Which park do you love more? KI or KD

SonofBaconator

I went to Kings Dominion earlier this month for the first time and like chugh43 said, it's just weird. The entrance is weird and the layout is weird. The park is totally off centered. Also I can't seem to figure it out but the International Street section with the fountains seems so different from Kings Island.

• Like 1

I've been to Kings Island more times than I can count and have been visiting since I was a child (and afraid to ride The Beastie, I might add...)- so I may be a little biased. I've visited Kings Dominion twice, and while I have enjoyed my visits I'm glad to call Kings Island my home park.

I find KD bizarre that when I was walking on the right side of International Street, I wanted to turn right after being half way (in relation to KI, where the first entrance into Planet Snoopy would be) but I couldn't because that was a backstage area. I thought it was odd that at the half way point on I.S. on the left side you'd hit up Dominator, Berserker and that was basically it. Just not a fan of the layout.

KD is a nicer park, in all categories. Sorry, but the ride selection is better all around (just MHO because I have a very special spot in my Heart for Dominator, and I far prefer I305 to DB... I could honestly fall asleep on DB), they still have the 'tiques and Eagles, the fully matured trees look GREAT and gives the park a really nice feel, the employees are absolutely fantastic (must be the Southern Hospitality thing), and I simply just "enjoyed" the whole experience there more than I ever have at KI. Granted, RWCW back in 09 was great, but it was the people I was with that made it great, not the park.

• Like 2

Overall I tend to prefer my home away from home, KI, better. KD has nicer shade and many parts of the park are prettier and still have the old charm. Kings Island wins if for no other reason than they run more trains. The number of times I've had to wait in line at KD for one train operation...grrrrrr....

Plus I'm also partial to it after having worked there. I miss it a lot!

• Like 1

I prefer KD to KI for many reasons, the park is so beautiful with the landscaping and the way the areas are themed (except for FoF being in "The Congo"), I think the rides at KD are more intense and just plain better, and I don't know why but it seems like KD is always cleaner than KI.

• Like 1

I prefer KD to KI for many reasons, the park is so beautiful with the landscaping and the way the areas are themed (except for FoF being in "The Congo"), I think the rides at KD are more intense and just plain better, and I don't know why but it seems like KD is always cleaner than KI.

And much less attended. :) I've not had that experience yet, as I find KI to be pretty darn clean considering how many people go there. KD is beautiful, and until they screwed it up a couple years ago and put an unneeded unmentionable pinching, ride killing device on Hurler, they won me over by not having trims on any of their wooden coasters.

• Like 1

With both being sister parks, we are always going to find the good and bad of both parks. When it comes to rides I have many favorites at Kings Dominion that I do wish Kings Island had. For instance, an inverted swinging ship, a launch coaster like Volcano, a giga coaster, the old style stand up (Shockwave), they have a great Wild Mouse coaster, still have the antique cars, still have the flying eagles, and their log flume feels like a rustic woods flume not themed to cartoons. I have to admit when it comes to placing rides I think Kings Dominion in the latter years has no concept on where to put rides, "Oh we get Dominator, lets just throw it in the parking lot", what does bobsledding and the congo have in common when it comes to Avalanche. Then on top of that lets throw Flight of Fear, 305, and Backlot into the Congo also. When Waterworks was built it was very small compared to its layout now, was very condensed but when they needed to add more it got spread out so far that it is a workout just going to different attractions. Now I do love Kings Dominion even though Kings Island is my home park but when it comes to food I think Kings Island has to have that hands down, and friendlier staff. Rides I have to give to the Dominion, and a cleaner and better landscaped park. My biggest issue will always be Kings Dominion still has a campground next door which is why I spend more time there, I am so sick of having to shuttle family back and forth to Kings Island from 6 miles away, when we can all use bikes at Kings Dominion..

• Like 3

The only coaster that I'd move from KD to KI would be Dominator. I've heard so many raving about the Flying Eagles, but I've never ridden them! EDIT: Might be going to the Columbus Zoo today, I think they may have the ride there.... Still might be going to the zoo, but Jungle Jack's Landing, where the ride is located, does not open until May 4.

The question is "which park do you love more and why?"

For me, it is Kings Island, because:

• There's 41 years of family tradition associated with this park;
  • It's where the "Partridge" and "Brady" families put our hometown on the map, so to speak;
  • It's where Evel and Robbie Knievel made their big jumps;
  • It's in my hometown;
  • It is a place of peace for me (except for when someone cuts in line :lol: );

but seriously,

• I can't think of any place I enjoy being than in the shaded plaza in Rivertown that sits between PotatoWorks and the Train Station on warm, balmy summer days... the center of the universe, you know?
  • Like 2

Thrill Biscuit - you just made my night! You've got the right ideas on things.

As for the comment to Hurler, I loved it without the trim. Now it just shuffles around all the corners because it's not going fast enough to go around them correctly, and the airtime is pretty much gone. Carowinds and KD both got the trims at the same time, and my opinion of them went from good to meh.

• Like 1