Drop tower gets new seats when?

thoe124

I have looked in some vids of Drop Tower and somewhere over the years it received new seats, restraints, and programing. I've been trying to identify when this happened. It's seats changed from yellow to black, it used to rotate faster and all the way to the top, and have less brakes. Also the restraints are now green and yellow. Not just green. Any thoughts?

I dont know dates but,

Pretty sure the seats that are on DT now are old Volcano seats

The restraints got changed after a kid fell to his death at Paramount Great America

actually I'm unsure if anything I stated is actually true, Its 2am and I've been up 20 hours.

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2901-drop-zones-new-seats/

Looks like in 2004 is when DZ/DT got Volcano's seats.

Restraints:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/archives/november99/stories/110599_01.shtml

As for rotating, thats actually has to do with the motor that runs the wheel on the lifting mechanic, last season I was lucky enough to have rotated all the way to the top. Sometimes I've ridden it and its NEVER rotated.

As stated, Rumor Smasher is correct - those seats are definitely from Volcano, however I do not believe that was in reaction to the accident at Paramount's Great America. That accident happened much earlier and the only thing changed about our Drop Tower following the incident was the addition of seat belts.

• Like 1

I dont know dates but,

Pretty sure the seats that are on DT now are old Volcano seats

The restraints got changed after a kid fell to his death at Paramount Great America

actually I'm unsure if anything I stated is actually true, Its 2am and I've been up 20 hours.

Volcano as in the roller coaster at KD? That is wild.

• 2 weeks later...

When a kids legs got cut off on a ride like Drop Zone they closed Drop Zone for a while to make the seats farther away from the center tower to prevent that from happening at KI.

I saw extra steel pipes on the back of the seats and I did not see them be for the accident.

Stop your lying!

• Like 4

When a kids legs got cut off on a ride like Drop Zone they closed Drop Zone for a while to make the seats farther away from the center tower to prevent that from happening at KI.

In the situation that I believe you are referring to, which was at Kentucky Kingdom on the Intamin ride, Superman: Tower of Power in 2007, there was no incident where a "kids legs were cut off."

Although in 2007 there was a horrific incident in which a girls feet were chopped off by dangling cables that had snapped and tangled around her on the ride by Intamin at Kentucky Kingdom called Superman: Power of Tower.

So...No ones "legs were cut off" and the ride you were talking about, Superman Tower of Power was nothing like Drop Tower at Kings Island.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind seeing the Drop Tower upgraded to the seating and loading arrangement that Kings dominion has.....more seats, color coded section loading, no spiral up the tower. It has a very fast moving ride and line.

• Like 1

In the situation that I believe you are referring to, which was at Kentucky Kingdom on the Intamin ride, Superman: Tower of Power in 2007, there was no incident where a "kids legs were cut off."

Although in 2007 there was a horrific incident in which a girls feet were chopped off by dangling cables that had snapped and tangled around her on the ride by Intamin at Kentucky Kingdom called Superman: Power of Tower.

So...No ones "legs were cut off" and the ride you were talking about, Superman Tower of Power was nothing like Drop Tower at Kings Island.

However many Drop Towers were closed for a couple days afterwards even though they weren't Intamin made or the same model of Drop Tower

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...