1st Trip - and it was awesome!

Ride On_17

Living within a reasonable drive to Cedar Point, I go there as often as I can, but for some reason I've never gone to KI before. Don't ask why because I don't even know. Well, it turned out perfect since every fall my marching band has a big banquet with raffles. One of the raffle baskets last year included KI tickets and a hotel stay. And wouldn't you know it, I was the winner. So my mom, dad, and I left for the park early Thursday morning (6/27) and arrived at the park around 11 am.

First ride of the day was The Beast. My parents had been on it before but they hadn't been to the park in a long time, so they sort of forgot exactly what it was like. It was an awesome ride. It had a 45 minute wait, but I actually think it ended up being closer to a half hour. Not bad at all. It was fast, smooth, and I loved that it was built into the terrain and forest. My favorite part was the 2nd lift hill. It was deceiving, and since I was in the front row, I saw what was coming and didn't expect much. Once at the crest of the it all I saw was a turn and then slight incline. It didn't look too thrilling, but I was so wrong. You pick up so much speed as you clowly begin to go down that hill. By the time you enter the helix tunnel, you are really flying and I loved it! Plus I loved The Beast since it's such a long ride. Overall it's a million times better than Mean Streak at CP...

Next was Diamondback. This ride was way more intense than I thought. I sat in the last row, and the first drop caught me offguard. That had some crazy airtime, and I'd even compare it to El Toro. It had both extreme positive and negative G's, and the splashdown at the end is really cool. By the way, we only waited about 20 minutes to ride.

Then we went on the Backlot Stunt Coaster. It had a 30-45 minute wait, but I thought it was a fun little ride. The theming was sort of cool. Can you tell I'm used to the Point?

When we first got to the park it was cloudy and actually felt sort of cool, but by this time the sun had come out, and since it was humid we were starting to get pretty hot. We bought some fries, and we wanted to cool off and get lunch someplace air conditioned and got pizza in the Festhaus in the Oktoberfest area. While there we saw the show "Rock'n'Roll Never Forgets" and were impressed with the talent.

Next we went up on the Eiffel Tower. We spent a good amount of time up here checking out the 2014 construction site and just getting an idea of the layout of the park. Plus there was a nice breeze. After this we headed to The Racer. It was a walk on, and it sort of reminded me of the Blue Streak at CP, but I was surprised at how rough it was. Despite the roughness, I enjoyed it. I still love those classic coasters.

Next was Firehawk. I've been on B&M flyers (Superman clones) so I sort of knew what to expect, but I knew it would probably be a little different. If I'm correct, I believe this ride used to be at Geauga Lake under the name X-Flight? But I never went on it at GL so this was my 1st time on the ride. The line was about 45 minutes (maybe just a litte less) but it was worth it. You definitely felt more insecure than you do on the B&M flyers IMO, but it sort of made the ride even better due to this. The feeling that you were going to fall out added to the ride experience.

Then we went on Flight of Fear. The air conditioning felt really nice. I couldn't help to think of Disaster Transport, but I tried to keep an open mind. Yeah, I think the theming in the queue was pretty cheesy especially the video, but it was way better than DT could have ever been. The ride was pretty fun, but it was also pretty rough. You really get jerked around on this ride, but not as much as on The Racer.

Next was Adventure Express. I think I like Mine Ride at CP better, but it was still a fun ride. I appreciate the theming that was put into it, but the ending totally ruined the ride for me. Come on, a lift hill into the station. Really? I was all ready for more hills and turns, but to my dismay we were suddenly back to the station. Bummer.

Then we went on Drop Tower. Only waited 1 ride cycle, and I loved this ride, and I like it better than Power Tower. Sorry to keep comparing CP to KI but I can't help it haha. There was a concert going on in the amphitheater area, which I later found out was a Christian rock concert. Next was Invertigo after a 20-30 minute wait. It was a fun and somewhat disorienting ride.

We wanted to get back on Diamondback and Beast again, so we headed back for DB. Once again, it only had a 20 minute wait. Sat in the back row again and still I loved it. I think it might have become my favorite B&M coaster. Then after a half hour wait we rode The Beast, and I was in the front row again. Had another awesome ride.

By then we were ready for dinner and got some amazing turkey legs we saw earlier. They were delicious and the lady cooking them was really nice! Then we got an ice cream and headed toward International Street. I visited a gift shop and then we went outside to watch the fireworks. However, we were all disappointed. They only lasted maybe 3 minutes and were nothing special. I know they do this almost every night, but I feel like they need to be a little longer. I also think a show like Luminosity would make a great addition.

