Dorney Park....Wallet Free

Can you get cash back after you load money onto the band?

Could be a good tool for the park to get guest to pay higher prices on food items.

Guest: Well I loaded $30 onto my card for the day so $10 for a cheeseburger is fine with me. Compared to

Guest with Cash: No way am I spedning $10 for a cheeseburger.

• Like 1

$10 will get ya burger and fries at Carowinds and that is enough food for me and my wife. I dont get why everyone fusses about amusment park food being high when I have seen pay similar prices at local eateries outside of parks. I can feed my entire family at Carowinds for $20 (with current years cup). Also, the wirstbands can be used a whole season not just one day.

I still think Hank's Burrito Shack is one of the best values in the park. $10 will get you a Coke and a burrito - not as many items as $13 in Festhaus, but the burrito is more filling than the two slices of pizza and the breadsticks.

I still think Hank's Burrito Shack is one of the best values in the park. $10 will get you a Coke and a burrito - not as many items as $13 in Festhaus, but the burrito is more filling than the two slices of pizza and the breadsticks.

How do you get $10? I calculate $7.59 for the burrito + $4.19 for a Freestyle drink* = $11.78 + $0.77 sales tax = $12.55.

*Might be $4.29; I don't recall at the moment.

Just a heads up, this is not a brand-new system. Holiday World had this in 2011, and probably still does. They call it "HoliCash". Has anyone who has been to HW actually used it? Because I feel Dorney's system may be similar.

PS: I never used Holicash myself, BTW.

• Like 2

Fifty years ago, most Americans carried little ID and much more cash. A driver's license, a Social Security card (typically kept at home), a relative large sum of cash, a few coins. Only the very wealthy had credit cards, then usually only Diner's, Carte Blanche, AMEX and/or a high-line department store card like Shillito's.

• Like 1

Waldameer has a similar card system which is REQUIRED if you plan to ride any rides in the park (unless you get an unlimited wristband.) It can also be used on food, merchandise, and games, but you can also use credit/debit cards for those.

In the case of riding rides, it's actually really convenient and streamlines the process pretty nicely compared to using paper tickets. Where KI has ride ops that pulse guests into the stations, Waldameer has one employee who mans the scanner. You scan your card, the scanner shows your remaining balance, and the employee presses a green button to unlock the turnstyle to let you into the station. Much nicer than the way Diamondback usually works, for instance. I've seen more than one guest, unknowingly or otherwise, walk past the ride op at the top of the stairs if the operator is otherwise distracted. Plus, it keeps Ravine Flyer II's tiny station from being the shoulder-to-shoulder headache it could easily be.

In the case of everything else: If everything was rounded to the nearest half-dollar like the rides, it would be great. Unfortunately, it's not, which means I've got $0.74 on my Wally Card that's never going to see the light of day because I bought a caramel apple one time. I'm sure that adds up for the park.

In the case of pay-per-ride parks, I really like the idea of money wristbands/cards. Otherwise, I think I'd rather just use cash or credit. I can see the benefit for families where the kids are doing their own thing and need to store money where it won't easily be lost (e.g. cash falling out of a pocket during a ride), but I'm not that bothered by carrying those things with me. That's why I've got zippered pockets in my shorts.

Just a heads up, this is not a brand-new system. Holiday World had this in 2011, and probably still does. They call it "HoliCash". Has anyone who has been to HW actually used it? Because I feel Dorney's system may be similar.

PS: I never used Holicash myself, BTW.

They still have it. I've used HoliCash every time I've been to HW. Great way to not have to deal with cash and change. The wristbands, which I used in 2011 and 2012, are waterproof paper, and refundable up to $50. You can also load money onto a gift card, or directly onto a season pass (neither of which are refundable at all). I'm using my season pass for HoliCash this year, since that reminds me to show it for the 10% food/merchandise discount.

Unused monies on such cards (or expired gift cards) cannot be kept by the seller. Instead, they escheat to the state. In Georgia, for instance, any bank account that does not have at least one deposit or withdrawal in ONE YEAR automatically goes to the state. You can get it back, but it's not quick.

Terp, who says there is no legal advice meant for a particular situation or client contained herein. Consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction if you have or think you may have a legal problem. The author is not engaged in the private practice of law in the District of Columbia, Georgia, Pennsylvania or any United State. A penny saved is a penny earned, but do conduct at least one transaction per calendar year. Not FDIC insured.

• Like 1

Fifty years ago, most Americans carried little ID and much more cash. A driver's license, a Social Security card (typically kept at home), a relative large sum of cash, a few coins. Only the very wealthy had credit cards, then usually only Diner's, Carte Blanche, AMEX and/or a high-line department store card like Shillito's.

Shillito's, Terpy?

We are getting old.

• Like 1

As a kid, I used to prefer wearing athletic shorts to KI. I was not old enough to have a driver's liscense, had no need for a credit card or debit card (I'm not even sure if the debit card existed back in the early 90s, probably but most like was an ATM withdrawl card rather than a card that could be swiped anywhere) I had little use for a wallet, besides those shorts rarely had pockets. So where did my money go???? tucked into my socks of course. I'm guessing all parties would have preferred a wrist band transaction rather than money being stored in your shoe.

• Like 4