Vortex Seems More Rough

shawnofthedead

I last went to the park 10 years ago and my girlfirend last went 3 years ago. We rode Vortex Saturday and it seemed more rough than before. We was in the first car would that had something to do with it? Does anybody have any imput or agree that maybe the middle or back rides smoother or is the ride just getting old? Maybe im getting old haha

• Like 1

Maybe it was that train and car, I thought The Beast was smoother.

If you rode the Front seat, you probably got thrown around a lot. Vortex has a few rough transitions. You can thank Ron Toomer for that but it's still smoother then most of the Arrow Loopers. Anaconda at Kings Dominion OUCH!!! is all I can say.

• Like 1

I rode it about 3 weeks ago, it felt pretty good considering it's nearly 30 years old. Getting older might have something to do with it. Your body can change a lot in 10 years.

I have ridden Viper, Shockwave and GASM. Viper was the most rerideable of the three but the other two were more fun. Just really intense.

• Like 1

If you rode the Front seat, you probably got thrown around a lot. Vortex has a few rough transitions. You can thank Ron Toomer for that but it's still smoother then most of the Arrow Loopers. Anaconda at Kings Dominion OUCH!!! is all I can say.

I think you thats what it was. Im gonna ride in the back next time and the "drop" wasnt as good in the front. I cant wait till this weekend....so glad i got season pass and not Fast Lane!!!

• Like 1

Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens is pretty smooth though.

• Like 2

The further back on the train I can get the better, I say. There's great airtime on the drop, and I stress "great" and some of the banking changes are much less intense. The only down side I see is that dumb, angled level-out for the drop from the MCBR that leads into corkscrews.. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why Arrow did that with all their coasters with such elements..

• Like 1

Rode this last week in the back seat and had no issues. It was pretty close to how it's always been for me. However, I almost always ride back seat. Diamondback has a pretty thrilling front seat right though.. especially if you let your legs fly up

• Like 2

When riding any coaster, don't tense up. Relax and enjoy the ride (unless you are on a coaster that used to exist at KI - whose name will not be said in order to prevent this entire thread from becoming yet another "forum" for the dislike or like of said machine, and some KICers have "battle scars" from that contraption - they no longer think ANYTHING is rough!).

• Like 3

But, seriously - the roughness you can feel when riding a coaster can be the result of several things - track, wheels, age, etc. - but some coaster designs have such awkward turns and twists and you take those transitions to be rough, which they are, so take all these things into consideration next time you ride and then give a report explaining the roughness you experience and how it seemed to present itself to you while riding.

• Like 3

I also have to wonder: do some people not have the ability to discern laterals from roughness? Because I was reading some comments on facebook that say: "Oh my gawsh, The Legend at Holiday World is so rough!" and I just rode that thing from the VERY back seat and had zero issues with roughness on that ride (and honestly, I never have on any of my 5+ rides on it), but it did have serious lateral forces.

Just a random thought...

Oh, and to clarify...
Roughness- Bumps and jolts, the rider/train will bounce around the track. Usually caused by poorly done track work/poor ride upkeep, or in some cases bad design.

Laterals- A g-force effect that pushes riders to the side of the train, usually around a underbanked or un-banked turn. Almost always designed into the ride if found on one.

• Like 2

I rode it Thursday and I felt like it was slightly smoother than it was when I rode it about a year ago. I think the only thing that is semi-rough about it is that you get banged around a little bit. But with that type of ride thats expected to an extent.

• Like 1

I just dont remember it being as rough, by that I mean hard changes in direction which felt like it was slaming you to one side or the other. I can recall a smoother transition, but never rode in the front before, on that ride. Has to be what it was, im going back this weekend and going to ride again in back and that will tell me. Im not complaining, I still love riding it!!

At my size (6'6" 240 lbs), I HAVE to basically lock myself in, or else the ride just beats me to death. I have too much legs and torso to fit right, have to squeeze down to fit under the restraint, which puts my knees right at the height of the lip.

5-1 is a great ride. The front, which I still stupidly jump in from time to time, just beats me to death.

• Like 1