Info On 3rd Ride

SML828

You could at least be open minded... Instead of thinking i'm wrong, at least admit that it is a possibility, because, in all truth, it is. A train extension is also a possiblility, although i think that would be dumber, even if it is cheaper, because trains dont go uphill very efficently, and rearranging the paths would be a logistical nightmare. And the animal safari wasn't used for transporting around the park, it was a ride that you rode to see the animals. Also, if I recall correctly, the skyway across the fountain was removed due to the fact that it broke down all the time and it was difficult to get people off when they were stuck above the fountain. so a monorail that went across the park would, in fact, be a new thing to the park. The train is old and useless, if you ask me. But, i will not say that it will not be expanded because that would be too narrow minded for me.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget what it is that trains can handle in form of hills, but you are right, it isn't very much. I think that it wouldn't be as hard as one might think, to extend the train around the perimeter of the park. It already goes behind TR:TR, and could easily work around Vortex Beast, and other items and areas.

The big thing aobut the monorail is,I think if they had any thoughts of ever using one agian, they would have kept the old monorail, and not sold it to Jungle Jim's. I don't think that financially, the park is really interested in either extending the train, or adding a monorail, to help with moving people around the park. There are already a ton of walkways, and you can get around the park rather easily.

I never got a chance to ride on the old Skyway, but I'm sure we could see it again. I'm sure they are now better controlled and wouldn't break down as often. You have to remember, that if they did this, getting people off in an Emergency would probably much easier today, then it was when the original skyway existed. Many Fire Trucks today that have ladders, are more like portable cranes, and can reach very far. Some reach up to 235 ft, and can have several sections that bend, like a cherry picker would, not to mention, that in a major emergency, they would have people go out across the wires, and just use ropes to rappel everyone to safety, even if it meant, landing in the water, in the fountain.

There isn't anything that spans the length of the park that is a family ride. There are two types of monorails. Transportation type, and the ride type. I guess if PKI had some plans for something, they could put back in a ride type monorail, but I don't think they would ever build a transportation monorail, due to the extreme cost. Intamin makes monorails and systems at a cost of approximately $6.52 million per mile. If you are thinking something like they have at Disney World, or what they are building in Las Vegas, with the Bombardier Mark VI trains, the cost goes up dramatically to a whopping $68 million per mile. I have no idea what the distance is around the perimeter of the park, but I don't think it is worth the whopping price tag, in order to put it in.

If you want to know more, Check out The Monorail Society by clicking here

Yeah well, we're talking about a park that spent over 15 million on a flat ride. Not that i don't like tomb raider, i'm just saying. And if they used steel track... its a possibility. It probably won't happen, mostly because we live in the middle of the country in a place that doesn't generate nearly as many tourists as Orlando. But hey. I hope youre wrong, and i mean that in the nicest way.

yeah, but spending 15 million for a flat ride, that does so many people per hour, and is an excellent thrill ride would make sense to a mjaor amusement park, like PKI. Spending that much, if not more on a monorail, does not make financial sense, considering that PKI is by no means Huge in size, and it very easy to get around. There aren't a whole lot of monorails out there that I coudl find that still use steel track. Most use concrete now, because of its durability, and that is what drives the cost up. You also have to be careful that somethings that run on steel, actually run on two rails, and aren't considered to be monorails, like the failed Cincinnati Light Rail Initiative.

People would like the top spin if it wasnt in a box. But TR isnt the point. The point is that it is possible for something like that. The figures on that site aren't exact. And you don't speak for everyone because you don't like a m onorail. People might like it. It would be cool, thats what I know, and some of us have the freedom to dream, so tongue.gif

If only the case was true, that people did not like Tomb Raider, and that it would be better if it were outdoors. I don't believe this to be the case, as the ride seems to have been very pouplar, as there was always a line for it, all season long.

Also, I never said that I didn't like monorails. I just don't think that PKI is going to install one. In fact, I don't think PKI will install a monorail, or a sky ride, or extend the train. The park is not that large, that they need to, and the money they save could be better spent on park upkeep, coasters and new thrill rides. In all honesty, the previously mentioned rides have all existed in the park in previous times, and out of all three, the train is the only one that remains. The train might be the only one left for more reasons than one. I still think there is probably some expensive upkeep on them, but if I remember correctly, they are the old Miami Valley Railroad locomotives, but have been restored, and retrofitted so that they now burn Liquified Propane Gas, instead of coal. Other than that, I think they are mostly original, and still need to be filled with water every so often. The other thing is they are narrow gauge trains, and only run on track that is 24" wide I think. Standard track is 44" wide or something close to that.

• 3 weeks later...

The Beat clearing is right near the station/brake run. There were lots of bushes/trees cleared near the ride. I didn't see the clearing aorund SOB. There are still a bunch of cleared areas around that ride, just because it was so new, and they cleared tons of land for building and staging when they built SOB.

One of PKI's other new attractions may be that new SpongeBob Squarepants simulator attraction. This ride is coming to the other Paramount Parks, and it will be located in the Action FX Theater. I'm not guaranteeing it, but PCW and PC have so far announced that they are getting it, so who knows.

I got an idea from a KI security guy I was talking to at sears yesterday... he said he hadn't heard anything about a third ride... and also suggested that possibly it could be something announced this year for 04... Nothing has ever said that the third announcement would be for 2003... so...?

Yeah, but then again for all we know, there could be a third ride being built as we speak, and they just aren't releasing any info, or anything about it exisisting. That would be really neat, walking into the park, and finding out aobut a ride, that there were no media releases on.

I think that idea of haveing a new ride in 2004 sounds a little more realistic. I just can not see waiting until the season starts to announce a new ride. It just would not be good business, because you could increase ticket sales. -adam12

-Last post by "adam12" was on 12-23-2002, at 9:28AM.

That is what I am thinking. Just because they don't tell anyone about it, does not mean there isn't something in the works. It wouldn't surprise me, if there ended up being three rides for next year, but they only opt to announce two of them, which owuld be sneaky, but would also be a total surprise when the park opens next season

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think that with all the talk about the fountain getting a makeover and the rumor of a new show for next year, that maybe we will get a live dancing water show synchronized to music and the fireworks. Just a thought but they could but some new rotating heads in the fountain to add to it.

I'm sure with the fountain reconstruction that things will be better. New plumibng with new pumps, new valves, and new nozzles, i'm sure the fountain will be better this year than last, and everything will be more even. I hope they add some really neat lighting to the fountain, and maybe even some fiber-optic so it looks really neat.

Do you think that with all the talk about the fountain getting a makeover and the rumor of a new show for next year, that maybe we will get a live dancing water show synchronized to music and the fireworks. Just a thought but they could but some new rotating heads in the fountain to add to it.

i think what he was trying to say was like the laser show at seaworld orlando or something like it