What's Up With Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular?

BoddaH1994

Thanks for that great (awful) picture. That pretty much sums up what it looked like. Nice to see it was that way SAT night as well so it went the WHOLE holiday weekend looking like that - WOW. I just wrote a LOOOOOOONG letter about this and everything else this season that has just been embarrassing (like the festhaus clock) interesting to see what response I get. I say its time for CF to step up the game and NO installing a longer inverted is NOT stepping up the game! just more of the same.

As cool as Luminosity looks, some performers can have flat singing voices. Kings Island is most likely going to do what Canada's Wonderland did and revamp the International Street fountains to dance and put on a show at night.

Hey.....why not both with staggered performance times....with a beautiful stage area that surrounds the floral clock and tall enough to cover the BLSC from view. Then a stage where the stars are now, perhaps one on the opposite side of the stars....A show that surrounds the guests in lights and music!!!. Then after the Luminosity performance a Dancing Fountains show both shows leading guests closer to the gate as the evening closes to a wonderful fireworks display...I say spectacular!!!

As far as singers.....wadda ya want? I'm pretty sure Christina A is out of the price range for Kings Island, unless you want to forgo a new attraction, and Britney S hasn't been reduced to playing in bars and honky tonks yet.....I'm thinking KI might be able to afford Lindsay L if the crack didn't kill her voice. LOL

• Like 1

^ Do they even advertise Starlight Spectacular as an attraction anymore? I view it as decoration at this point.

It gets its own short blurb in the show schedule brochure.

Plus it had an announcement during the days, kind of like the smoking announcement.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

that is one thing that drives me crazy, because to me its laziness. the tower gardens could be gorgeous and instead its a crappy looking smoking area, and snoopys starlight specatuclar too, they need to just take the lights down if they aren't going to take care of them!!! boo blasters has been pretty pathetic for a while too, put forth a little effort for goodness sakes, I'm not saying go all Disney with the theming but little changes could make the atmosphere of the park so much better.

• Like 3

from where i sit, it's the same lazy thinking that puts

• Panda Express in a German themed Festhaus.
  • (last year)- a show called "British Invasion" in Festhaus
  • Mexican Food in Oktoberfest
  • Roller Coasters on top of each other in X-Base
  • nothing international on International Street
  • Reds Hall of fame Grill (which i do like, by the way)- but in Rivertown... theme-wise, doesn't that seem more like a Coney Mall thing?

Its seems they turn a blind eye to the theming that already exists in the park. And what theming is put in is forgotten in a few years. The park could do away with all of the "themed" areas and just become one large "Action Zone."

This being said, KI is a great park. Have had a pass for 18 of the last ____ years of my life. To me, its like a home builder that decides to put a 1-story wood exterior house in a development of otherwise all 2-story brick homes. (actual instance where I live)- nothing specifically wrong with the house.... it just seems "out of place."

• Like 2

Festhaus? As in... Oktoberfest? During, well, the actual Oktoberfest? :D I'd *love* some German sausage on fresh broetchen with a little sauerkraut and some good German mustard. Goes so nice with ein bier. I understand that we can't build a pagoda to house Panda, and don't mind it being in there... but some actual German fare would be awesome!

The rest takes some time - Snoopy's Starlight seemed to die in one season, and taking all that stuff down can't be cheap, has to happen off-hours or off-season (it's way the heck up there....). It was pretty cool, but it's had many seasons so I agree with those who think it's time to just shut it off and ignore it until/unless it's fully restored or removed.

All of this of course, meant to help make KI even more awesome than it already is, since it's still my fave. So compact, and yet so much to do.

• Like 1

PLEASE all you guys write to KI and if you don't get a response I say we start writing to Ouimet. Thats my plan if I go another day or two without a response. You guys seem to get all that I am saying (I too have made all those observations about Festhaus - on my letter as well. Speak up and keep speaking up. CF is killing the charm and potential that they bought when they got KI. Its still not too late, but at the rate they are going its going to cost too much to get it back and we KNOW they wont do that!

While I support numerous ideas that have come upon this forum, I must also throw in a little disclaimer/plea.

Writing to the park is great, stopping in at Guest Relations is great but doing so in excess can get annoying to those who can (higher ups) and those who can't (seasonal associates in Guest Relations and other departments that may receive any contact from the park). The park does hear numerous complaints/recommendations/suggestions/praises daily. It would be silly to imagine that you will get a response right away. I know that when I've sent in a letter to Cedar Point using their forms, they say something to the effect of response may take up to 2 weeks once received for you to receive a response. Sometimes it takes longer, depending on the level of severity/needed communication. So don't expect a response right away.

