Vortex Seems More Rough

shawnofthedead

At my size (6'6" 240 lbs), I HAVE to basically lock myself in, or else the ride just beats me to death. I have too much legs and torso to fit right, have to squeeze down to fit under the restraint, which puts my knees right at the height of the lip.

5-1 is a great ride. The front, which I still stupidly jump in from time to time, just beats me to death.

Thank you, I feel less like an Old man lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I circled the spots on Vortex that give me the most uncomfort. I suggest that you brace yourself through these sections.

r0duvb.jpg

The spot circled closest to the station is just the final break run, which if you ask me, it's quite excessive.

That "worst spot" that you've circled is a part that personally I have grown to like. I like the "out of control feeling" it gives.

• Like 3

There's no way it was ever smooth. I know this was before computers but still, a high school physics class could tell those transitions were ridiculous.

It wasn't before computers.

I used a mainframe UNIVAC computer from Sperry Rand in my fifth grade science class in 1966. That's 21 years before Vortex and 23 YEARS before Magnum debuted. And if a fifth grader had access more than two decades before, Ron Toomer & Associates certainly did.

There's no way it was ever smooth. I know this was before computers but still, a high school physics class could tell those transitions were ridiculous.

By comparison to other rides in 1987, it may have seemed smooth. At one point in the last century or so, a 6 mph coaster in Coney Island, New York was the most thrilling thing ever.

• Like 1

I rode Vortex tonight and it still feels great to me! I had to listen to a couple teenage boys in great shape cry about their necks hurting after the ride(maybe they should focus on working out their necks and not their arms so much? Meanwhile my 13 year old female family member who is a twig loved every minute of the ride! Vortex jerks you around a bit but I love that about the ride.

• Like 1

I have created a photo that shows what areas of Vortex I think are uncomfortable.

vortex_zpsaac4bdc2.jpg

Photo by Joyrides.com

Interesting, you happen to have circled all of the parts of Vortex that I think are thrilling, fun, and just generally amazing. :P

In fact, I seem to be in a very small minority in that the only way I think Vortex could actually be made better is to give it Vekoma's new trains like you find on the Carolina Cobra.

Coincidentally, this is the first, and possibly last time you will ever see me offer praise to Vekoma for anything.

• Like 2

I rode Vortex two times on Friday. I rode in the very front once and then 2-1 the second time. It really isn't that bad, and I still find the ride quite enjoyable. It isn't butter smooth, but its great for a 26 year old roller coaster. The inversions have some excellent g-forces and I love the small amount of hang time you get in the corkscrew element. If you're looking for the best ride, the front of the train is absolutely the way to go as with most Arrow loopers. I do, however, enjoy the nice pop of airtime you get in the back on the first drop.