Kennywood or Dollywood?

BeastForever

So my mom is gonna to be taking me and a few of my friends to an amusment park this summer and I've narrowed down my choices to either Kennywood or Dollywood. From there, I just CAN NOT decide which one to pick, so I need some advice from someone who has been to both parks.

Now I acknowledge that both parks have a fair amount of Golden Ticket Awards in various categories however, putting aside all of that, I need to know one thing: Which park is the best when it comes to pure thrills?

Let me just put this as simple as I can... As long as a park has good rides, I really don't care how good their food is, how amazing their shows are, or even how friendly there staff is. I live to ride and ride to live!

• Like 1

Given the OP's parameters, I'd agree. Then again, all things being equal, given those parameters, I'd choose Great Adventure.

I would LOVE to visit Great Adventure again, but its too far away.

Given the parameters it seems either choice would leave you a bit underwhelmed. What were the other choices before you narrowed it down?

Well, there weren't many to begin with. I'm only considering parks within a 5-6 hr radius of Cincinnati. I already went to CP this summer, so that leaves SF Great America, SF St. Louis, and Waldameer.

• Like 1

I too would think Great America would be the most thrill oriented of the choices. However if you do choose Dollywood also consider many thrills are found outside the park. Depending on when you go the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster may have opened by then. Here's a link to their facebook https://www.facebook.com/SmokyMountainAlpineCoaster?ref=stream they haven't released an opening date yet but construction seems to be wrapping up.

I am a bit underwhelmed when it comes to the "thrills" at Dollywood. I recently visited Kennywood and loved the park. Phantom's Revenge was great, the wood coasters are all great and I even like Exterminator. The park has some good flat rides as well. The only thing I didn't really like about Kennywood was that purchases in the park were expensive including food. But, that's kinda at every park.

• Like 1

I am a bit underwhelmed when it comes to the "thrills" at Dollywood. I recently visited Kennywood and loved the park. Phantom's Revenge was great, the wood coasters are all great and I even like Exterminator. The park has some good flat rides as well. The only thing I didn't really like about Kennywood was that purchases in the park were expensive including food. But, that's kinda at every park.

Now see, I was kind of leaning towards Kennywood in the first place. Phantom's Revenge looks awesome and I just need to know if its all its cracked up to be. Also, is the "Sky Rocket" a good coaster as well?

• Like 1

Kennywood Q's
Is Phantom's Revenge similar to Magnum in terms of roughness?
Does Phantom have comfortable restraints?
What's so great about Kennywood's wooden coasters?
Is that Noah's Ark thing supposed to be just for kids or can it be directed toward all ages?
How long are lines usually for Phantom and Sky Rocket?
Is there really a "Kenny the Rodent/Bunny/Rabbit" mascot that walks around the park? Because for some reason just by looking at his hypnotizing photo on their park map I have gained this really weird feeling/mysterious destiny that I just HAVE to meet him. :blink:
Do they have good food?
Do any rides require a rental locker if you have an item you can't take on to the station/ride because there are no numbered bins?
Comparison Q's
Which park is generally more crowded on a regular basis?
Which is more expensive in terms of food, ticket, and souvenir prices?
Dollywood Q's
Is Thunderhead significantly rough?
How good is Tennessee Tornado? Mystery Mine? Wild Eagle?
Do they have good food?
Is their waterpark worth going to?
Do any rides require a rental locker if you have an item you can't take on to the station/ride because there are no numbered bins?
  • Like 1

No; it has smoother transitions, which means more comfortable airtime (but still abundant, if you sit towards the back!)

Yes.

They're classic while still being quality rides; it's like riding through a history book instead of just reading it. Except instead of being boring like a history book, they're actually good to great rides. Every wooden coaster there is best in the last car, in my opinion. Racer in particular has a vastly underrated last row.

Kids, but it's enjoyable if you appreciate older style amusement park attractions. Some say you shouldn't ever miss it; I say it's worth a shot if you've already ridden all the coasters.

The most I've ever waited for either was about 1.5 hours. That was for Phantom on Kennywood's opening day this year, and it was that long because the ride broke down for an extended amount of time. I've only been twice, but both seem to average half hour to hour waits on the weekends.

Yes. He's Kenny Kangaroo, and he's here to mess you up. (Actually, he's a friendly character. It just felt appropriate to add something threatening after "he's Kenny Kangaroo.")

The regular food is somewhat better quality than Kings Island. The big draw is the Potato Patch fries, which are hand-made steak fries covered in delicious cheese, etc. (if you so please.) Potato Patch WILL have a line all day, so bite the bullet if you want to try them. They're good, but I personally find them to be on par with Five Guys' fries. Still a fairly crucial part of the "Kennywood Experience" if you want to get a feel for the place.

Not sure. I know a couple coasters have bins to store your stuff in, but they aren't secured in any fashion. I wouldn't put anything valuable in them.

In my experience, Kennywood. I've only been to Kennywood twice and Dollywood three times, though, so I'm probably not the best judge.

Tickets: Dollywood. Everything else: more or less a tie.

Hardly. Thunderhead has its rough-ish patches, but it's very well maintained. Also one of the few rides I recommend riding towards the front, despite my being a back seat rider through and through. It's more intense than anything.

Tennessee Tornado is quite frankly the only Arrow looper I've ever truly enjoyed. It's short, but Arrow perfected their designs with it. Not a rough transition to be found on the ride. Mystery Mine's decent, but I personally find the theming more enjoyable than the actual ride itself. Your mileage may vary. I thought Wild Eagle was a decent looper (the zero-G roll is great), but popular opinion is that it's fairly bland. If you've ridden Gatekeeper, it's less intense than that, but has comparable pacing. Haven't been to Dollywood this year, but last year Wild Eagle had the longest lines in the park. Then again, it was new last year.

