Starting to Decode 2014

BoddaH1994

Just to clarify something...I'm not against the thrill seeker's interest in riding coasters. I'll be the first one to admit I wish KI would get an invert, or floorless, or standup that contains multiple inversions. What I am addressing is the mentality of needing higher and faster in order to be satisfied. Some people have said they want a giga simply because KI doesn't have one. My contention is that KI doesn't need one...at least not now. There are some holes in its coaster lineup that could stand to be filled first.

Clearly there was a time when coaster enthusiasts were satisfied with rides such as Vortex, but then CP built Magnum and suddenly Vortex was no longer the apple of a coaster lover's eye. So you had all these hypers being built at different parks (which took KI 20 years to get a steel version), and it was the "in" thing...inversions were no longer fun. What was fun was height, speed, and air time. Then they started building gigas....and now suddently the hypers are no longer enough. Everyone wants a giga in order to get their "high". What happens when a giga is no longer enough?

All's I'm saying is the young'uns need something new. The last time an attraction was added in the kid's area was in 2006, and the last non-extreme flat ride (this means excluding WindSeeker) was in 1986 with the Zephyr and the refurbishment of the Dodgems.

Would it really be such a bad thing if a gentle flat came in?

I wish they'd bring back the antique cars. They may not be a "thrill" ride, but even as an adult I found them to be fun and relaxing.

• Like 2

Just to clarify something...I'm not against the thrill seeker's interest in riding coasters. I'll be the first one to admit I wish KI would get an invert, or floorless, or standup that contains multiple inversions. What I am addressing is the mentality of needing higher and faster in order to be satisfied. Some people have said they want a giga simply because KI doesn't have one. My contention is that KI doesn't need one...at least not now. There are some holes in its coaster lineup that could stand to be filled first.

Clearly there was a time when coaster enthusiasts were satisfied with rides such as Vortex, but then CP built Magnum and suddenly Vortex was no longer the apple of a coaster lover's eye. So you had all these hypers being built at different parks (which took KI 20 years to get a steel version), and it was the "in" thing...inversions were no longer fun. What was fun was height, speed, and air time. Then they started building gigas....and now suddently the hypers are no longer enough. Everyone wants a giga in order to get their "high". What happens when a giga is no longer enough?

Question, which park actually has every single type of coaster out there that fills up the coaster catalog?

I don't understand the "in" thing because there were only 3 B&M hyper coasters that have opened between 2008-2010. One respectively for each year in the United States. Between the 2008 and now, I've seen more relocations of coasters and "new" types of coasters than constantly adding the same type of coaster throughout numerous parks. The new "in" thing is Wing Coasters because there were two that opened last year and one this year. So I guess that cancels out the inversions are no longer fun thought. In 2012, there was not a single Wooden Coaster that opened, so that wasn't the "in" thing, but this year, 3 have opened. Is that the new "in" thing?

But to the comment of Hypers are no longer enough, how many parks can add a hyper? Should parks that already have a hyper add another?

I seem to look at Canada's Wonderland that has a B&M Hyper and a B&M Giga and both attractions are doing just fine. I've got a few friends that visit that park frequently and both seem to have the same wait times generally.

We've seen that the 300 foot mark hasn't curbed people for looking for more speed, height and airtime. Look at Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka. They both have long lines generally. 400 ft plus.

So I guess the question you're really asking is when is it enough. Well we won't know until we reach that point. Those who visit amusement parks tastes change constantly with the type/age/area of people. What was once thrilling in the 80s is no longer thrilling in 2013 generally. There are some rides that fit the category for some, but not for others.

I guess I'm just frustrated with your post because you are speaking of the thoughts of all the coaster enthusiasts and "everyone." Me, do I want a Giga? Yes. Why? Because I think they are fun (I've only been on Intamin's), they give airtime and I love over-banked turns. Would I be happy if KI got an Inverted Coaster in 2014? Yes. Why? Because Inverts are fun. Would I be happy if KI got a coaster in 2014? Yes. Why? Because the park could benefit from any new coaster. Just because you've heard a certain number of enthusiasts or whatever that have said they want to get their "high" doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way.

When talking about Coaster Enthusiasts remember you're talking about a lot of people on here and not everyone here feels the same way that you think all coaster enthusiasts feel.

