Did the Beast have water?

OpSonofBeast

My dad says The Beast used to have water in some spots and in the que line right before you got into the station (see pic for what i'm talking about) Is he right? I can't find anything on the internet that says he is. If it is does anyone happen to have some pictures of it?

KingMaple_32.jpg

Your dad is correct...the station area and leading into the first lift hill sat over a pond. The water disappeared right around the time Vortex was constructed...I don't know if the two were related or not.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=8GLpfDtEetpZgM&tbnid=4HPcTL1k2f5ZpM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.KICentral.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F21268-beast-with-water%2F&ei=wOOUUbO6H-SIygGiwIHYDQ&bvm=bv.46471029,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNGDcua6W3ASNOgg5BOu4Jn-NSh9bA&ust=1368798524947397

Edit: I found this photo on Google images...not realizing it was from an earlier post on KI Central! :-)

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, The Beast queue still had water even after Vortex was built, but I could be mistaken. The years all run together and I don't remember what year the water was removed (but I do think it was after 1987, Vortex's debut season). As to why the water was removed, Shaggy had a good post a few years ago:

Currently, when you exit The Beast, you go down the handicapped ramp. You then turn left which takes you under the drivers booth. After that, you turn right and head past the queue house.

Originally, when you headed under the drivers booth, you turned left and went through an exit underneath the station and back out to the access road that lies between Beast and Crypt. The exit still exists, but is used as an emergency exit only and has a door.

No one thing can be cited as the reason the "lake" (odd to call it that as it was literally only a few inches deep) was removed. There were actually a handful of reasons.

Trash issues, circulatory issues, bug issues, smell issues are a few reasons. But more importantly, the park wanted to seal off the midway path between Beast and (then) KCKC to use for behind the scenes purposes. They also wanted to re-direct the exiting guests past the (then) new on-ride photo booth and midway games. In addition, they also wanted to re-direct guests out an entirely different area away from the entrance to deter line jumping.

What many folks don't know, or recall, is that The Beast used to have an entirely seperate queue house that no longer exists. The concrete pad it was on was still there the last time I checked, albeit hidden by a fence. Next time you exit The Beast and are nearing the on-ride photo booth, look through the wooden fence to the right. You'll see an overgrown concrete path. That was where it was once located.

There was also a seperate "building" at the original exit that was called the "Beast Tamer Photo" It offered guests the chance to have their pictures taken in the middle of The Beast paws.

Finally, at the entrance, there was originally a large sign that told the legend of The Beast. I'll dig it up and post it. But basically it was a fable that told the tale of a Beast running wild through the woods. Oh how I wish they'd bring that sign back. Very few people recall it.

Shaggy

• Like 6

^ I'm with you on the years all running together now, XGator!! :)

I didn't necessarily make it to KI every season back then (or, even in recent years unfortunately), so it's very possible that the first year I was there that Vortex was as well may have coincided with when the water had been removed (and, I've just linked the two events together in my memory.)

• Like 1