Holiday World and Dollywood trip.

thunderbeast1968

Our Holiday world trip started out with a spin on The Raven, The Legend and finally my new #1 favorite The Voyage.

All three coasters are fantastic, but The Legend just seemed to beat the crap out of me on the helix. I still love this coaster, but WOW!!

We went to hunt our turkey on Gobbler Getaway. After leaving that attraction, it started to rain. The rain continued for about an hour and a half. We looked through the shops and wondered if it would ever stop. (didn't look like it) Alas, it did with one great thing, the park was pretty empty. Walked onto every coaster, with a max of 5 minutes. We rode a few flat rides and then hit all the coasters several more times. We walked over to the water park around four o'clock and stuck our tired feet in the pool. Turns out, this is where everyone went to. I finished my day with a back to back Voyage trip. I took an Aleve (lol) and we made our way to the parking lot.

After traveling most of the evening and into the night, we found a hotel near Knoxville, and rested our weary bodies.

We awoke on Monday June 10th to pouring rain. I looked at the radar and it didn't look good. Scattered showers all day with at least 40% chance of rain. Since my tickets were bought for me (thanks to my Uncle Ken) We had nothing to lose. Made it to the park and the weather was sunny and cool all day long.

I am gonna give a quick review of the coasters, in no particular order. Wild Eagle was amazing and smooth as glass.

Thunderhead was one of my favorites. Blazing Fury, enjoyable, Tennessee Tornado, very good. Mystery Mine was probably the coolest themed coaster of the park. I took about three spins on most coasters and loved the uniqueness of each one.

This was my first trip to Dollywood, and I must say, loved the southern hospitality. This is one of my favorite parks, and a bonus...the park is well shaded.

Now, the rest of the day. I rode the Dollywood Express to the top of the mountain (I suggest everyone take a trip on this) What a blast, nice scenery and the ride was relaxing. We stopped for lunch at The Dog and Tater, I had the foot-long corn dog, it was delicious. I also found "on accident" the roller coaster museum and took a short walk thru. Quite nice.

After leaving the park we met up with fellow KIC members violakat03 and dare-to-fly. We enjoyed a nice conversation and a Firehouse sub.

We went across the street and raced go-carts and had a blast. Finally, back to the hotel and got some much needed rest.

All in all, I had a fantastic two days at Holiday World and Dollywood, meet a couple of KICers and actually dreading coming home. I want to thank Kat, for meeting us and enjoying some nice coaster chat and putting me on the slowest go cart in Tennessee. Just kidding (she lapped me twice) Two good days of coasters, food and fun, beats a great day at work anytime.

I hope to return to Dollywood in a few years and see what's new. Until then?????

• Like 4

I wish Holiday World would get a steel coaster (besides the Howler) It would make a nice break between the wood coasters.

We went from Raven, to Legend and then two back to back spins on the Voyage. My brain was jack hammered after all of that.

Tried a few of the flat rides, so we could get some kind of relief. LOL

It was an Aleve day. One pill, all day long, all day strong.

• Like 1

I was thinking, does anyone have information if Holiday World will ever run Timberliner trains on The Voyage?

The latest official word is that for the second year in a row, they did not arrive in time to complete testing before the season began. According to the park, Timberliner testing will resume this fall after HW goes to weekend-only operation. Members of the Koch family have ridden them and say they are incredible.

I personally highly doubt at this point that we will ever see them run on the Voyage during public operation.

• Like 1