• Like 2

secondson, isn't that just the nature of progress? Who wants to build a roller coaster that's worse than the one before? How many camry's would Toyota sell next year if they said, "hey they were good cars back in the 80s, we're going back to that design, who needs data ports, GPS, airbags, etc...?

What if they could build a raptor clone for $18 mil? It would be wildly popular amongst the regular park patrons, but how is that going to get someone in northern Ohio excited about making a trip to KI next year, when they could spend $20 mil and make something a little bigger, a little better than raptor?

the 'tiques were a bunch of fun as a kid, and they're remembered very fondly on this site, however my last images of the 'tiques is of short lines, practically walk on every trip I made to KI as a kid. Considering the cost of fuel and maintance on those things, I doubt they were destined to remain for long, especially considering an owner that liked to pinch his nickles. The problem is, when they took them out, they put in a highly themed ride, then failed to keep it up to date. If the park had put in something more asthetically pleasing, and kept them pain fresh so to speak, the 'tiques wouldn't be missed nearly as much.

I just thought of something today. Whatever is being built I think it will be something big. No small flat ride or something like that. The main reason I think this is simple: Fast Lane Plus.

I can see why Fast Lane Plus includes Firehawk with the slow rider load time. But I think to make it worth the extra $10 they'll have to add something else besides The Beast. Like CP did by including Gatekeeper with Fast Lane Plus. Just a thought.

Question, which park actually has every single type of coaster out there that fills up the coaster catalog?

I don't understand the "in" thing because there were only 3 B&M hyper coasters that have opened between 2008-2010. One respectively for each year in the United States. Between the 2008 and now, I've seen more relocations of coasters and "new" types of coasters than constantly adding the same type of coaster throughout numerous parks. The new "in" thing is Wing Coasters because there were two that opened last year and one this year. So I guess that cancels out the inversions are no longer fun thought. In 2012, there was not a single Wooden Coaster that opened, so that wasn't the "in" thing, but this year, 3 have opened. Is that the new "in" thing?

But to the comment of Hypers are no longer enough, how many parks can add a hyper? Should parks that already have a hyper add another?

I seem to look at Canada's Wonderland that has a B&M Hyper and a B&M Giga and both attractions are doing just fine. I've got a few friends that visit that park frequently and both seem to have the same wait times generally.

We've seen that the 300 foot mark hasn't curbed people for looking for more speed, height and airtime. Look at Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka. They both have long lines generally. 400 ft plus.

So I guess the question you're really asking is when is it enough. Well we won't know until we reach that point. Those who visit amusement parks tastes change constantly with the type/age/area of people. What was once thrilling in the 80s is no longer thrilling in 2013 generally. There are some rides that fit the category for some, but not for others.

I guess I'm just frustrated with your post because you are speaking of the thoughts of all the coaster enthusiasts and "everyone." Me, do I want a Giga? Yes. Why? Because I think they are fun (I've only been on Intamin's), they give airtime and I love over-banked turns. Would I be happy if KI got an Inverted Coaster in 2014? Yes. Why? Because Inverts are fun. Would I be happy if KI got a coaster in 2014? Yes. Why? Because the park could benefit from any new coaster. Just because you've heard a certain number of enthusiasts or whatever that have said they want to get their "high" doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way.

When talking about Coaster Enthusiasts remember you're talking about a lot of people on here and not everyone here feels the same way that you think all coaster enthusiasts feel.

Obviously I'm not getting my point across. I'm not going to aggravate my carpal tunnel trying to convey a particular message when no one is understanding my point. But I will clarify a bit more and say I'm not talking about ALL coaster enthusiasts. I'm talking about the ones who have a "gotta have more and higher and faster" mentality in order to stay satisfied. Why does KI need a giga right now? Answer that question for me. Will the park collapse if it doesn't get one right away?

Expressing myself clearly has always been a problem I've had. So I give up.

secondson, isn't that just the nature of progress? Who wants to build a roller coaster that's worse than the one before? How many camry's would Toyota sell next year if they said, "hey they were good cars back in the 80s, we're going back to that design, who needs data ports, GPS, airbags, etc...?

