Going alone to Kings Island

TeTe27

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Yeah I have to agree with the Interpreter...Since I have turned 33 I have had this "whatever" attitude about what other people think. So with that in mind, I think I will go before the season is up. I'm not going to let myself not go just because someone bailed on me or make my husband go and waste money because he won't ride ANYTHING. Thanks again!

• Like 10

I haven't taken a completely solo trip to a park before, but there are plenty of times when I have to break off from whatever company I'm with if they don't want to ride some of the bigger coasters. So I'm used to riding alone for about half the day. I always prefer riding with friends/family, especially because it makes the wait in line more bearable and is generally more fun with more people, but if I want to ride something bad enough, I don't mind going alone. I have found it's easier to really kind of 'zone out' and enjoy the ride more alone, too.

• Like 4

I have never went to the park by myself, but I did ride coasters by myself for about 5 or 6 years because none of my family wanted to ride with me until one day my brother, sister, and dad all jumped in line with me on Batman Knight Flight at Geauga Lake. Now they ride with me all the time. I met a lot of friends while in line by myself.

• Like 4

Like other members have said, waiting in line alone can be either the worst thing ever or the best thing ever, depending on what you make of it.

I recall waiting in line for two hours for Flight of Fear alone twice. The first time I kept to myself and didn't talk to anyone, and by the time I got to the station I was so bored I tried counting the number of people in line.

Thesecond time, I ended up striking up a conversation with some very nice people in front of me, and by the time I got to the station I kinda wanted to follow these people around for the rest of the day.

The one thing I've learned about going to a park alone is that there's no reason why my being shy should get in the way of having a good time, and so I don't let it.

• Like 8

I've been to the park alone on numerous occasions with this season being no exception. I don't prefer one way over the other honestly, I'm okay with being alone or going with friends/family.Although I will say that it's pretty fun to be alone because you can meet new people, not just some, but lots of new people and its a very unique experience. Another thing you're able to do when alone at the park is meet new people while standing in line, It never hurts to start a little conversation and get to know someone new, you can get to know someone quite a bit in the 30 min. to 120 min. that your in the line.

• Like 5

When it's just my mom and I, I go alone on the rides because my mom's not the biggest fan of the rides I ride. This is the style of the majority of my trips - and I, meanwhile, have discovered all the freedoms of being a single rider, such as choosing my own order of rides, riding some rides (Flight Deck, WindSeeker, Diamondback and Vortex, for me) as many times as I want, and stopping for as long as I want to take pictures (like in front of Vortex). I've met and talked with some nice people while waiting for rides like Zephyr, Vortex, WindSeeker, and Diamondback just to name a few.

Although I just LOVE all the freedom a single rider has, it does not hurt to go with a group once in a while. :) In my opinion, I have a slight preference of being a single rider over being in a group, probably because I'm so used to riding solo now.

• Like 5

I have never been to a park by myself but have been on rides alone before. I like to share that time with whoever I'm with, usually my wife, but sometimes its my friend or my little cousins. I enjoy spending time with them but also have found that riding alone isn't as bad as most people would assume (I used to think that it was "bad" or "not fun" as well. Then I rode TTD by myself during coastermania about 6 times in a row then 2 times the next day without my wife because she doesn't like the ride. I stood in line and talked to some people and actually had a good time talking with complete strangers. I rode with some random mom and it had to be one of the more fun rides of the day. I also have been on DB by myself while my wife took her cousins through the kiddie rides during the last 30 minutes of the night, and met some awesome coaster nuts that I ended up marathoning for the last bit of the night. I think if you are by yourself you can still have a great time through meeting and talking to random people in line. Also like others said you aren't held to anyone else's schedule. You can do whatever you like!

Also with what Terp said being the only person on a train has to be a cool thing to do. I think Zen rides could be a very fun and unique experience!

• Like 6

^For that matter, there was one evening (Sunday, September 26, 2010) when I had a whole train on Vortex to myself not once, but twice. And that included the last train of the evening, so it was a no brainer that I was the last Vortex rider of that day! :lol:

That, so far, has been one of two times when I've had the whole train/ride to myself on any ride; the other time was on August 14 this year when I was the only rider on WindSeeker's first cycle of the day (and let me tell you, it was REALLY cool being 301 feet in the air all by myself!).

Edited by VortexBFForever
  • Like 3

Also with what Terp said being the only person on a train has to be a cool thing to do.

Once I was the only one on the train on Adventure Express AT NIGHT!

It was pretty cool but also a little scary because I was 8 when I did this.

Having the train all to your self is fun> I have had Batman Knight Flight, Big Dipper, and Superman at Geauga Lake all by myself in the same day. Batman Knight Flight it was the last train of the day so it was awesome.

• Like 2

The older I get the less self-conscious I am about what people think. It is my money and my time and, therefore, it is no one's business as to how I spend my money and my time whether I choose to spend it with friends or alone.

• Like 10

The only ride I've ever been on by myself is Zephyr, but I've been to Kings Island by myself a ton of times. It's not nearly as lonely as you'd think. It's the only way I can take a camera with me and feel free to take as many pictures as I'd like, as anyone I go with would much rather ride rides.

• Like 6

I go to the park often alone. Although I really enjoy going single, I would much rather visit with someone. Just nice to have someone to talk to and someone to sit with. I love to "road trip" and I often cant seem to find someone to go along with me, but I would much rather go alone than not go at all! ;)

If you would like someone to go with just let me know.

• Like 4

Most of my recent trips have been spur-of-the-moment and alone, though I usually end up meeting others in line. When I tried it the first time, I was surprised at how many other single riders ventured to the park.

When accompanying family, for free parking/bring-a-friend, they didn't want to do anything more thrilling than the log flume. I suppose jcgoble3 would have had me buy them skycoaster tickets.

If you would like someone to go with just let me know.

I've run into members from this site every time I've visited KI this year, albeit two of the trips were specifically for meet-ups/events. Having a T-shirt that reads "KICentral" helps.

For the best chance of success, post in the meet-ups forum in advance, or attend an already-planned meet-up.

• Like 6

Just wondered if anyone has been to Kings Island alone and the experience they've had. Seems like the older I get the more my friends lose interest in going and my husband HATES amusement parks and never goes. I'm not sure when I'm going to go but I may end up going alone. So I was just curious to what people thought.

I've gone many a time alone so many parks. Its pretty fun, especially if you're outgoing. The more outgoing you are the better it can be. Talking to strangers in the line can make for some interesting days. Plus when they are looking for single riders, you've got the golden ticket.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I love doing things by myself. I am a natural introvert and when my husband joined the military I learned really quickly that amusement parks and dining out are almost more enjoyable alone. The ability to people watch or rest whenever I want is the biggest thing I get out of going to KI (or previously Elitch) alone. Honestly, "lonely" experiences can be empowering.

• Like 6