Reds HOF Grill...thoughts, everyone!

RD Reynolds

Posted this in my trip report, thought it would be good to have it here so we could all discuss our thoughts on the place as the season goes on...

- We did the Reds Grille, and as others have noted, it was a rough first day for them. Our orders were not correct (missing side items, for instance), took a long time, etc. etc.. I felt bad for the poor girl waiting on us, she seemed completely stressed out as there were a LOT of folks complaining about long waits for food and missing items. What we were able to surmise is that the kitchen did not quite have their act together yet. Now, having said that, the food was very, very good (the ribs were fantastic) and the atmosphere and layout are excellent for old time Reds fans like me. It's just going to take the staff some time to find their rhythm I think. If, and I think more likely, ONCE they do, it will for sure be my fave place to eat at the park.

OH! Forgot to mention that the cheese sticks were GREAT! Is that LaRosa's sauce with them?

• Like 1

I am friends with an employee from the Grille and it just sounds like a rough first day all around. Lots of computer issues, miscommunication, and understaffing. not much you can do when it all happens at once though. I do commend them for their resilience in the situation though.

Besides the long wait times for food and service, I heard that people were very happy with the staff and happy with the quality of the food (once it got there).

I look forward to checking it out when I visit, especially to mess with my buddy, but being a server myself I respect all they had to go through and sympathize with them. It was the first go, i'm sure management and staff will get things rolling very well for the rest of the season though.

• Like 1

The Reds grill looks great; I didn't get to eat there yesterday but I did take a look around and they had some really cool stuff. I was impressed and I'm not even that much of a sports fan! :D Although this is true, I do know they had some issues yesterday.

• Like 1

Consider opening day as their stress test. They now know what worked and what needs worked on. Up until opening day, their training was just the basics and learning their job. Working at a regular sit down restaurant requires that the workers work as a team, from the waiters, bus help, hosts, bartenders, cooks and kitchen staff. I have worked at the Golden Lamb and it is hectic on special occasions and everyone works together and you find what needs worked on by stress tests. I would say they will get better the next weekend after their opening day stress test.

• Like 2

Sadly the problems weren't limited to the Reds HoF grille. Food services in general seemed to struggle throughout the entire day. Be it understaffed, computer issues, or just the opening day onslaught, it was bad. Excluding one particular server though, the staff seemed to be trying their best to deal.

• Like 1

I only go to the park once or twice a year, when I'm lucky. So I really have two topics I'd like some people to hit on.

Wait times: When I am at the park, time is important to me. I want to be smart with my time and get as many rides and stuff in as possible. Although, I nice sit-down restaurant does sound appealing if I want to take a small break as opposed to going to the food court. But with so many people in the park on any given day, located right beside one of the most popular rides in the park; I can't see the waits being anything other than absurdly long.

Pricing: I have always been used to Holiday World's pricing. And what I think is "fair" or "good" pricing, is not exactly Cedar Fair "fair" pricing. So I'm trying to better gauge the prices. Are the prices worth it? As opposed to going to the food court or something quick.

I only go to the park once or twice a year, when I'm lucky. So I really have two topics I'd like some people to hit on.

Wait times: When I am at the park, time is important to me. I want to be smart with my time and get as many rides and stuff in as possible. Although, I nice sit-down restaurant does sound appealing if I want to take a small break as opposed to going to the food court. But with so many people in the park on any given day, located right beside one of the most popular rides in the park; I can't see the waits being anything other than absurdly long.

Pricing: I have always been used to Holiday World's pricing. And what I think is "fair" or "good" pricing, is not exactly Cedar Fair "fair" pricing. So I'm trying to better gauge the prices. Are the prices worth it? As opposed to going to the food court or something quick.

We actually went in at like 11am, asked if we could get a reservation for later. There was a bit of confusion, but they finally said, "Sure, why not?" and we said "Ok, 1pm." We came back at 1pm, and I was thinking there was zero chance we'd get seated and the confusion. I was wrong. We were immediately seated! So if you can set a reservation, then I see this as a no brainer for us to eat there fairly frequently...