Overall I had an awesome 1st visit to KI. The thing I was most surprised with and most pleased with was the friendly staff. Every single staff member that day was kind and pleasant, a huge improvement over CP's staff. Plus the rides were really good too. No, there isn't the huge selection of massive coasters like CP, but the rides the park does have are very good. I can't wait to get back there again!

• Like 18

It's a close call between DB and The Beast. They're both completely different ride experiences so it's hard to choose. I love The Beast because of its speed, smoothness for a woodie, and the way its built through the terrain and forest, but I love DB for its forces and intensity. I guess I'd have to go with DB, but The Beast is a VERY close 2nd.

And I can't wait to get back soon. I really love the park and can't believe I've been missing out on it.

I'm glad you like the report; I tried to be as detailed as possible. It's fun recalling all the fun activities I did. And I'm just thankful to have parents who love roller coasters as much as I do! My dad isn't as crazy as my mom and I, but he still goes on them and has fun. I will always remember this trip, and I'm also thankful my mom took lots of cool pictures so I'll be able to look back years from now and still be able to relive this awesome time.

This site seems pretty fun, and especially as I continue to grow as a coaster enthusiast and KI visitor, I look forward to posting more here. Thanks for the welcome!

• Like 9

Excellent report, and welcome to KICentral!

Sounds like you had a wonderful first visit. I hope there are many more to come!

I wish I had parents who loved coasters as much as me. My dad won't ride anything; in fact, he refuses to go at all unless they offer a new, far cheaper admission option for non-riders (he became eligible for the senior price three days ago, but that's not enough of a discount for him), and that's highly unlikely to happen. My mom will go with me occasionally if I can get her in at a discount (we're going on July 15 using the coupon I got when FUN Perks was discontinued) and will ride some of the tamer rides like BLSC, The Racer, or small flats, but won't touch the bigger rides. Combine that with not having any siblings, and it makes for a lot of solo trips to the park (which I'm fine with).

• Like 1

Theme? Cedar Point? Is there something I am missing here?

Welcome to KIC! I'd say Beast in all honesty it broke an major record and it is truly an classic attraction.

When I said, "The theming was sort of cool. Can you tell I'm used to the Point?" I was trying to say that even though Backlot Stunt and AE don't have Disney-like theming, they have more than any ride at CP. I'm so used to having little to no theming on rides there that KI was a breath of fresh air!

• Like 2

Glad you had fun on your trip to Kings Island! If you go during the middle of the week again, expect the lines to be a little bit shorter. The park tends to get pretty busy when Spirit Fest (or whatever the Christian concert is called) is going on. Also, like Interpreter said make sure you ride The Beast at night, make it your last ride of the night! It's definitely an experience you won't forget!

• Like 2

Nice first visit. I will say I agree on alot. Only one is Drop Tower. I still have a soft spot for drop side of power tower, however the complete free fall to the ground is better than about 2/3'ds down and bouncing, but like I said it's a soft spot. She was my baby a bit of the season there :P.

Is it sad to stay I've still never ridden AE? :P

• Like 3

I still can't get over its ending. Going up the lift, all the theming, you start to drop down, and....you turn into the station. Maybe I'll eventually get used to it, but the ending does end the ride on a little bit of a sour note. I like my rides to end with a big finale, but the rest of the ride is fun.

• Like 1

As my good ole grandma said yesterday " I liked the train when there was more theme and shows."BB1, proud to think a veteran of going to KI feels my own dilemmas.

I'll add my two cents to this topic...well, ok, actually a bit more than that- first off, I noticed you did not ride Vortex or Flight Deck. When you come back, be sure to hit up both of these excellent Arrow Dyanmics roller coasters.

First up, Vortex: If the line looks long (is stretching out into the midway) it is still only a 25-minute wait max, because the ride has uber-capacity and there are not a bajillion hidden q-lines. I suggest riding from 5-1, which is the front row of the 5th car. I'd avoid back row though, as for me at least (5'11 200lbs) it is uber-cramped. :wacko: Also, ride a bit defensively- this ride is jerky. However, if you can take it, you will be rewarded with an intense looping coaster that is actually more than just inversions (first drop has great air, the turnaround after the drop is good for pacing, and the helix finale is intense). The ride type is basically the same as Cedar Point's Corkscrew, but Vortex is MUCH bigger.

