Factors that close rides

jasonondropzone

This isn't what I thought this topic was going to be about when I opened. I'll ask what I thought it was going to be about in this topic if that is ok.

What can mechanically shut down the rides? When rides go down for like 15 minute periods, what causes that? I know it can be multiple things, but is it mostly computer problems, or structural problems?

It honestly depends on that type of ride. Most mechanical stuff is computer based this day in age for problems. Sensors get tripped wrong, or not tripped at all, causes a discrepancy and the ride either sets up, estops, or won't dispatch. Older style sensors suck more because photo eyes (basically a laser between two points) has to be aligned or if something gets on it (spider, heavy rain, leaf, ect) it puts in a discrepancy even though everything else can be fine. Proximity switches aren't too bad and are less problematic, but they can cause issues. When I was on corkscrew it wasn't counting the cars right, so it filed a discrepancy, shut down the lift, and we couldn't dispatch the trains. It thought there was still a car of the train on the lift even though there wasn't, so as a safety precaution, it shut itself down.

Bad wheels can be a mechanical shutdown depending on severity. Most of the time they go through the day if not terrible or get the train transferred off. Most maint. people know signs of a bad wheel and replace em before they even go bad.

Structural issues, HE** no. Those rides are inspected way too good by maint. and the state inspections for it to even be an issue. At my park before rides even cycled by maint. dept. they actually go out on the track and supports and visually inspect everything, and if it looks worn or any issue or at predetermined points, they take an ultrasound of the track to observe for miniture stress cracks in the steel. Wood coasters, they get walked and worked on everyday, you never stop building them.

So all in all, it's usually the ride computer that has a fault or shuts down for a safety reason (like our instance with Beast earlier w/ it's 10 min shutdown loaded). Either the train before wasn't clear of the block yet and they dispatched outside of interval, or the previous train had already cleared the block but a sensor wasn't tripped right or tripped at all, and setup the ride.

Which brings me to this mini rant comparing my ride op experience w/ KI...Beast has six blocks, why do they only run two or three trains (can't remember)...You could be able to efficiently run four, no problems, hell even five if you wanted to be ballsy depending on the block system....ugh...So much could be squeezed out of these rides for efficiency and throughput..Interval is a MUST at CP and we're great at getting people through. KI...I just don't get it when I see rides like DB stacked lol...We could easily get four trains on DB...but that won't happen down here :P...End frustration :P

• Like 3

Thank you for the explanation.

By structural problems, I meant sensors and I've seen multiple times on Dragster when a break fin won't pop up and maintenance will have to climb on the track to release it. I know they don't close because supports are failing. :)

Each ride is very different.

An example of computer issues: TTD has so many sensor/ prox switches (especially on the brake fins) is was a nightmare for the first few years.

Structural issue: Beast 10-15 years ago was down for sometime for tunnel issues (apparently one of the sides of the tunnels collapsed). Another would be SoB (no explanation needed).

• Like 2

Ah that was what I thought you were referring to was the track and supports :P

Ah dragster..don't get me started on that nightmare...It has WAAAAY to many sensors and it's safety system is way too ridiculously over redundant...Each brake fin has 4 sensors on launch side because to keep each setting redundant there are two of them. Two on the bottom signaling it's "down" two on the top to signal "up." Multiply that by how many brake fins. Also sensors on the launch area for the catch dog, the hydraulic system, station, restraints, unload, ready brakes, transfer track, ect...To me it's just a horrendous nightmare. Whoever engineered the safety system and said it needed to be monitored every 2mm during launch...Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Arrow coasters, beautiful and simple design. Corkscrew. Two pairs of proximity switches before and after every block or brake run with some having photo eyes as well. You didn't see my ride computer faulting other than a really crazy fluke accident every now and then like the one I explained...Simplicity makes things so much easier

Which brings me to this mini rant comparing my ride op experience w/ KI...Beast has six blocks, why do they only run two or three trains (can't remember)...You could be able to efficiently run four, no problems, hell even five if you wanted to be ballsy depending on the block system....ugh...So much could be squeezed out of these rides for efficiency and throughput..Interval is a MUST at CP and we're great at getting people through. KI...I just don't get it when I see rides like DB stacked lol...We could easily get four trains on DB...but that won't happen down here :P...End frustration :P

I think you are considering the brake shed a block brake when infact it is not used as one (not to say it couldn't be). This is why lift 1 will slow until the train ahead of it has crested the 2nd lift. Top of lift 1 to lift 2 is considered 1 block. Assuming only 1 train can be stacked outside the station (not sure if this is accurate), I count 4 blocks.

AE used to run 3 trains with only 2 bar checkers (1 per side), but now only runs 2 with more bar checkers...explain that one.

• Like 1

Guest Department47

Which brings me to this mini rant comparing my ride op experience w/ KI...Beast has six blocks, why do they only run two or three trains (can't remember)...You could be able to efficiently run four, no problems, hell even five if you wanted to be ballsy depending on the block system....ugh...So much could be squeezed out of these rides for efficiency and throughput..Interval is a MUST at CP and we're great at getting people through.

Beast already stacks its trains with only three of them. Add another train or two, and it'll happen even more... and on the lift-hills, versus the brake run. That's just a giant headache for everyone involved. Now if the ride's seat belts were removed, maybe train design changed, and it was able to be loaded more efficiently, then you could consider adding an additional train(s). Although three is already pretty great.

AE used to run 3 trains with only 2 bar checkers (1 per side), but now only runs 2 with more bar checkers...explain that one.

