Ferris wheels

After a little bit of research I have discovered that the worlds tallest ferris wheel is currently the "Singapore Flyer" in (you'll never guess) Singapore!

Here's what she looks like:

singapore%20flyer%20pic2.jpg

She stands at 541 feet (holy crap) tall and cost 180 million US dollars to build.

Here's a link to the wheel's website:

http://www.singaporeflyer.com/

...And here's a pic of the world's smallest ferris wheel:

il_340x270.430715150_dbag.jpg

thought you might enjoy this one ;)

Pretty cool stuff!

DBI

• Like 5

:blink: For a second there, I thought that the first picture of the under-construction wheel looked like an insane Swing Ship!

To be perfectly honest, from a distance I thought the same thing till my friend who is a Vegas local and then all the adverts for it as well around the construction site said otherwise. LOL! Interesting name too...the "Linq".

The Island at Pigeon Forge developers have put in a miniature "big" wheel:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/mar/27/greg-johnson-on-second-thought-giant-pigeon-be/

Continuing the trend of the Knoxville Worlds Fair when they built the SunSphere "Tower" not on a ridge line, but down in a hole:

The Island Wheel is located down in a hole on the valley floor. Just three blocks away the view from the Cal Ripken Baseball experience, under development, is higher and more impressive.

Save your money and drive up to the baseball facility for a stunning view, free, while in Pigeon Forge.

The tallest wheel I've been on is the Myrtle Beach Skywheel.

I do have to say though, a huge Ferris Wheel at KI wouldn't be too great, they already have the Eiffel Tower so you aren't going to see anything different.

Not to mention the park won't operate it year round, they do so much construction and maintainence in the off season they wouldn't want everyone to see what's going on.

• Like 1

I'm a supervisor at the wheel in Pigeon Forge. Having ridden it (it isn't open to the public) I'd say the view is pretty nice, but not as amazing as I'd have hoped. It's certainly a better view than anywhere in downtown Pigeon Forge (the Cal Ripken Experience won't even be as high as the halfway point of the wheel) but I think the Gatlinburg Space Needle has the superior view because it's closer to the mountains. The wheel isn't really down in a hole ... it's just not on a mountain. The Parkway sits completely in a valley, but the wheel isn't really that much lower than any of the surrounding area.

That being said, just being able to see the Parkway from that high up is pretty darn cool. I'd say people will ride it because of the view of the Parkway and Pigeon Forge rather than the mountains, as some of the best views of the mountains can be had for free (and without hiking) at such places as Newfound Gap and Clingman's Dome.