What if they could build a raptor clone for $18 mil? It would be wildly popular amongst the regular park patrons, but how is that going to get someone in northern Ohio excited about making a trip to KI next year, when they could spend $20 mil and make something a little bigger, a little better than raptor?

the 'tiques were a bunch of fun as a kid, and they're remembered very fondly on this site, however my last images of the 'tiques is of short lines, practically walk on every trip I made to KI as a kid. Considering the cost of fuel and maintance on those things, I doubt they were destined to remain for long, especially considering an owner that liked to pinch his nickles. The problem is, when they took them out, they put in a highly themed ride, then failed to keep it up to date. If the park had put in something more asthetically pleasing, and kept them pain fresh so to speak, the 'tiques wouldn't be missed nearly as much.

You make a valid point about the fuel cost. But $25 million worth of gasoline comes out to be 6,250,000 gallons. How much gas did those things use on a seasonal basis? I wonder how many years the antique cars could operate on the money it would take just to build a new giga. You know what would have been cool - meandering the antique cars in and out through the Diamondback layout. Interesting contrast between a really slow old ride and a really fast new one. ha ha. Anyway, I digress.

Why does KI need a giga right now? Answer that question for me. Will the park collapse if it doesn't get one right away?

I've not really seen or heard anyone that has said that KI NEEDS a Giga coaster right now. Will the park collapse if it doesn't get one right away? It hasn't yet. When CW announced Leviathan, it was almost certain that some thought that KI was getting a B&M Giga the following year (this year). However, it didn't and the park is still standing.

To answer your question, why does the park need a Giga right now? At this very moment, it doesn't. Does the park need a Giga? I'd say yes. Why? To complete the idea of reaching new heights for the park. B&M rides in general are people eaters, so why not do so with a coaster that reaches 300 feet? Or any height or style of coaster? But why a giga? Because the park can, B&M can make it, the Giga coaster for B&M is something still new, there can still be tweaks made from Leviathan's layout and building process.

All's I'm saying is the young'uns need something new. The last time an attraction was added in the kid's area was in 2006, and the last non-extreme flat ride (this means excluding WindSeeker) was in 1986 with the Zephyr and the refurbishment of the Dodgems.

I wish they'd bring back the antique cars. They may not be a "thrill" ride, but even as an adult I found them to be fun and relaxing.

they built stratas

Obviously I'm not getting my point across. I'm not going to aggravate my carpal tunnel trying to convey a particular message when no one is understanding my point. But I will clarify a bit more and say I'm not talking about ALL coaster enthusiasts. I'm talking about the ones who have a "gotta have more and higher and faster" mentality in order to stay satisfied. Why does KI need a giga right now? Answer that question for me. Will the park collapse if it doesn't get one right away?

You make a valid point about the fuel cost. But $25 million worth of gasoline comes out to be 6,250,000 gallons. How much gas did those things use on a seasonal basis? I wonder how many years the antique cars could operate on the money it would take just to build a new giga. You know what would have been cool - meandering the antique cars in and out through the Diamondback layout. Interesting contrast between a really slow old ride and a really fast new one. ha ha. Anyway, I digress.

Pure guess here:

I'm guessing the average car used about 1 gal of gas a day x about 50 cars, so about 50 gallons a day, x about 150 operating days = 750 gallons of gas a year x 10 years = 7,500 gallons of gas, well short of your propossal, but there is a lot more maintanence that would go into the equation, plus the general lack of ridership on the ride. Italian stunt job remains a pretty popular ride today. Since you're preaching that higher and faster isn't what the park needs right now, couldn't it be said that the park would be sorely missing out on a ride that the "whole family" can ride together. There's not a lot in that 48" ride selection that doesn't go too fast for grandpa or too high for little sister.

The problem with removing the tiques, in my opinion anyways, was installing a ride that was designed to look a little "tacky" then not keeping it up to date.

Why does KI need a giga right now? Answer that question for me. Will the park collapse if it doesn't get one right away?

I've not really seen or heard anyone that has said that KI NEEDS a Giga coaster right now. Will the park collapse if it doesn't get one right away? It hasn't yet. When CW announced Leviathan, it was almost certain that some thought that KI was getting a B&M Giga the following year (this year). However, it didn't and the park is still standing.

To answer your question, why does the park need a Giga right now? At this very moment, it doesn't. Does the park need a Giga? I'd say yes. Why? To complete the idea of reaching new heights for the park. B&M rides in general are people eaters, so why not do so with a coaster that reaches 300 feet? Or any height or style of coaster? But why a giga? Because the park can, B&M can make it, the Giga coaster for B&M is something still new, there can still be tweaks made from Leviathan's layout and building process.

