Disney Hollywood Studios

Getting a a potential Star Wars Land and Cars Land.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201306/3524/

Imagine a future Disney's Hollywood Studios with Star Wars Land, Cars Land and Pixar Place anchoring the southern half of the park, with Sunset Boulevard, featuring Tower of Terror and Rock 'n Roller Coaster, anchoring the north end. After many months of Universal Orlando pummeling Disney with one popular new expansion after another -- Harry Potter, Transformers, Springfield, andmore Harry Potter -- it appears that Disney might, finally, be ready to strike back.
  • Like 2

There has been talk of removing the entire backlot attraction (save for Castrophe Canyon itself, which would be saved and incorporated into the new land) to make room for either Cars Land or Star Wars land. As of last year, it seemed Disney was leaning towards Cars land east (without the raditor springs racers ride, since Test Track is basically that ride and is faster) but it seems like the star wars idea has taken root.

I think the bigger thing is that Universal Studios is not really focusing on that either. They built HS to draw people from Universal. Now they are adapting to the changing market place.

Star Wars already has a bit of land by it, especially if the Indiana Jones Stunt show was to go away.

I think it's a good move for the park either way. It's more of a 1/2 day park at this point.

• Like 1

These additions definitely would help the park. I had fun when I went last year, but other than Tower of Terror and Rock N' Roller Coaster, there's not much. You have some decent shows and the overrated Star Tours, and a few outdated rides and attractions.

These additions definitely would help the park. I had fun when I went last year, but other than Tower of Terror and Rock N' Roller Coaster, there's not much. You have some decent shows and the overrated Star Tours, and a few outdated rides and attractions.

How DARE you call Star Tours overrated?!?!?!? Star Tours is my favorite ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios! It is one of the few rides I would wait over an hour for. It is NOT overrated!

(Sorry, but you hit my geekdom in the wrong spot. :))

• Like 2

Which makes it about 1/4 a day more than Animal Kingdom for most...

Terpy, HOW DARE YOU say that about my favorite park. You should be ashamed.

Colonel who loves DAK more than the park I worked at.

How DARE you call Star Tours overrated?!?!?!? Star Tours is my favorite ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios! It is one of the few rides I would wait over an hour for. It is NOT overrated!

(Sorry, but you hit my geekdom in the wrong spot. :))

Thank you Johnathan. I am glad I am not the only one who feels he should have force used on him.

Colonel who marathoned it one day for a few hours while it was cold opened before it made it reopened to the public officially in 2011.

I think you guys are trying to kill me after a long day at work.

• Like 2

Which makes it about 1/4 a day more than Animal Kingdom for most...

...especially if the timing of "Festival of the Lion King" and "Finding Nemo: The Musical" works out for you :-)

I do have to question the appeal of CarsLand without Radiator Springs...yes, CarsLand at DCA is probably one of the best themed things I've ever seen done in a park, but without that big E-ticket attraction at the end of the street you don't have much more there than a food and shopping expansion. (Although, I was pleasantly surprised with Mater's Junkyard Jamboree...I think I rode it at least five times!) And while I agree that Test Track and Radiator Springs provide similar ride systems, the story and experience of the two are very different. (And, I think the same argument about similar ride systems could be made of Spiderman and Transformers at IOA and USF, or any one of the multiple "4D" movie experiences Disney repeats at each of their parks...)

• Like 4

If Disney goes with Cars Land East at DHS, they are leaning towards either a dark ride or coaster along the lines of snow white over at MK. As for AK, i'm still not sold on it. I liked EE, Dinosaur and the safari. The rest just seemed blah to me. I agree with Terp...a few hours in the morning is about all I spend there if and when I make it a part of my Disney trips.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's more of a 1/2 day park at this point.

A half day park?!? We recently rated the attractions and shows at DHS for our trip there next week, and there are so many things towards the top of the list that I'm wondering if we'll be able to get them all in. Now, if you go at an off-peak time maybe it's a half day, but we're going at one of the worst times of the year so I think we'll be plenty busy. I'll let you know if I turn out to be wrong.

As far as Star Wars and Cars Land, I'd love to see those. I agree with jzarley though, I can't see them excluding Radiator Springs Racers. That's the main attraction at Cars Land DCA. I read an article online somewhere this week that the only ride from Cars Land DCA that they wouldn't do at DHS is Luigi's Flying Tires because, according to the author, they couldn't dig down deep enough in FL to install the fans that are required for that ride. I don't know how true that is since I imagine footers for other rides have to go pretty deep, but that's the reason the article gave. Who cares if it's the same ride type as Test Track? There's so much story and effects to it that it will be different enough for the typical visitor. Look at The Little Mermaid and Finding Nemo... pretty much the exact same ride vehicle (shell), and that thought process can also be extended to Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Spaceship Earth and Journey into Imagination.

As for Avatar at AK, I wouldn't mind seeing that being scrapped. I wasn't a fan of the movie. Who knows though, maybe the sequels will change my mind (whenever those come along).

• Like 1