What's Up With Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular?

BoddaH1994

I've noticed the past few nights that Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular has been run down quite a bit. I haven't seen the light show on the tower at all this season, the blinking lights running up the tower only go to the 50ft platform and many of the trees that were once lit up no longer are. Has anyone else noticed this? Was it working properly earlier in the season?

• Like 3

I actually noticed this last year, I believe there are a few shorts or something in the wires. I could never guess the pain of finding the bad light in those long strands....

I noticed it while I was at the park this past weekend, mentioned it to a few people.

I was very sad that the tower wasn't lit up like it used to be. I noticed several of the stars only had about 1/2 of the lights working. The music in the area was very low in volume. It doesn't have the same feel it did when it opened.

It is far worse to have a half working themed light show than not have it at all. This sounds like it would reflect badly on Kings Island, not unlike rides desperately needing paint or a ride standing in disrepair for many years.

I bet it either gets fixed soon or is on its way out. If the latter, they need to at least quit promoting it, remove the obvious parts, and not turn it on any more.

• Like 4

It was great the first season it started, but I think it's time for it to go. I think if we get this "Royal Fountains" show that is rumored to be in the works, then that will be the end of Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular.

The contract for the show was for 3 seasons, this year the contract was not extended. But with the way the show was run an maintained the past 2 years why would anyone want to extend the contract?

I believe they should have unwrapped the lights during the off-season and let the trees breath again.

• Like 5

And I feel like there should be a flat somewhere over there too. Or something that can be used during the day. There's pretty much nothing there aside from the brake section of Diamondback, the carousel (which is just one side of the area), and Back Lot Stunt Coaster (Which isn't exactly front and center as there's plenty of grass separating you from that as well). But at night, when it IS used to it's full extent, it's kinda cool; nothing spectacular though, aside from the tower lights.

The contract for the show was for 3 seasons, this year the contract was not extended. But with the way the show was run an maintained the past 2 years why would anyone want to extend the contract?

I believe they should have unwrapped the lights during the off-season and let the trees breath again.

Interesting- so a company was contracted to produce (and one would presume, maintain) Starlight Spectacular?

Interesting- so a company was contracted to produce (and one would presume, maintain) Starlight Spectacular?

An outside company designed the show itself, so an agreement was set to run and promote the show for at least 3 seasons. After that, it's most likely a "you bought it so do what you want with it" kind of deal.

All maintenance of the light show was done (or not done) by the parks themselves. The outside firm only provided design and programming services.

I think a few strategically-placed laser projectors could eliminate the need for all the short-prone wiring.

Please. No more lasers.

• Like 1

"No more lasers?" Ok, what'd I miss? Are lasers really so ubiquitous now that everyone would be "ho-hum" about them? Sheesh. :unsure:

Oh, wait: I get it. Other, "better" amusement parks have already done the laser thing to death... I see. Nothing left to imagine, I guess.

-Tb, googling quadrotor light shows...

• Like 2

"No more lasers?" Ok, what'd I miss? Are lasers really so ubiquitous now that everyone would be "ho-hum" about them? Sheesh. :unsure:

Oh, wait: I get it. Other, "better" amusement parks have already done the laser thing to death... I see. Nothing left to imagine, I guess.

In 2004 there was a Pink Floyd laser light show at Timberwolf... http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/792-pink-floyd-laser-show/

Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular is a waste of space imo. Imagine if Surf Dog was in that area instead.

Where would you put it? I can't seem to place an actual area of land behind the Eiffel Tower that could house that ride or a queue for it.

Remember before it was Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular, it was just an area of trees, grass, bushes, flowers, etc. Was that a waste of space?

IMO I do wish they'd take Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular out, but it's in my opinion that nothing else should be there, there still needs to be some green space in the park.

One of the tall fir trees near the southeast corner of ET is clearly dead and dripping with lights. You gotta wonder if the lights had something to do with it's demise.

Is it a Lodgepool tree? the kind they would use for telephone poles? We have quite a few in our area that are dead, perhaps from some blight, no other trees effected.

To be honest, I found the Starlight thing a bit blasé from the start. It was barkered and advertised, and then when I finally saw it, I felt like Peggy Lee.

Have you walked through Nightmare Alley/Freak Street? I prefer to call it Lasik Alley, what with all those lasers pointed at my face.

So, yeah. I do think they're a bit "ho-hum" . . . possibly even dangerous in this context.

• Like 1