Okay. I'm sure we're probably in agreement about KI getting a giga. It's just my own personal contention that it doesn't need it right now. I would rather first see a full-circuit invert, stand up, or floorless with some inversions (ie. Zero-G roll, Immelman, Inclined loop) we don't currently see on any coaster at KI - and then they can give us a giga. But for people who insist on having one right away....sorry, I just humbly disagree.

It's all good. Carry on with the discussion, guys. B)

• Like 1

The best coasters I have ever been on are the fastest and the tallest. The faster something goes the better and thats hard to argue. To reach higher speeds you have to have more height. They kind of go hand in hand with coasters. Inversions/standing/laying/wings are all visual gimmicks to impress the casual person but really just slow you down and give you a headache. I just hope that it is not something with a gimmick and it is something that is jaw dropping like a Giga.

^Because rides like The Beast, Maverick, and Kumba aren't consistently regarded as some of the best roller coasters in the world.

Really? Kumba is regarded as one of the best in the world?

I'll give you Beast and even Maverick, but I don't feel like Kumba is considered such. Maybe I'm wrong, though...

The best coasters I have ever been on are the fastest and the tallest. The faster something goes the better and thats hard to argue. To reach higher speeds you have to have more height. They kind of go hand in hand with coasters. Inversions/standing/laying/wings are all visual gimmicks to impress the casual person but really just slow you down and give you a headache. I just hope that it is not something with a gimmick and it is something that is jaw dropping like a Giga.

Seriously? Go back to your bridge!

• Like 1

The best coasters I have ever been on are the fastest and the tallest. The faster something goes the better and thats hard to argue.

Well, everyone's entitled to their opinions....though yours is actually a relative statement. Do you have facts to prove that a coaster is better simply because it goes faster?

To reach higher speeds you have to have more height. They kind of go hand in hand with coasters. Inversions/standing/laying/wings are all visual gimmicks to impress the casual person but really just slow you down and give you a headache.

Ah...I see. That explains why there are so many coasters with "gimmicks" that have been built, and which are still being built.

facepalm-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gi

• Like 1

I can think of like 40+ coasters that contradict your statement.

• Like 1

Young'uns do get something new. They eventually are tall enough to ride the bigger rides which are new to them. New little kids replace the ones that are tall enough for bigger rides, so everything in Planet Snoopy is new to them. It's a cycle.

Hmm? My 4 year old loved her Planet Snoopy last year, now she would rather go to the bounce house! If you don't have kids ,don't speak for them! I get what you saying though.

And eventually your 4 year old will love Diamondback, which will be completely new to her. Another 4 year old will come around and take her place and love Planet Snoopy. That experience will be new to that child. Like I said, it is a cycle.

FWIW, you're right. I don't have kids and hope I never do, but I do not see how I was "speaking for them."

• Like 3

Several things:

A. Screamscape did NOT summarize here. Where's the giga discussion? The green INTAMIN track? The intelligent analysis? The Banshee insistence?

What about the Jalapeno popcorn, and the nachos with 3 cheese sauce and jalapeno reference?

• Like 6

And worth noting- who built all 3 of those hypercoasters from 2008-2010? Cedar Fair. No one else was building any 200'+ coasters at that time. In fact, Six Flags has not added a hypercoaster to any of their parks since 2006 (Goliath @ SFOG)...even though not every Six Flags has one (Six Flags St. Louis comes to mind there). Granted, in 2012, we did get SkyRush @ Hersheypark and Shamabahala (Hope I spelled that right) @ Port Adventura, so perhaps other non-CF parks are starting to get in the hyper/giga mood...but I don't see gigas or even new hypers popping up like crazy, unless it's in China or something, or a new park that is just opening for the first time and needs that "monster" steel coaster in its initial lineup.

There is still green intamin track that could be close to ki.

Will you please give it up?

Screamscape sources have confirmed to us that not only is the new Kings Island 2014 coaster from B&M, but it will be a new large Wing Coaster. And yes… unless things change, we can expect to see it fly under the Banshee name this is unbeleivible

You are never grammatically correct, please improve your grammar skills. I'm not being rude, just please use the skills we're being taught in school.