Dollywood's food is DELICIOUS. I've yet to eat anything there that wasn't ridiculously good. The pizza by Thunderhead is one of my favorites, though I hear the chicken restaurant is not to be missed. There's cinnamon bread that will change your life. I'm not joking.

Never been.

My memory's fading... I want to say Dollywood has bins for all the rides, but I'm definitely not sure.

• Like 2

I'll answer some of them. I cut a few out that I couldn't answer.

Kennywood Q's

I would say it isn't.

I like the restraints. They are not the same as Magnum's. I think they are the same as other Morgan coasters (?)

They are old. :)

Thunderbolt has severe laterals and fun drops; Jack Rabbit has the original double down; Racer is just considered a fun time usually.

Is that Noah's Ark thing supposed to be just for kids or can it be directed toward all ages?

All people can go through it and enjoy it.

Shorter than the Potato Patch lines when I've been there.

Comparison Q's

Dollywood has a large number people of people that go to the park but don't actually ride the rides. I try to visit both of them on non-busy days, so I can't give a for sure response.

Dollywood's Ticket is way more expensive than what a Kennywood day would be. If you go to Kennywood, you can get a big discount by going to a Giant Eagle grocery store and buying one for I think $13 off the already cheaper price. *(Edit to add: I am not sure if this discount is available still. Kennywood tickets without that discount are still like less than half a Dollywood ticket)

Dollywood Q's

No, it is one of the smoothest wooden coasters I have ridden.

Tennessee Tornado is good, but not long of a ride. The loops are interesting in a good way.

Mystery Mine is a little painful at times, but fun. There is some neat theming going on with it.

Wild Eagle is fun too...it is a B&M ride, so if you like those you will probably like this one too.

Do they have good food?

Yes. There are some people that say it is the best theme park food in the world.
  • Like 1

I'll give my POV on these questions even though they've already been answered.

Kennywood Q's

--- I don't consider it rough at all. It is insanely fast and the bunny hops are great!

--- Yes! No seat belts and just a lap bar that isn't really capable of stapling (I think). See the picture below from TPR of the restraints.

kwpr14.jpg

--- They are old, they are fun, they provide unique experiences in my opinion. Thunderbolt, you have to ride with someone because the laterals are so extreme. The drops in my opinion are extremely thrilling. Racer, it's the only Möbius roller coaster in the United States, with 5 existing world wide.
--- Nope...it's everyone. I tell you myself and a friend who is 6'9 did this. We thought it would literally be just a Bible Story walk through and as we went through it, we found that it ended up being a fun experience and like a fun house.
--- Depends on the day. When I visited, the park was full with school groups, however, Phantom's line was never over a 1/2 hour. We rode Sky Rocket first thing in the morning and then early evening when the line was about 15 minutes.
Is there really a "Kenny the Rodent/Bunny/Rabbit" mascot that walks around the park? Because for some reason just by looking at his hypnotizing photo on their park map I have gained this really weird feeling/mysterious destiny that I just HAVE to meet him. :blink:
Honestly, I didn't see the Kangaroo (I think that's what it is) walking around when there, however I saw the arrow as pictured below with a random dude and the kangaroo? Maybe it's a Jack Rabbit and ?

l.gif
Do they have good food?

--- Yes, although expensive. I ate at the same place twice, because I'm not a fan of eating out of the food stalls. I had a salad and tea for lunch, then that evening I had mac n cheese and a drink. (Had a couple other things too) but both meals total cost around $30.

--- I don't honestly remember seeing a ride that didn't have the bins or an area to put items. However, the is always a risk of items being lost, stolen or damaged when in the specific areas for items to be left behind because I saw a lot of them very close to the queue. There are lockers but I didn't catch how much they cost or policy on them.

Comparison Q's

--- I'd say they're about the same. Dollywood does have a lot of older guests who mainly visit the shows and ride queues aren't constantly full.
--- I'd say both are about the same on food. Tickets, Kennywood is a lot cheaper. As far as souvenir prices, I'm not sure because I haven't bought any from either park.
Dollywood Q's
--- Thunderhead is not rough. Millennium Flyer trains are on the track and I feel like I'm sitting on a couch! The ride is fun and provides some airtime but doesn't give the feel of roughness.
--- Tennessee Tornado is short. However, it is enjoyable. Mystery Mine is probably one of the most unique coaster rides I've been on, as I've only been on one Eurofighter. I enjoy it and it is thrilling. Wild Eagle is alright. It is a B&M so it does gain points that way. After riding Gatekeeper, Wild Eagle isn't my favorite ride. Wild Eagle does give great rides in the 4 corners of the train, but anywhere else, the rides are kind of sub-par.
Do they have good food?
--- Yes, although please note, Aunt Granny's food is good, yet kind of bland. I had someone tell me they kind of cater to the older crowd when it comes to food, so they don't make the food spicy, buttery, etc. (I don't really know how valid that statement was but I found the food sort of bland). I did stop and get some specialty foods while at Dollywood including Kettle Corn, Cinnamon Bread, etc. and they were amazing.
Is their waterpark worth going to?
--- I've never been but have been told it's good if you don't visit other water parks enough.

--- Rides do have areas to leave items. You can apply the same statement from Kennywood here.

• Like 1