Tweetups

malem

The latest craze in the Twitter world is joining a "tweetup". That is, a meet-up via Twitter. Tony Clark from Cedar Point and Don Helbig from Kings Island have jumped on this, offering special treats to Twitter followers who participate. Prizes so far have included front-of-line access at CP and tours of The Beast at KI.

Clues are posted in advance, with the exact time and location revealed just before the meet-up time. The number of winners is limited, so you must pay attention and be quick to follow instructions. To be eligible, you must be following @KingsIslandPR (or @TonyClarkCP, for CP) on Twitter. You must be ready to show the tweet on a mobile device.

This morning, Don hinted via Twitter that there will be another tweetup today:

Planning a visit to #KingsIsland today? You'll want to check your device for clues on where to find me later today.

If you're at the park today and are carrying a mobile device, show up and represent KICentral!

• Like 1

I was at Cedar Point when Tony did one for Raptor, I was in line for Blue Streak and by the time I made it there all spots were taken. It would have been nice too since that was the only coaster I didn't ride that day because of its 1.5 hour wait..

Every time Don has done one I'm unable to get to the park..

Sounds cool, yet not cool enough to make me join Twitter.

You don't have to provide personal information or give up your privacy. Just make up a username and provide a working e-mail address. It isn't Face Book.

You don't even need an account to view "tweets". If you want to participate, you'll want an account so that you can reply or prove that you're a "follower". If you only have to show the tweet, you don't need an account at all for that particular "tweetup".

As for viewing "tweets", you can:

I'll be there! Hopefully I can figure out the clues :)

If you can't, I'm sure someone here can help!

• Like 1

At least at some point in the past year and a half, you could have Twitter text tweets from any account to any phone, whether smart or otherwise. You could also tweet via texts. I won a WindSeeker cup from the KI Twitter once doing this. Does Twitter not do this anymore?

• Like 1

At least at some point in the past year and a half, you could have Twitter text tweets from any account to any phone, whether smart or otherwise. You could also tweet via texts. I won a WindSeeker cup from the KI Twitter once doing this. Does Twitter not do this anymore?

Not everyone pays for unlimited texting.

This seems like a good idea. I'd love to participate. :P

Yes, they do. Just hunted around on the Twitter website and found it.

Sounds cool, yet not cool enough to make me join Twitter.

You don't have to provide personal information or give up your privacy. Just make up a username and provide a working e-mail address. It isn't Face Book.

You don't even need an account to view "tweets". If you want to participate, you'll want an account so that you can reply or prove that you're a "follower". If you only have to show the tweet, you don't need an account at all for that particular "tweetup".

As for viewing "tweets", you can:

I'll be there! Hopefully I can figure out the clues :)

If you can't, I'm sure someone here can help!

I have an FB account and that is enough for me. I'm not that interested in people to have to keep constant tabs on them ;)

I was at the park today and I was a winner. I walked in right behind the two younger people that were together. Don was very nice and took our picture in front of the Ed Alonzo stage.

I was one of those two younger people, with my girlfriend :) Details will be in my trip report for today!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The prime rib was excellent!

Very rare, but superb! I particularly enjoyed the halibut tacos and that dessert selection. I'd love more of those at the park, at (almost) any price.

The food was internal to KI rather than from an outside caterer, according to the event staff. This gives me very high hopes for the future of FUN food. They definitely have some talent!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Bumping this, as there will apparently be a tweet-up at Kings Island on Saturday:

Via Twitter: https://twitter.com/KingsIslandPR/status/469137446794698752

Our followers visiting the park this Saturday will have a chance to win a behind-the-scenes tour of The Beast. #KIBestDay

If you're at the park Saturday, make sure to follow @KingsIslandPR on Twitter and pay attention to the tweet-up instructions when posted. There are usually a limited number of winners, so it's important to be quick!

If you win a behind-the-scenes tour, (of course) make sure to follow all instructions. Stay with the group, don't touch things you aren't supposed to touch, etc.

• Like 4

^ They can happen at any time.

And usually with little or no warning. Don't expect to know about a tweetup the night before. On Banshee announcement day last year, we learned about the tweetup around 3:30 or 3:45 pm and were winners by 4:15.

• Like 2