Drop Tower Mechanics

thedevariouseffect

So just because I love this kind of stuff and wondering if anyone has had access to see it or a better understanding. Has anyone seen inside the tower or understood it's mechanisms & how it works. I get how it's picked up & dropped, & have a general understanding but does anyone have a good technical understanding of an intamin gyro drop?

You are stopped from crashing into the Earth by the simplicity of magnets.

There are metal plates on the carriage that slide between two magnets (multiple sets of course) interrupting the magnetic field and it's the invisible field that is slowing you down.

Magnets don't suddenly stop being magnets so you never run the risk of smashing into the concrete below.

Simple, effective and an amazing thrill!

• Like 3

Yeah got that because those are the long white strips you see running from about halfway down to base. It also has a failsafe shocks (I believe failsafe) at the bottom of the ride under the gondola (four of them)..Biggest thing I'm looking for are internal mechanics, computer, what top of tower design is like, ect...I'm a technical kinda person lol dunno why but this stuff fascinates me. You don't wanna know what it was like working power tower at Cedar Point. That thing is a technical masterpiece

Same here. I am a tech geek by trade. I can't go anywhere without wondering how it works. I spend a good half of my time at KI looking at everything and wondering. I know WindSeekers tower has ladders inside to access the top. (you could see them in the construction pics) I would think DT would have them as well.

That climb would suck!

• Like 1

Theres a member on this site, that knows Drop Zone/Drop Tower very very well, his name is "AZ Kinda Guy" Give him a PM, I'm sure he be more than happy to share his vast knowledge about the ride.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure, but I'm 99% sure the magnets actually just slow you down, what actually stops you are these prongs that are sticking up out of the ground under the tower, you can actually see them when the carriage is lifted up.

I was ganna say hopefully he takes notice of this thread, I didn't find info elsewhere on the forum so I'm sure if posted here future people may enjoy his reponse.

I get that it's probably elevator driven or possibly winched up, would be odd why as counterweight would make more sense . Magnetic braking slows to halt aided by hyraulic/electric pistons on bottom to cushion fall and act as failsafe possibly. Ride unit attaches up top on both sides via a clip, four outer prongs contain motors to move gondola. As for motor placement, height detection, when to drop, ect. overall mechanics I'm at a blank. I could tell you anything about Power Tower or any S&S combo/turbo/space shot towers but never had great in depth with intamin gyro drops

There are many here who work at Kings Island, in a myriad of jobs, as well, positions. You never know who really could be on the site! Or who actually works there.

KI's Drop Tower really isn't all that complicated(mechanically at least) and it really is a what you see is what you get type deal. At the top, there is nothing more than drive motors and large spools for the cables to wrap around. A ride to the top is achieved via a small elevator. At the bottom, there are hydraulic buffers which raise when the gondola is lifted up by the catch car. There are also load cells at the bottom, which do not move, that measure the weight of the gondola. The spinning of the gondola is achieved via motor driven rubber tires on the legs of the catch car with support wheels underneath the gondola. The catching and releasing of the gondola by the catch car is achieved with automated pneumatics. Sit and watch Drop Tower for a few cycles and you will be really astonished with how simply some things are done.

Edit: IMO, Intamin got it right with the KD model.

• Like 10

Think about it. How effective would electromagnets be if the power failed?

Yeah, that was kind of what I was getting at.

Cause if they were electromagnets they would that would take away the whole "Drop Tower is safe even if the power goes out" aspect about it.

I kind of always assumed you guys would have pointed it out earlier, but my father seems to believe only electromagnets can display that level of force.

You are stopped from crashing into the Earth by the simplicity of magnets.

There are metal plates on the carriage that slide between two magnets (multiple sets of course) interrupting the magnetic field and it's the invisible field that is slowing you down.

Magnets don't suddenly stop being magnets so you never run the risk of smashing into the concrete below.

Simple, effective and an amazing thrill!

I think I can ride it now. Thanks.

• Like 3