Seat belts were added to the ride, which slowed down the loading process. Slower loading meant more stacking. It was simply more efficient to only have two trains.

• Like 2

By my count, Beast should have 6 blocks:

Station to brake run outside of the maintenance sheds (before the first lift hill)

Maintenance brakes to first lift hill

Top of first lift hill to top of 2nd lift hill

Top of 2nd lift hill to 1st brake run

1st brake run to 2nd brake run

2nd brake run to station

There's enough room outside the station to stack two trains.

Yes that's the block system...also it's not really about seatbelts...it comes down to the ride ops...they don't bust their ass like cp does with interval...you can see it...seatbelts slow things down a tad but not by much especially with the size of their crew two to three load and unload positions..sorry..plus they could do four train op like I said even five but I'd feel that's slightly overkill and would lead to actually some inefficiency.

I shouldn't be riding beast and when I get to the ready brakes I stack and wait for seats to be checked to dispatch, and the. The train behind us is somewhere almost done with the ride again, it just shows slow operation and it pains me to see it because I know if you took cp ride ops, we could bust through that interval like no other. The ride is long enough counting lift hill times and brake run time, it's pathetic seeing the ride stack

Guest Department47

Yes that's the block system...also it's not really about seatbelts...it comes down to the ride ops...they don't bust their ass like cp does with interval...you can see it...

I beg to differ. Although ride operators definitely have a responsibility to be as quick and efficient as possible, much of it comes down the guests. Guests can slow down the operations in multiple ways:

• Standing in the way of the loading gates, so they can't close and let the load operator forwards
  • Forgetting to buckle their seatbelt
  • A parent trying to buckle their child's seat belt and not buckling their own
  • Larger ones not being able to fit, requiring operator assistance
  • Parents trying to get their too-short children on the ride, despite the height requirement being posted at the entrance
  • Trying to ride with other prohibited conditions (specific braces and casts, etc.)
  • Having to cross the train to place loose articles in the bin before taking their seat
  • Not placing electronics and other prohibited items away
  • A guest coming up the exit, requiring seats to be saved (disability, VIP tour, etc.)
The list goes on and on, but those are the main reasons dispatching a train may be delayed. Employees should do their best to counter all these things, but them happening is not their fault.

And in my opinion, Kings Island's ride operators are much more professional and efficient than any I've met at Cedar Point. I visit both parks frequently, and I've encountered far more problems in Sandusky with slow, lazy, and rude employees than I have down in Mason.

• Like 5

Sad even my friends who work down at Kings Island agree with me...ruse and whatnot I could see it because all we care is efficiency and working our rides. Ki is actually trained to work with guests and take care of them and give them the experience..we were trained at cp to move people...that was it really.

Trust me BTW I know what slows down operations I did it..three quarters of that list are quick corrections...buckling belts and loose articles..piece of cake...I'd even grab peoples stuff for them and place in the bin so they can sit down and get in quicker. Only one ill agree with is guest access (wheelchair, vip, ect) and electronics and that is going to stack but that's acceptable to me..I'm talking about interval to interval failures here.

if you really think beast is ok like this, let's bring db into play..a ride with no seatbelts, easy ride, no operational stuff becoming a problem...and it still stacks, explain this

Sad even my friends who work down at Kings Island agree with me...ruse and whatnot I could see it because all we care is efficiency and working our rides. Ki is actually trained to work with guests and take care of them and give them the experience..we were trained at cp to move people...that was it really.

Trust me BTW I know what slows down operations I did it..three quarters of that list are quick corrections...buckling belts and loose articles..piece of cake...I'd even grab peoples stuff for them and place in the bin so they can sit down and get in quicker. Only one ill agree with is guest access (wheelchair, vip, ect) and electronics and that is going to stack but that's acceptable to me..I'm talking about interval to interval failures here.

if you really think beast is ok like this, let's bring db into play..a ride with no seatbelts, easy ride, no operational stuff becoming a problem...and it still stacks, explain this

I'm pretty sure Department47 already answered your question and I have to second that. Having worked on Diamondback previously, stacking is a problem. Was it our fault as ride operators, not always. 95% of the time the train in the station was ready to dispatch and we had numerous guests trying to wait for their friends inside of the gates on the unload side, guests taking forever to place or pick up their 6 or 7 items, guests taking off their flip flops, etc.

I'm sorry if you think that stacking trains is a big problem, but I hate to tell you that the park would rather stack the trains instead of sending a train out when it wasn't safe. And I'm sorry that you have a perception that no other ride operator would grab loose articles for guests, because I can assure you that our crew did that more than most realized. What is a failure to you is not a failure to the park.

• Like 6

Lol that's why today even with as short of lines while I was in station you stacked on db...

Also if safety is a priority...why did Firehawk have practically a safety every day for a month last season? A write up every day...

Sadly I don't get how you think my attitude doesn't promote safety...I was a Nazi about that stuff when I worked there...I downed rides due to stuff like that cause I'm not dispatching people if something is wrong or they're doing something..

minors don't need to be ride ops, the ride ops need to be taught efficiency and ridership increased..Diamondback can theoretically have four train op same with beast easily.

Last mini rant, spieling while I'm thinking about it...compare your Mic use to mine...epic fail on ki part...I hear more spieling on the way up the lift hill on beast than I do in the station...

Spelling is a Cedar Fair/Cedar Point thing. A ride op truly mindful of safety beats a spiel any day. Paramount Parks for many years didn't do speils at all (except a few recorded presentations on some rides).

I think "spelling" was meant to be spelled with a different spelling at the beginning of your spiel. :)

• Like 1