Something New Coming (Not in SOB's Area)

TTD-120-420

As one of the most photographed back drops of the park as one enters, I am sure management has consulted with one of the new Kodak business units for use of the proper background colors in order to achieve that perfect picture on a sunny, blue sky day. I don't think I would purchase my picture in front of something with water that has a black, less cheerful effect to it (unless it was Haunt).

The aural features alone have changed that area dramatically, and, in my opinion, not in a good way.

And Mr. Ouimet has said the KI and KD fountains will get new features.

Agreed on the music.

If we get back the theme-appropriate music, they can paint the fountains any color they want.

• Like 2

In all due respect, at least Mr. Ouimet is trying to help Kings Island and other Cedar Fair parks. He really wants to make the people feel like this park is world class fun and excitement for all the family. I believe that personally he could make a good show for the enterance but then again one man's first, can be a test for the future, IE WindSeeker. I expect a better thing than this personally, a good view of the fountains shouldn't be destroyed for something like this, Canada's Wonderland if you remember had a very....less spectacular view of fountains, with this it looks a bit better than it did before. Kings Island in all honesty will have a better show than this.

Just because it will be done at another park doesn't mean it will be done at ours. Did we get Gatekeeper? Did we get Leviathan? Are we getting Larson flying scooters?

No, but Ouimet never said Kings Island was getting any of those. If you looked closely at the first post Ouimet said changes were coming for the fountains.

• 1 month later...

If they do a fountain show, they shouldn't add new water cannons to make a full scale Dubai or Bellagio style show. My idea would be to synchronize what we currently have here to dance to the background music along International Street, and not necessarily change the visual look of the fountains themselves. Adding LED lights to the fountains, computerized to dance and shuffle at night would be pretty cool in my opinion. A full scale show with lasers, like at Canada's Wonderland, would make Kings Island a little more of a commercial sell-out.

My look of it is that Canada's Wonderland's show is big and loud and if duplicated at KI, would take away the relaxing and peaceful effect the current water features present. I think a lot could be done with the current water features, without adding anything new, that would result in a good fountain show that doesn't take away from International Street. I am not a huge fan of large scale light shows and it is not the best thing to do to our Royal Fountains. Our fountains, I believe, are programmed by switches on a turntable, when a switch is flipped, the water effect changes and a certain colour(s) of light come on and displays a magnificent effect. The fountain's could be modified to perform via computer nowadays. I think there are ways of doing it that way with musical soundtracks that fit the area nicely. I do not mind them painting the bottom black like CW though.

• Like 1

I do think black would give a more lagoon look. It's not a formal enough look in my opinion for the fountains and pool. However I do think some other finishes could enhance them. This site http://www.vikingpools.net/colors.php shows some different options for pool surfaces. I think the pacific blue shown would look quite nicely.

Or if it ain't broke...

My look of it is that Canada's Wonderland's show is big and loud and if duplicated at KI, would take away the relaxing and peaceful effect the current water features present. I think a lot could be done with the current water features, without adding anything new, that would result in a good fountain show that doesn't take away from International Street. I am not a huge fan of large scale light shows and it is not the best thing to do to our Royal Fountains. Our fountains, I believe, are programmed by switches on a turntable, when a switch is flipped, the water effect changes and a certain colour(s) of light come on and displays a magnificent effect. The fountain's could be modified to perform via computer nowadays. I think there are ways of doing it that way with musical soundtracks that fit the area nicely. I do not mind them painting the bottom black like CW though.

I'm fairly certain that the fountains are on an automated program from a computer. I can't imagine someone flipping switches that often to change the effects and colors.

I think where the video that everyone is talking about was shot at was right next to a speaker. The fountains at Wonderland before Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular were just as serene as KI's during the day. I guess I don't understand what you mean by a fountain show similar to CW's would take away from International Street? Hasn't that feel been gone for quite a while with the fences being added, trees being removed/planted, seating including tables, music that no longer represents an International Street and Halloween?

Please don't take me as attacking your thoughts and concerns, I'm just trying to understand.

The concerns I have with the current fountains are that some of the fixtures are now over 40 years old and are in need of replacement, but I don't know if there's a company that still makes pieces like what we have. The technology has evolved a ton for fountains. In my opinion, I think the style of display at Canada's Wonderland is something that should come to KI, maybe not the same music, but that type of show. As someone said elsewhere, unfortunately we do not have a mountain to project images on, but we have a Tower that can be used to assist.

^The fountains are not 40 years old. I believe they were refurbished under the Paramount reign.

Yes, the fountains got refurbished in 2003. By definition, refurbished basically means spruced up, brought to a like new state, upgraded in technology (computer programming for the fountains). So yes, the fountains were made to be like new, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the fountains were made brand new so the age of the fountains would be only 10 years old at this point.

I'm sure the foundation and base of the fountains is still the same as they were in 1972. I'm sure some of the fixtures are still the same, but may have gotten a fresh coat of paint in the refurbishment.

The picture below is from 1972

fountain.jpg

Picture below is from the Paramount Years.

sidefountain.jpg

http://KICentral.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/sidefountain.jpg

• Like 1

There is a slow moving turn table of switches with something the switches hit, flipping them and changing the effect, from what I have heard, I could be wrong. Nobody is actually doing it manually. And don't worry, I don't consider you attacking my opinion, you're just stating yours, which is okay in my book. Yes TheCrypt, The fountain was worked on under Paramount, 2003 to be exact. The type of fountain show I would like to see keeps the same layout of piping and is programmed like a pyrotechnics show. The fountains would be programmed to a soundtrack and the visual effects of the water and lighting would be effected by tempo, sound levels, and pitch changes. At certain points in the song its dancing to, the visual effects would change, but more often than they currently do with the turn table. At a quiet point, the columns of water would be small. When a crescendo hits, the whole fountain would come on. That's sort of what I would like to see.

• Like 2

The current music on International Street doesn't exactly display the international feeling it used to. I think music from European countries should be the backdrop of this area again. The lighting in the fountains did in fact dance in the 1980's as seen in this video around 3:50:

. The lightshow I would love done at Kings Island would do this to the water features in the fountains at certain points in the music, just like the lighting. The lighting should be changed, for energy efficiency, to LED's.
  • Like 1

Impressive show to say the least. I don't know how something like that would work at KI though, but if they do it, let's hope they keep it maintained better than the current "Snoopy's Starlight Light Show that used to be Spectacular but really isn't anymore"

• Like 3