Benefits of riding in the Front/Back?

shawnofthedead

The front of a coaster gives the rider a good view and the back gives the rider more forces as it is the "whip" of the train. For me, it doesn't matter where I sit on most rides, although there are some KI coasters I tend to ride near the back on (Vortex, Diamondback, Adventure Express). Vortex is great in the back because I love the airtime from the first big drop. I ride in the back on Diamondback because riding in the very front scares me (seriously). Adventure Express is fun in the back because I like the feeling of getting pulled down the drop out of the station when the ride first starts. Also, I've experienced some fun surprises at other parks when I've sat in the back (like that crazy ride on Thunderhead and the pop of airtime from the back of Top Thrill Dragster).

• Like 5

I like both front and back of Diamondback, but sometimes I really like the feeling you get of being pulled down the tracks by sitting in the back. The majority of the train is already over the hill and it makes for intense hills!

• Like 1

Youngun: The back is faster!

Terp: Then why doesn't it beat the front back?

Youngun: (Confused look, saunters off quietly).

Terp: Tee Hee.

Did this actually happen? I hope so. Hahaha.

It all comes down to personal preference. I like Diamondback, Maverick, Beast in the front - for different reasons. Diamondback has stronger airtime in the front, The Beast is a front seat ride, and in my opinion so is Maverick. Different seats create different experiences. Ever been on the front seat (No, not row 2) of Millennium Force or Top Thrill Dragster? Uhm, yeah. The views.

• Like 1

Ki Man, I totally agree. I love the front row views on those coasters and you get great airtime getting pushed over those hills. Maverick especially gives very different ride experiences in the front car.

But front row on Dragster at night can be disgusting at best! Terpy and I got covered in Mufflehead massacre recently. I've had my run-ins before but this was ridiculous and I'm not exaggerating at all when I say we were totally in covered bug guts.

• Like 2

I tend to prefer the front of most rides. Hanging over the edge on the first hill as the weight of the train clears the lift....especially The Beast, is great. Call me a wimp if you will, but I hate being thrown around in the back of most trains. Diamondback on the other hand has NO bad seat I have found, love it back, center, or front !! Though I will say the view from the front 2 rows, is amazing. The night after my first front seat ride on DB I even dreamed it again, that view, as the track falls away under you, is outstanding.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rode the back on The Beast and backlot on Monday. The Beast killed me. I've never felt it that rough. The front is much much better.

Next time, ride in the second-to-the-last row, not the very last row. The very last row sits directly over a wheel, so it is much rougher. The second-to-last row (and any row that is in the middle of an individual car) sits between the wheels and therefore is much smoother. And trust me, it is a HUGE difference.

• Like 1

To me the back gives you more of the sinking/airtime feeling. The front looses that on the first drop, but I have noticed sitting in the front when you top a hill you feel more like you coming out of your seat than you do in the back. IMO

Agree 100%

I prefer sitting in the front of Diamondback for the first three hills before the hammerhead as the ejector air is stronger there. It gives more the sensation of " Wow, I'm being launched out of my seat! " then compared to the back which is more like floating.

However though after those three hills and the turnaround, the front is no longer the place to be, as the back experiences much more airtime and floating sensation on the smaller hills heading back to the station.

If only there was a way to switch seats mid-ride!

• Like 1

I usually tend to prefer the back because I love that feeling of getting whipped and pulled through inversions and over hills. Diamondback is an awesome example of this.

But I must admit, sometimes you just can't beat the front seat. Millennium Force...Dragster...The Beast...Pure bliss.