'm hoping to make it back up to KI later this week :)

• Like 1

I seriously doubt Adventure Express is going anywhere, for anyone who thinks that...it is an Arrow Dynamics Mine Train coaster. The very fist coaster of this model ever built was Runaway Mine Train, at Six Flags Over Texas, which opened in August 1966...and is still going today. Cedar Creek Mine Ride @ Cedar Point opened in 1969...still going today. Adventure Express...opened in 1991. Compared to the 2 rides I listed above, it's a baby.

As for it being unpopular? The 15-minute waits on even crowded days are NOT the result of that...Adventure Express is a high-capacity ride, and at the end of the year, it still gives nearly a million rides. And I don't think AE has severe reliability issues at all, either.

And if it is taking up lots of land...I call BS, you just tore down SOB, Thunder Alley and have the entire former Wild Animal Habitat area to work with, if even the AZ midway. You can build a new ride and not have to demolish Adventure Express to do so. Adventure Express is probably staying put, unless Cedar Fair is THAT stupid to remove a popular ride that still has 20+ good years or more left on it...yeah, Mine Trains are a good long-term purchase for amusement parks, it would seem. ;)

• Like 8

If its the intamin track I saw going to ki their drops are a spiral sometimes. With a 45º cable lift and a spiral drop it takes up hardly any room.

And if it's the B&M track that I saw going to Dollywood, they have spiraled drops on some of their coaster varieties. See their line of inverted, stand-up, floorless, sit-down, etc.

• Like 1

Screamscape (I know, I know) reporting:

"2014 - Banshee / New Coaster - Rumor - (6/3/13) Screamscape sources have confirmed to us that not only is the new Kings Island 2014 coaster from B&M, but it will be a new large Wing Coaster. And yes unless things change, we can expect to see it fly under the Banshee name."

I hold that with a grain of salt, especially because of Mr O's statement and other things. I've only heard the idea of a 4D coaster being tossed around only a couple times...has it been ruled out or anything?

If memory serves me right, B&M's rumored 4D coaster had similar trains to that of a Wing Coaster, in regards to the fact that the seats are on the edge of the track? So could we be seeing what appears to be wing coaster track, that'll actually be used for a 4D coaster?

• Like 1

It's generally a good idea to take anything on Screamscape with a grain of salt.

Personally, I feel like this coaster will be a B&M creation sue to FUN's gravitation to said company, but I wouldn't mind an Intamin (the maintenance department might, though!).

• Like 1

Screamscape (I know, I know) reporting:

"2014 - Banshee / New Coaster - Rumor - (6/3/13) Screamscape sources have confirmed to us that not only is the new Kings Island 2014 coaster from B&M, but it will be a new large Wing Coaster. And yes unless things change, we can expect to see it fly under the Banshee name."

So even Screamscape is in on these diversions now?

With that Screamscape update, why do I get the feeling Lance got that rumor from that Kings-Island-Project-2014 page on Facebook?

I'm guessing that's why he himself said he's taking it with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Thanks for the correction Diamondback96

• Like 1

I've only heard the idea of a 4D coaster being tossed around only a couple times...has it been ruled out or anything?

I definately can't rule one out, just not the likeliest possibilty. They look like a whole mess of fun! I'd much prefer one of those than a dive machine, both seem to have smaller footprints.

If we are discussing a B&M, interest in watching grass grow seems very appropriate!

Expand on this.

Interesting how most on here that have commented in reference to my post keep discounting my hypothesis (which was that just because Mr. O's comments about no winged coasters on the menu does not necessarily mean we are not getting a winged coaster - if they have already ordered and signed a contract, then it isn't on the menu any more for consideration because it is a done deal that KI is getting one). Obviously these same folks chose to forget they are reading between the lines right now with respect to what is happening now- just the end of last year we were being told they had no plans for the former SOB area, which was true - because a contract was already signed for what is going in right now, so they have no plans for what to do with this area when this attraction has reached its useful life.

Some folks here have been quick to dismiss a winged coaster as why would they want another similar ride so close, yet Cedar Fair has how many WindSeekers, how many Soak City's, how many Planet Snoopy's, Dinasaurs Alive, Diamondback equivalent, etc. Maybe KI's will not overtake Cedar Point's winged coaster in a statistical category, but I could see one just a little shorter in height and length, but maybe add something to make it just different enough to draw folks. Just because the fanboys don't want two of the same thing so close doesn't imply it will not happen. Somewhere perhaps, some Dinasaur fanboy forum was speculating Cedar Fair would never put two Dinasaurs Alive in the same state and compete against one another :)

This is a business, and if they can negotiate a better deal purchasing in bulk, why not take advantage of it. With 3 winged coasters in the USA, why not make sure the odds fall in Cedar Fair's favor for the few individuals that would decide which park to go to simply because of a winged coaster - next year could be 4 USA parks with winged, two of which belong to Cedar Fair, coupled with their two parks-one price deal, they just got someone coming to their parks instead of Dollywood.

But alas, I have been told a cigar is just a cigar, so I will enjoy mine in the designated smoking area while you eat crow when they announce the dinosaur themed B&M dive wing coaster on July 5th during the showing of Jurassic Park at the dive in. :)

Who knows, maybe this post is a diversion...

• Like 3