Train live action show footage?

yellowyoshi398

Hey guys! I'm a child of the 90s so I always feel like I missed out on the glory days of the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad. To this day you can't ride the train without having someone talk about how much better it was in the 70s, when actors playing cowboys and Indians would battle and even board the train. Supposedly, there was also some more theming that has been removed from the ride over the years, such as some animatronics in the area of the wild west town that were apparently removed sometime in the 80s.

Thing is, I've hunted around online and I've never really been able to find footage of this mysterious, nebulous live action show. I know personal camcorders weren't exactly popular in the 70s, but I imagine there has to be some video of the cowboys vs. Indians show floating around there somewhere, if it really was as integral a part of the Kings Island experience as everyone says it was.

Really, though, I just love the train, and would love to see footage of it during any part of its storied 40+ year history. Seems like looking up "Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad" on Youtube only gets you personal videos from recent trips, never anything older than say 5 years. Can anyone recommend me some good vintage footage of the train in days long past?

• Like 4

Just imagine of HD camcorders, personal computers, and sites like YouTube existed back in those days. Oh the footage of the park that would have been preserved for generations to come! Oh well, at least we have some video documentation from that time period. Better than nothing I guess!

• Like 1

I wonder if Taft Broadcasting has/had any film footage....Maybe even Kings Island has some film footage stored somewhere....anyone at KingsIslandPR have any idea?

That really sucks about how they got rid of the cowboys and animatronics. Cedar Point and lake erie railroad. Still has their animatronics that's at least 50 years old

Skip ahead to 1:24...

It's not great, but given the quality of home-movie equipment of the time, it's probably the best we're going to get.

Thanks!! Man, amazing all the stuff they took out. You think they could've at least kept the teepees and wagons and stuff.

It would be lovely to get some higher quality video though... You think in all their years of owning the park Taft would've filmed some of the train for promotional purposes. Thanks a bundle though, this is exactly what I was looking for!

This doesn't really help with KI footage, but if you'd want to experience something similar to watching a live show while riding the train, Silver Dollar City still has a skit on their train ride. Oh how I wish I could have visited the park back then!

The actors on the Frisco Silver Dollar Line Steam Train:

DSC02453edited.jpg

DSC02456edited.jpg

I remember the early 70s well, when the train still had the cowboys and indians skit. It used to be one of my favorite rides, and it was actually a ride...not just a transport system like it is now. You didn't stop to let guests on and off at the water park. The only time you did stop was when the train robbers stopped the train, and I distinctly remember they had toy guns. The guns looked real, until you saw the end of the barrel and it was plugged up. One time I was riding it and a kid actually told the guy "That's not a real gun". The actor pointed it at him and ad-libbed something like "Shut up, boy, or you might get hurt". It was fun. That was when Rivertown was actually Rivertown, and you felt like you were in a different time when you were in that part of the park.

• Like 7

I have collected multiple vintage KI pics that I've found online and I have a separate folder for the railroad as well as all the original rides.

From multiple sites

roungthebend_zps5ced1a5c.jpg

From https://www.visitkingsisland.com/

012_zpsbe0b3810.jpg

Couldn't find a link

002_zps6c5d2135.jpg

Couldn't find a link

Tecumsuhunderthebridge_zpsd784f757.jpg

Found this pic from a website from the manufactures of the locomotives http://www.infinitevillage.com/html/crown/

003_zps656f52c9.jpg

Couldn't find a link

013_zps14f6600d.jpg

One of my favorites from http://kiextreme.com/

27817092473_zpsf4a60ee5.jpg

From http://kiextreme.com/

KI_1975_12_zpsb7860ba1.jpg

From this site

oldwesterntown_zps3a5b6335.jpg

couldn't trace the link

lastcar_zps9eccb924.jpg

couldn't trace the link

OldKenny_zps0ae5c536.jpg

From http://kiextreme.com/

railroad_zps6701de49.jpg

Couldn't find link

Tecusuh_zps7dc9703c.jpg

(I'm making a folder for vintage Racer pics. If anyone knows of any online, please inbox me a link).

Videos

• Like 4

The actors were cool and all back then, but nowadays people just don't like the idea of guns pointed at their faces. Also side note, I think the conductors do a pretty nice job of speiling informative and funny things, it still is a ride they make it unique. It just happens to stop at SC.

• Like 1

Don't sit in the back of the train if you cant stand the smell of cigarette smoke. Smoking section right where you stop at Soak City. Ride-op standing behind us yesterday doesn't like it either, I felt bad she has to breathe in someone's nasty habit every time the train stops there. I like riding the train when Soak City is closed, much more peaceful and relaxing. It always seems like we wait there for 15 minutes before we start rolling again.

• 4 years later...

The live cowboys and indians didn't really fight that much. The indians did charge the train and the fort at Ft. McHale. The animatronic old dude at Tommy Fry's cabin caught an arrow in his chest. The bad guys were the train robbers who stopped the train at the village and kidnapped Miss Jessica. The script varried...sometimes at the actors' whims, so you may hear a number of versions as to what actually happened. The guns were real and professionaly modified. They shot only blanks but made a serious noise. A part of the actors' jobs was keeping the guns clean...the blanks discharged downward out of the barrel and really did get dirty fast.

I have some Super8 silent film but it is a pain to get it transferred and the quality isn't that great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1