Dayton Air Show Crash

We go every year, but decided to pass this year- I'm really sad this happened, I really feel bad for the pilots' families.

Air people are usually such fun and positive people. It's common to say "They were doing what made them happy" at times like this, but still...

^It seems like something would have to happen to the spectators. If they lose the trust of their customers, then they probably would not find it financially sound to remain open. Thankfully that did not happen today. Still, very sad to hear about this. I have a friend who saw it happen as he sold Programs there today. Seems like he was pretty shaken up by it. :(

• Like 1

At what point do they cancel the air show for good? Is it worth it? I don't think so.

The Dayton Air Show has one of the better histories as far as accidents are concerned. They shouldn't be canceled for good because air shows with the Blue Angels are, simply put, amazing.
  • Like 1

At what point do they cancel the air show for good? Is it worth it? I don't think so.

At what point do they close an amusement park because some one died riding a ride they love? The performers at these shows know the consiquenses of what they do, and they do it because they love to do it. They love to perform, they love the addrenalen rush, and they love to fly. Most of all they would not want a show cancled because of an accident. Also, the International Council of Air Shows ( http://www.airshows.aero/ ) regulates and licenses all the performers, only the best get to perform. As for this particular air show, it is one of the oldest in the nation and has one of the best safety records. In the past 40 years only two fatal accidents (3 performers and no spectators) that's a pretty good record. Air shows in general are hurting because of cut backs, no military teams are in the air or on the ground for static display. This is an industry on its own, you can't just shut it down because some one was killed or injured, for one the economic impact, and second (and most important) the people involved who dearly love what they do, and do it to teach, inspire, and to fufill dreams, not just there own but of every dreamer who dreams of flying. Yes it is worth it, and it is very important that they fly on Sunday, if not for the Dayton aviation community, then for my dear friend Charlie.

• Like 7

I'm partial to the Thunderbirds, for no particular reason. I do love the air show.

I particularly love going around and looking at the aircraft.

Once, looking at a Huey, the airman standing by asked if I wanted to sit in it, "It's yours." So I sat in it, because it's mine.

I can't think of Vectron canceling air shows, or any any other venue canceling air shows. This is how the pilots make money doing what they love to do. To null their livelihood would be awful.

• Like 3

I was at the Dayton Air Show several years ago when the T-Birds performed. They showcased their military flying skills in their high performance fighter jets. They performed the various flying maneuvers that the military pilots use when flying in combat. The stunt flyers are performing the same stunts that the "barn burners" performed in the early days of aviation. The likes of Jimmy Dolittle and others went from airport to airport showcasing their skills and promoting aviation in its infancy to what it is today. From what I heard, the plane lost lift in its wing due to a dropping airspeed but the final answer won't come until the NTSB conducts their investigation.

• Like 2

At what point do they close an amusement park because some one died riding a ride they love? The performers at these shows know the consiquenses of what they do, and they do it because they love to do it. They love to perform, they love the addrenalen rush, and they love to fly. Most of all they would not want a show cancled because of an accident. Also, the International Council of Air Shows ( http://www.airshows.aero/ ) regulates and licenses all the performers, only the best get to perform. As for this particular air show, it is one of the oldest in the nation and has one of the best safety records. In the past 40 years only two fatal accidents (3 performers and no spectators) that's a pretty good record. Air shows in general are hurting because of cut backs, no military teams are in the air or on the ground for static display. This is an industry on its own, you can't just shut it down because some one was killed or injured, for one the economic impact, and second (and most important) the people involved who dearly love what they do, and do it to teach, inspire, and to fufill dreams, not just there own but of every dreamer who dreams of flying. Yes it is worth it, and it is very important that they fly on Sunday, if not for the Dayton aviation community, then for my dear friend Charlie.

Couldnt have said it better. People dream of flying. These performers love it/live for it. Sort of like people who live to work with animals. You cant just cancel something because of an accident. As long as people dream of being these pilots/working with animals, and there are people willing to go to these shows, then these shows will continue...

• Like 4

I always wonder if declining numbers has to do with "absentee parenting" or the economy or even the internet.

When I was a kid, there was no way for my mom and dad to be able to show me what the blue angels looked like unless they were on TV or ran down to Feature Video to get a VHS rental. My parents took me to the show and I loved it.

Now do parents even pay attention to giving their kids a learning experience such as this? Heck, you can get a parent off of their text messaging to talk to the kid in a grocery store. The economy is down I get that and the internet lets you watch every great stunt performer 24/7.

• Like 2

I didn't go for economic reasons this year, if that helps. The place it's held wasn't designed for a parade of people attending a show. Parking is sometimes difficult, you ride a bus, you carry your chairs and supplies with you, and it's usually on the hottest days of the year.

I'm ready for that, but I suspect a family of four, one in a stroller, might have a tougher time than a couple.

My parents always took us, but this was at a time when kids were outside more, and had more natural strength to take on the day. There seems to be more to fear these days, the heat, the direct sunlight, etc..

I don't know how you and I lived through our childhoods.

It is cool to see a horde of families picnicking under the wings of a B52, though. It has a beautiful symbolism.

• Like 3

I believe the man she was engaged to was one of her pilots. Such a sad thing. There are no true words than can be said that can mark the taking of a life while doing a hobby/sport you enjoy. Such a sad moment. And whats frightening to me, was that the moment before the accident, she was (probably) happy and stressed about hitting her marks...

I didn't go for economic reasons this year, if that helps. The place it's held wasn't designed for a parade of people attending a show. Parking is sometimes difficult, you ride a bus, you carry your chairs and supplies with you, and it's usually on the hottest days of the year.
I'm ready for that, but I suspect a family of four, one in a stroller, might have a tougher time than a couple.
My parents always took us, but this was at a time when kids were outside more, and had more natural strength to take on the day. There seems to be more to fear these days, the heat, the direct sunlight, etc..
I don't know how you and I lived through our childhoods.

It is cool to see a horde of families picnicking under the wings of a B52, though. It has a beautiful symbolism.

I get that sometimes its difficult with youngins. My child is 5 weeks old. I wouldnt take him to the air show for him just because hes 5 weeks old. But when he gets older we will be going (as long as its still around). How did we survive is a great question...

• Like 3