Pictures

mars1825

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id say thats a good point. What would be the point in hiding something, when everyone already knows what it is? If they are gonna hid soemthing, they should only take pics of Scooby Doo under construction, and not when it nears the end of the project, that way it is a surprise.

• 1 month later...

That grey stuff kinda looks like the encolsed ladder that runs through the metal like tube, for getting to the tops of rides. Most ladders are enclosed, then you don't have to worry about people falling, and they are protected while climbing. Don't know for sure though, they could be structural members for something else.

I would say that those funny looking little feet on the end actually serve a very important purpose. They allow for some tolerance of the ride during fabricating and construction. if everything was welded together, It would have to be perfect, and line up perfect for everything to work with no problems. Those feet probably also help distribute the vibrations, which from a swinging and turning ride, are probably huge. I wonder how much cable actually will arrive? There is going to need to be a lot fo juice on top of that thing, and one huge motor as well, to get that pendulum swinging back and forth, while spinning as well. That thing is gonna spin faster than most think at 8 revolutions per mintue, which is about 7.5 seconds per revolution.

I still don't like the feet. You are pretty much taking the entire weight of the supoorts and placing it on the connecting pin (though it may be huge) cause such a huge shear force that with swinging and twisting I'm affraid will fracture. Why allow variances, how many coaster supports do you see with these types of feet or on the track to allow for variance. Those things are eliminated before production and tested before shipping. I just am going to be weary about them supporting the whole thing.

Oh yeah, the rest of the arm and the legs, along with arm's rotating mechnism have arrive today. Check it out.

Those special feet serve as three different reasons. The first is that some "legs" will sink into the ground. The special legs will allow some sinkage. The second is that the legs have to have some space for expancion and contraction. Over the years this may cause major problems for the ride's structure. The last is for, of corse, suspencion.

Actually, coasters are constrcuted with variances and tolerances. They have to be able to absorb and disperse vibrations throughout the ride. Take Sob or The Beast for example. If you watch the coaster as it moves around, the enormous amount of wood holding either up is there for two reasons. 1.) structural support, and 2.) is dissappates the vibrations very well. Watch some of the timbers when one of the coasters goes through a turn, you can actually see the wood shake allowing the vibrations to disperse. It doesn't surprise me that they have those kind of feet on Delirium. We use feet like that all the time as firefighters, on different tools, and can easily hold tons of weight, on feet much smaller than those.

Chances are it got shipped over in cargo containers, then probably moved to Cincy by train in the cargo containers. There are probably numerous containers in a shipping yard in Cincinnati somewhere, and a company that has the job every day of delivering som many truckloads of parts, til all parts are onsite. I am guessing that the same trucks are out there each day, with a few more parts than before.

About the comment referencing the sinking of the ride, and its legs, I don;t think this is at all possible. There is no way that any building department would let PKi build a ride that could sink into the ground. The reinforced Concrete footers, are probably located on bedrock for structural stability. Thinkabout it, if the ride were allowed to sink, one side could sink faster than the other, and could make the ride lean, which could have disaterous results.