Second up, Flight Deck: This Arrow Suspended Coaster (similar to Iron Dragon in model) is way off the beaten path right now, so many guests don't bother to head down and ride it. This is such a shame, because they are missing out on a fun, fast and furious coaster ride. Any comparison to Iron Dragon only stems from the type of coaster, Flight Deck is much faster and swings a lot harder. The main drawback is the ride is over only a minute or so after the lift hill. <_< I'd suggest front row, because the view is better, and on this type of coaster the near-misses are a huge "feature" and that's the best seat for them.

In addition to the Arrows, you also missed Invertigo. I have only ridden this one once myself, it's a good ride for what it is, but it usually gets huge wait times due to the fact it is a shuttle coaster and is so close to the park entrance. It's worth doing, though, if it is a 30-minute or less wait as the ride is very intense and has a unique seating style where you can see the fear in your friends/family/strangers faces. :P I've heard it can be rough, but my ride on it in 2010 was actually not too bad. Ignore this. I was dum. :P

Next, this one was pointed out already, but I shall rub it in: The Beast @ Night. Do it. Wait 2+ hours if you have to. It is worth it. Everything that made The Beast a great ride during the day is amplified, making something epic after dark. Also, for The Racer- try not to sit on a wheel (middle seats in each train) and go for the RED Racer, as I have found that side of the coaster to be very smooth while the Blue side, not so much...though I honestly have never had a problem with this ride's roughness in any shape or form.

As for Adventure Express' ending...I have never had an issue with it. I honestly see it as a joke pulled by the park and Arrow Dynamics, and it usually gives me a chuckle at the end of the ride. It needs a "Wa-Wa-Wa" sound effect, though! :P

Finally, great Trip Report. Glad you enjoyed your first- and hopefully not last- visit to Kings Island!

• Like 6

In addition to the Arrows, you also missed Invertigo. I have only ridden this one once myself, it's a good ride for what it is, but it usually gets huge wait times due to the fact it is a shuttle coaster and is so close to the park entrance. It's worth doing, though, if it is a 30-minute or less wait as the ride is very intense and has a unique seating style where you can see the fear in your friends/family/strangers faces. :P I've heard it can be rough, but my ride on it in 2010 was actually not too bad.

I actually said I went on Invertigo in my report, but that's ok :) I've never been on a boomerang coaster and I thought it was a lot of fun. I didn't think it was rough. No, it wasn't glass smooth but it wasn't bad at all. It's a fun ride.

As for Racer, I even went on the red side and found it extremely rough. It's still a fun ride though.

And I'll definitely have to go on The Beast at night. It sounds really awesome.

When we went by Vortex to go on it, it had shut down and we just never ended back up in that part of the park. I'll have to try that and Flight Deck next time.

^
Oops! So sorry about the Invertigo bit, I missed that part apparently.. Silly me. :wacko:

As for Racer, I just don't know...from what I've heard, that ride can be "moody" when it comes to the ride experience it gives. I have yet to have a bad ride on it at all, but I have heard stories of it running badly as far as both roughness and airtime are concerned (aka very rough with little to no airtime) and yet it can also dish out very smooth rides packed with good airtime (I have had one of these before, from the front seat of the Red Racer, first ride of the day on my only trip in 2012- it was actually the smoothest ride I have ever had on a wooden coaster). Then again, this is also true for most wooden coasters- they are notorious for often being super smooth and fun one day, then suddenly going rotten, and vise versa- though some are worse than others at this...

^
I didn't mean literally...that would be horrible if that ever did happen. If all the wood in a wooden coaster ever went rotten at the same time, we are talking collapse...and injured/dead riders, who likely have families who will sue whatever park the ride was in...and even larger parks like Kings Island would likely be killed off by such a disaster. :wacko:

FYI, I meant rotten as in giving poor ride quality, aka a rougher-than-usual or less-fun-than-usual ride...which wooden coasters can do...

Though wood does go bad on wooden coasters, actually somewhat regularly...it is not uncommon to go to Kings Island and when looking at Racer or Beast, to find "fresh new wood" supports or even track that obviously was not there a few weeks or even days earlier. On Racer, it can be very easy to see if they don't paint it...wooden coasters need constant upkeep, or else. But the benefit of this is they can almost always be fixed somewhat easily, and hence the 100+ year lifespans for popular wooden coasters. ;)