We actually went in at like 11am, asked if we could get a reservation for later. There was a bit of confusion, but they finally said, "Sure, why not?" and we said "Ok, 1pm." We came back at 1pm, and I was thinking there was zero chance we'd get seated and the confusion. I was wrong. We were immediately seated! So if you can set a reservation, then I see this as a no brainer for us to eat there fairly frequently...

We actually had the opposite experience. We tried to make a reservation and were told that they didn't do that. They did, however, offer to take one of our phone numbers and have the system text us when a table was ready. I imagine that after this past weekend, reservations will be the way to go with that place.

The food there is amazing, though. Don't get discouraged if you didn't get in on Saturday. Definitely give it a shot!

• Like 2

Consider opening day as their stress test. They now know what worked and what needs worked on. Up until opening day, their training was just the basics and learning their job. Working at a regular sit down restaurant requires that the workers work as a team, from the waiters, bus help, hosts, bartenders, cooks and kitchen staff. I have worked at the Golden Lamb and it is hectic on special occasions and everyone works together and you find what needs worked on by stress tests. I would say they will get better the next weekend after their opening day stress test.

I think you have worked every job imaginable.

• Like 2

My ribs were awesome,my wife didnt care much for her grilled chicken sandwich,said it wasnt seasoned and was just very plain.Next time I want to order the fried pickles(big fan),did anybody have any and were they good?

Boddah, Dane and I had them at the media preview. Those two didn't care for them, but I ate way more than a healthy amount. They were my favorite thing.

• Like 3

My wife, grandson and I went yesterday. Ate around 1:30pm. 20 minute wait. The service was GREAT. Not time at all for food (maybe 10 minutes at MOST) and the value is unmatched in the park.

Seems like the problems the had the week before were solved. Very impressed with the new addition.

• Like 2

I went in around 12:30 on Friday by myself. No wait for a table at all. Service was great, except that it took a while to get my food. The pulled pork sandwich was excellent, but not very big for the price. The sides were bigger than the sandwich. The cheesecake was meh; I can get far better cheesecake at the nearby Outback Steakhouse for a lower price. I'll go there again, but will order something different next time.

me and my wife went on opening day i was so happy when i went in then i told them 2 for a booth then they try to seat us at a table that someoneeles was already there then we sat at a booth we order are food we both had the red leg buger it was very good hot yummy it took about 10-15mins to bring it at first they brought us the ppl sitting behind us there order. not to bright then my wife went to look around i waited for the bill it took 25mins to bring it then when i went to pay it the guy try to keep my change. alot of ppl had there order messed up when i go back i hope they got it together i dont want to hear it was opening day we were slamed.

me and my wife went on opening day i was so happy when i went in then i told them 2 for a booth then they try to seat us at a table that someoneeles was already there then we sat at a booth we order are food we both had the red leg buger it was very good hot yummy it took about 10-15mins to bring it at first they brought us the ppl sitting behind us there order. not to bright then my wife went to look around i waited for the bill it took 25mins to bring it then when i went to pay it the guy try to keep my change. alot of ppl had there order messed up when i go back i hope they got it together i dont want to hear it was opening day we were slamed.

Please read the Terms of Service:

Spelling and grammar: You guys know how to write; I have no doubt about that. Please take the time to read over your posts before you post them to ensure that it's not confusing. This includes proper spelling, punctuation, and capitalization mainly. AND PLEASE DON'T YELL!

Posts like yours without any attempt at proper capitalization and very little punctuation are nearly impossible to read. The TOS requires that you use proper spelling, capitalization, and punctuation for that very reason. Please do so.

I went in around 12:30 on Friday by myself. No wait for a table at all. Service was great, except that it took a while to get my food. The pulled pork sandwich was excellent, but not very big for the price. The sides were bigger than the sandwich. The cheesecake was meh; I can get far better cheesecake at the nearby Outback Steakhouse for a lower price. I'll go there again, but will order something different next time.

I loved the pulled pork sandwich, it was pretty big in my opinion but there were a TON of fries. Everything was hot and fresh. My wife had the red leg burger with sweet potato fries, she really liked her meal. Service wasn't the fastest, but our server was very friendly and helpful. We could tell she was new, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was her first job. She wasn't the most attentive, but she didn't ignore us either.

We definitely enjoyed the experience overall, and we'll be back!

• Like 2