Diamondback seat sizes

cyuluvme

• 5 years later...

I am a large woman.  44 years old, 5'5"and 289lbs.  My weight gain is a result of an anxiety/depression medication that I have to take.  Otherwise I am perfectly healthy.  I work for my local hospital and have yearly wellness exams.  My BP is great, my bloodwork is on point!  I don't have and back, neck, heart or lung problems.  I have been a coaster enthusiast from the first time I was able to ride "Kings Islands Racer" in the early 80's.  I am a strong supporter of modified seating.  If I pay for a ticket to the park, I should be able to ride all attractions!  Disney and Universal accommodate fairly well in this area, but Kings Island and Cedar Point have a long way to go!  There are disclosures on the rides that would release the park from any repercussions should a rider knowingly get on a ride with a medical condition.  And yes, I walk around the parks.  I don't ride a motorized wheelchair.  I was at Disney/Univeral 2 weeks ago and logged 16,000+ steps per day!  So, as I mentioned previously, I pay for a ticket, I expect to enjoy the rides.

Thanks!;)

5 minutes ago, KarieJo said:

I am a large woman.  44 years old, 5'5"and 289lbs.  My weight gain is a result of an anxiety/depression medication that I have to take.  Otherwise I am perfectly healthy.  I work for my local hospital and have yearly wellness exams.  My BP is great, my bloodwork is on point!  I don't have and back, neck, heart or lung problems.  I have been a coaster enthusiast from the first time I was able to ride "Kings Islands Racer" in the early 80's.  I am a strong supporter of modified seating.  If I pay for a ticket to the park, I should be able to ride all attractions!  Disney and Universal accommodate fairly well in this area, but Kings Island and Cedar Point have a long way to go!  There are disclosures on the rides that would release the park from any repercussions should a rider knowingly get on a ride with a medical condition.  And yes, I walk around the parks.  I don't ride a motorized wheelchair.  I was at Disney/Univeral 2 weeks ago and logged 16,000+ steps per day!  So, as I mentioned previously, I pay for a ticket, I expect to enjoy the rides.

Thanks!;)

What are you getting at here?  

The seats are designed to fit a majority of people, but there are certainly going to be outliers, such as yourself.  It's the best way for them to accommodate a 75 lb child who just hit 54" as well as someone who is 6'4 and 275 lbs.  B&M is by far more accommodating than the Intamin rides at Cedar Point.

• Like 3

At the end of the day, no park or manufacturer wants to restrict someone from riding. However, the restraint systems are designed to safety accommodate as many types of riders as possible under the dynamics of the ride. It sucks, but it really comes down to simple physics. It's certainly not a group of people picking and choosing what kind of riders they want to ride based on some sort of discrimination.

• Like 1

Wow, this went sideways in a big way. 

I personally haven't ridden in many different seats on Diamondback, but I'm one of those people that's been encouraged to just keep getting fatter because roller coasters are making their seats bigger to fit me. I'm 5'9" and about 240 lbs. I'm more of a power lifter figure than a beer bellied guy. Lots of chest and shoulders, little bit of belly. The only thing I've ever been uncomfortable on there is Drop Tower, and one time, my kids wanted me to ride the kids ride (can't remember the name of it) that has the kite in the tree (miniature Drop Tower kind of deal) and the first time on I had to be pinned in, second time on (after eating lunch) they couldn't pin me on so my wife begrudgingly had to ride with them. 

• Like 1

Really wish more rides would have accommodating seats for larger people.  I don't think it's too much to ask for just 1 row of seats that allow this.  I was very pleased at the number of rides at CP that do this and disappointed KI doesn't quite have the same number of options.  I realize most of these rides were built before CF bought KI, but still disappointing.

For reference, 6'3" guy here.  6 months ago I was 295 lbs.  Been eating more appropriately over the last 6 months SPECIFICALLY to lose wait for the upcoming KI/CP season.  I want to be able to return to riding Diamondback/FoF/Drop Tower/Milennium Force/TTD with my kids.  Even some of the woodies were super uncomfortable last year.  I'm down to 255 lbs now and looking forward to opening weekend to see how much progress I've truly made.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VortexJD said:

For reference, 6'3" guy here.  6 months ago I was 295 lbs.  Been eating more appropriately over the last 6 months SPECIFICALLY to lose wait for the upcoming KI/CP season.  I want to be able to return to riding Diamondback/FoF/Drop Tower/Milennium Force/TTD with my kids.  Even some of the woodies were super uncomfortable last year.  I'm down to 255 lbs now and looking forward to opening weekend to see how much progress I've truly made.

Wow, that is really great progress. Congrats and we hop you post your post trip updates as inspiration for others!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, VortexJD said:

Really wish more rides would have accommodating seats for larger people.  I don't think it's too much to ask for just 1 row of seats that allow this.  I was very pleased at the number of rides at CP that do this and disappointed KI doesn't quite have the same number of options.  I realize most of these rides were built before CF bought KI, but still disappointing.

That's awesome!! Keep it up! From someone who has gone from 315 to 220 in the past, I can tell you, you don't notice how much you've lost until you do something like riding a roller coaster you were super uncomfortable on last year with room to spare. It's unreal the difference. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Wow, that is really great progress. Congrats and we hop you post your post trip updates as inspiration for others!

18 minutes ago, lifetimecoaster said:

That's awesome!! Keep it up! From someone who has gone from 315 to 220 in the past, I can tell you, you don't notice how much you've lost until you do something like riding a roller coaster you were super uncomfortable on last year with room to spare. It's unreal the difference. 

Thanks.  Really appreciate the kind words!  I'm trying to keep from being disappointed (MF and TTD are really high bars to reach, but last year I got 2 of the 3 clicks on DB, so I'm hopeful!).  I'll be sure to post back once I get my first KI and CP visits in.

• Like 1