Also note that most of the ideas/proposals do cost some kind of money, whether it be removing Snoopy Starlight Spectacular, renovating the Festhaus to be more German, etc. I'm sure that the park has a certain amount of money, capital, to spend on projects for the next year. Some projects I am sure are in the works a year before fruition and ranked on importance. I think that the park would have to weigh the importance on a project, (not saying this is exactly what is going on right now with the park nor am I speaking for the park) like does the park repave the parking lot or do they fix up the Festhaus to be an authentic German eatery?

Finally, any letters or communication you put forth toward the park and/or Mr. Ouimet, do so with the utmost respect. As enthusiasts writing in to either, you represent other enthusiasts and KIC (even if you don't think you do).

Edit: Also thought of this as well:

When I am working with my fellow co-workers and trainees I've always told them that they can come to me with issues that I may be able to fix. I've also told my past employees this as well. When they come to me with issue with something that they have the chance to fix, work around, learn from, etc. they need to take it at face value, but with poor planning, it doesn't constitute an emergency on my part. I kind of feel like the phrase: it doesn't constitute and emergency on my part could be turned into what we see as an issue as the enthusiasts we are, doesn't mean it's an emergency on the parks end or necessary to take care of right away. Yeah I understand that Starlight Spectacular looks terrible and what not but the park may have other fish to fry at the moment. I don't know if this edit makes sense....I've been awake too long and my brain is fried from work.

Edited by chugh43
  • Like 7

Thanks for that great (awful) picture. That pretty much sums up what it looked like. Nice to see it was that way SAT night as well so it went the WHOLE holiday weekend looking like that - WOW. I just wrote a LOOOOOOONG letter about this and everything else this season that has just been embarrassing (like the festhaus clock) interesting to see what response I get. I say its time for CF to step up the game and NO installing a longer inverted is NOT stepping up the game! just more of the same.

I agree, Banshee may looks great but think of what 24 million in park improvements could have done!

The question for Cedar Fair and Kings Island was how best to invest the money available for Kings Island.

For many, many years Premier Parks/Six Flags deferred or simply didn't do much required maintenance while installing gigantic new spectaculars year after year. That worked well...for a while. And then it didn't.

The old Cedar Fair did similar things. See, for instance, the Cedars (employee housing).

It may not have been a Banshee\OR choice. Repair and maintenance enhancements may be slated.

It's not like maintenance and general improvements get a lot of marketing attention as a rule.

• Like 5

They also didn't do anything with the area during Haunt in 2012, did they? I think they should get rid of the light show that WAS good, but isn't now. That way they can use it for Haunt and then take all the stuff out during summer, simple as that.

I don't think you'll ever see German food served in the Festhaus. They did that for a few years in the beginning and then migrated away from it. You'll more likely see it rebranded to something different than being German-themed. The truth is, there is no shortage of lines for the Italian/American/Chinese retaurants in there, and the cash flow is likely superb. They're not going to retread an idea from the 80's just because it's called the "Festhaus." In fact, I'd be willing to say that the whole Oktoberfest section will be parted out to all of the other local sections within the next 10 years. Just my $.02

• Like 2

The fact that they can't refill the souvineer cups concerns me far more than a Chinese restaurant being in a German building. That's extremely inconvenient for the customers and isn't really disclosed anywhere in the advertising for the cups.

EDIT: Just to clairfy, Panda Express WILL do the $1 refills, per the signs they had on their registers last weekend.

I'm only guessing here, but I'm willing to say you're correct. They probably have a different purchasing agreement with Coke than the rest of the park. If you recall, they also couldn't scan your pass for Fun Perks, but I think that was more of a technological thing than anything. From what I understand, they use a different register system.

Gosh, why does Panda have to be so darn delicious??

• Like 3

from where i sit, it's the same lazy thinking that puts

• Reds Hall of fame Grill (which i do like, by the way)- but in Rivertown... theme-wise, doesn't that seem more like a Coney Mall thing?

So your saying Cincinnati is not a rivertown? I do believe that the Reds are part of this rivertown. And if you want something that sticks out, what does a Beast have to do with a Rivertown?

• Like 1

^^ From what I understand, Panda Express is operated by an independent franchisee, not the park. Giving away free refills to souvenir cup guests probably doesn't make business sense, though I'd hope they would honor the deal for those purchasing their food. It would be very inconvenient to stand in two different lines for food and drink.

I don't care what cuisine(s) they offer in the Festhaus, but I'd really prefer some unique choices. I can get Panda Express at airports, mall food courts, and street corners in any major city - without the ~30% premium.

• Like 1

that is one thing that drives me crazy, because to me its laziness. the tower gardens could be gorgeous and instead its a crappy looking smoking area, and snoopys starlight specatuclar too, they need to just take the lights down if they aren't going to take care of them!!! boo blasters has been pretty pathetic for a while too, put forth a little effort for goodness sakes, I'm not saying go all Disney with the theming but little changes could make the atmosphere of the park so much better.

They can combine the two- make a Starlight Garden.