With what I have heard, this is a place that has a great new step. As I said a year ago, when the Beach returns, the Soak City buzz will decline by some percent.

They blundered their media day on Thursday. Didn't get the local stations to come out as planned. A small Cincinnati waterpark making the news in Colorado is a good feel-good story, but isn't going to sell any tickets.

The best of luck to them nonetheless.

• Like 5

If anything, they are sure running a bunch of commercials. I have heard them on the local Cincy and Dayton radio (the familiar come to da beach, right across from isle...) and have seen the commercial a few times on tv.

If anything its nice to hear the familiar sounds of their commercial.

But I do question their "Open Now, Really", slogan...

But I do question their "Open Now, Really", slogan...

Inside joke?

Perhaps it is because the "OPEN NOW" sign never seemed to moved off the slides for a few years, even in the winter.

As far as thinning the crowds, probably not that much you would notice. SC admission is still included with KI. The Beach will be a separate charge.

^ There are still many that believe CF, under Kinzel's leadership, purchased GL just to watch it fail.

Those who say that say he did that to protect his primary business, Cedar Point.

Does that mean parks like KI & KD are to be considered a secondary business?

Brown, who too likes to ask questions.

• Like 2

Has anyone been to the Beach yet? Just wonder how it was. Still kind of cold I would think

I was at their media night last week. They did a very good job with the renovations and pretty much revamped their staff and outlook towards customers.

They won't effect Kings Island's attendance as they're not competing with KI. The Beach is a totally different type of product that did fine for years even being across the street from KI. If they can recapture some of their lost loyalists, it'll succeed again.

• Like 3

I don't think that will be too hard. They've done a lot to encourage people to return (keeping the popular summer events, lowering admission prices and honoring 2012 passes), so if things on the inside are as good as they sound, people will return.

(keeping the popular summer events, lowering admission prices and honoring 2012 passes),

Classy move.

They didn't have to do a thing, but have gone above & beyond with that decision.

Customer service "things" like that encourage me to go, but, I am now bummed now that our trip in a few weeks will not include The Beach.

• Like 2

^ If I am not mistaken, you turned your Beach pass in for a discount KI pass.

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25187-the-beach-closing-after-27-years/page-3

Courtesy of Delirium13:

Kings Island EXTENDS SPECIAL TRIAL OFFER TO 2012 BEACH WATERPARK PASSHOLDERS

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/article/media-center/Kings-Island-extends-special-trial-offer-to-2012-Beach-Waterpark-passholders

Beach season passholders can use their passes visit Kings Island for free on one day and upgrade for $49.99. Sad to see the Beach close, but this a smart strategy by KI I think to gain some new passholders, possibly for years to come.
  • Like 1

Any word on Holiday Fest returning? I really wanna ride a cheap sled down an old waterslide.

From what I understood through several friends who worked there, Holiday Fest was always a toss up. They'd usually end the season on solid fiscal ground and then Holiday Fest would either be a cash cow or failure depending on weather, turnout and other factors.

Who knows though if they'll bring it back. It doesn't seem to line up with their current brand image or plan, just my opinion though.

• Like 2

Yes, but I believe you had to turn in your Beach pass to get a Kings Island pass. If anyone knows for sure, please let us know.

No. KI just entered the pass numbers into their system so you couldn't get the discounted pass twice (it was $49.99 or a free 1 day ticket, IIRC). They didn't keep the passes/pass vouchers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

anyone been to the beach this year, how does it look, how are the crowds?

I haven't been in some 20 years I'd bet, but I pass it on the way home from work. Traveling along 71N, I can see the slide they painted red, the new volley ball courts, and the line for a couple of other rides. Despite having perfect weather a handful of days the last week for a place like the beach (hot and sunny) the lines appeared to be non existant, while in the past, there was always people stacked up riding for their next ride.