Kings Dominion and BG Williamsburg Tips?

Hi all, in 2 days I will be leaving for a fantastic trip through Virginia! On the trip, we are going to KD and BGW, so I was hoping for tips for the parks. We will have enough time for all the rides, so I'm not concerned about that, but I was wondering what the best places to eat are? What is the best approach to the park, best seats on rides? Really anything that could improve our experience would be great! Thanks!

I can help for the Busch Gardens part, but I have no clue about Kings Dominion.

You're best place to eat in BGW is Trappers Smokehouse. It is excellent BBQ, and I have heard stories of pass holders driving to the park on their lunch break just to eat at the Smokehouse. If you are not a fan of BBQ, try the pizza or spaghetti in Italy. Also make sure to get a chocolate banana crepe from the crepe stand in France. Super good and also served to you by people actually from Paris. They are really cool people.

There is not really any special approach to visiting Busch Gardens. There are few enough rides and attractions that you do not need a game plan to conquer the park. There are some things you should not miss while in the park. Ride the Skyride all the way around (it has three stations). Watch the show Celtic Fyre in Ireland. Stop by the stables to see the Clydesdales. If you can afford it, buy the Roller Coaster Insider Tour. You'll get to walk around on top of Griffon, and go in all of the maintenance bays.

My favorite seat on Griffon is the front seat on the very outside left side. Alpengeist is the best in the back row on the left side. Verbolten is a front seat ride. Apollo is only worth riding in the back row. You can skip Europe in the Air. It is an awful experience. Ride the train.

I haven't been on Nessie since I got here. I'm not a fan of Arrow loopers.

Take pictures and if you see a tall ginger kid with a name tag that says "ohio" on it, it is me. :)

• Like 4

If you get to KD at opening, go directly to Volcano. As much as you may want to ride I305 first, Volcano has a dreadfully long line and has low capacity. The back of the park opens at 1030. Only a few rides toward the front open at 10. If you have a platinum pass, you can get in to the back of the park at 10:20 to get first in line privileges. Going back to volcano, ride in the front seat for sure. I would suggest riding it a second time too.

After that, go to I305, line moves fast. Sit in front seat and then middle. I liked the last seat least but it was still awesome. Like I said, wait for the front seat as well for I305. Amazing ride, I was absolutely blown away.

As for the other major player, Dominator, ride in front seat if you want the true floorless effect. I would suggest going to this later in the day as the line gets shorter due to it being in the front of the park. Good ride, nothing special in my opinion though.

I just went to KD Sunday and it was incredible. Only rode the 3 big guys but got 2 Volcano and 4 I305. Awesome rides! Have a blast!

• Like 1

As for food at Kings Dominion, I highly recommend Busch Gardens. For real.

Don't miss Avalanche at Kings Dominion. It won't be there forever. Grizzly is awesome.

If you can, go to KD first. It's probably my least favorite former Paramount Park, and this from a guy who adores Volcano: The Blast Coaster.

I could happily spend a week at BGW without ever riding a thing. But don't do that. It's a wonderful park, and it's yours to explore.

• Like 4

Grizzly is a highly underrated coaster in my opinion. From my perspective, anyway, I rarely hear anyone talk about it, but it's a great ride.

I just had to chime in as in a couple weeks we are making our way to Williamsburg for a conference, and we plan on hitting up BGW at least a few times with the girls. I'll definitely be on the lookout for the (insert dramatic music here)...ginger kid.

:)

• Like 5

How is Curse of Darkastle? (sp?)

My wife and I went to BGW as part of our honeymoon, and that was the year before this was built, so there is quite a bit new for us to explore. I'm very excited that our 1.5 and 5.5 year old girls will meet all of their Sesame Street friends.

What I remember most about BGW is just how beautiful it is. To me, it's almost like Disney married to Cedar Point; a near-perfect blend of theme, charm, and thrills.

• Like 2

Thanks Terp, I needed that.

I like Darkastle, but it is falling apart. I have been on it twice since I have been here. Both times the screens and audio were not synched to each other or the cars. The 3D is really good and still makes me flinch.

EDIT: I forgot to add that a guest came up to me this week and said he was a professor at Akron, and I couldn't remember what college dr_humor worked at, so I asked if he knew what this site, Pointbuzz, and Coasterbuzz, but it turned out not being him and I had this guy confused. :)

• Like 3

And no pooch spits on you at the end.

stupidly annoying feature.

I took my sone on his first White Water Canyon ride a couple of weeks ago (and my first ride in probably 20 years). We had a blast, but barely got wet (I wasnt' complaining). He wanted to do the log flume next, so I took him on that, and made the mistake of granting his wish to sit in the front, which got us both properly soaked compared to the 2 of us sitting in the back. If that wasn't enough, I forgot about that evil snoopy as we came around the bend, he spit all over me.

• Like 3

The log flume! Yes, it is wonderful, especially since I am still in denial over White Water Landing being removed from Cedar Point (not that I don't love Maverick).

It's the University of Mount Union. :)

I must say I'm a bit surprised to hear that some of the effects aren't being kept up, especially on an attraction that is all about...well...the effects. I suppose I shouldn't be so harsh on Cedar Point for "letting things go" from time to time. Hopefully there is enough there to make it memorable. Of course we have our first rides on Griffon to look forward to as well.

So where might I run into you TTD? Do they let you out to roam the park? The closer we get to the trip I'll know the days we'll be hanging around.

• Like 2

If you get to KD at opening, go directly to Volcano. As much as you may want to ride I305 first, Volcano has a dreadfully long line and has low capacity. The back of the park opens at 1030. Only a few rides toward the front open at 10. If you have a platinum pass, you can get in to the back of the park at 10:20 to get first in line privileges. Going back to volcano, ride in the front seat for sure. I would suggest riding it a second time too.

After that, go to I305, line moves fast. Sit in front seat and then middle. I liked the last seat least but it was still awesome. Like I said, wait for the front seat as well for I305. Amazing ride, I was absolutely blown away.

As for the other major player, Dominator, ride in front seat if you want the true floorless effect. I would suggest going to this later in the day as the line gets shorter due to it being in the front of the park. Good ride, nothing special in my opinion though.

I just went to KD Sunday and it was incredible. Only rode the 3 big guys but got 2 Volcano and 4 I305. Awesome rides! Have a blast!

I've been 4 times in the last 3 years, this has worked flawlessly every time. As an extension of this, Dominator is one of the rides that opens right at 10 when the gates open. I've always been able to squeeze a ride in between gate opening and 10:20 when they let the Platinum and KD Gold Passholders back into the park early. For that, everybody that wants in early meets back on the path behind the Eiffel Tower (about as far back as the fork going around Backlot in KI proximity).

But I would also recommend to go back to Dominator later in the day and wait for the front. You might not have the time to on the 10:00 ride.

Randoms tips: As a heads up, Shockwave and Avalanche open at noon. Grizzly is very under-rated, I loved it in the back. Volcano is always worth the extra 5 minutes for the front. If you stay til close, definitely ride 305 after dark. It'll close for the fireworks similarly to The Beast

• Like 1

Don't miss The Crypt at KD. The fire, water, and music (assuming they're all working) make the ride a staple flat. Also, pass up Backlot Stunt Coaster. Kings Island is the only place the ride is worth anything.

As for Busch Gardens, ride Escape from Pompeii and The Flying Machine. Both are excellent rides but for different reasons.

• Like 1