Changes for 2003!

matt3224

• 2 weeks later...

Changing stuff is just pointless though. It costs alot more money that PKI is going to want to spend. I think the lights should be replaced on all the rides (1,000-2,000 dollars probably) and the rides/buildings should be repainted. A lot more people are going to have to walk through there in 2004 if what we've heard is right smile.gif.

Paint is not the fix-all for PKI. Everyone says that the park needs paint. Well I hate to be the spolier, but there are parts of the park that need a heck of a lot more than just "paint." PKi needs to really look at some things that are starting to look dilapidated and give them a fresh new look. I don;t care if they add alumin, or restore the wood work, or clad everything with some PVC stuff, just so that it looks good. There are places where rotting and water soaked wood is showing up and really detracting from the overall beauty of the park. I think coney mall needs a total facelift with some major redoing of buildings, and add some retro looks and some neon lights, redo some ride signs and other things, and the place will look great. I think PKi shoud be interested in doing things like this at least every 10 years or so, to keep the park looking nice. It may cost money, but will keep the aprk in good shape

You are very right fyrfyter. All that stuff building wise in Coney Mall is original and starting to show it. They need to re-build/remodel each building and ride areas to make them look brighter and better. Its a proven thing that bright colors make people happy which means more people will return (hence the reason Action Zone is red, yellow, blue and white). I would love to see some neon signs and things making the area look more retro or more like its was from the 50-70's since it was modeled after old Coney.

Though what I think would be really good is to move that candy/merch shop right at the entrance someplace else. Its good that its there for traffic into and out of the shop, but from Oktoberfest area it makes it look like nothing is back in Coney Mall cause its all hiding behind that building. With that building either moved back or removed people would see in and think "wow this is a nice looking area" and some people might even reminese (spelling) about being at old Coney.

Then another thing, I would love to see that stupid Dip'n'Dot cart moved. I hate it just being right there in the middle. While they are busy they pack that thing with a "Coke Caddy" for all the contour pop bottles and that thing leaks water as the ice melts, which then runs down across the entrance and into the drain by the basketball game. Just makes the area look unappealing. Move it off to the side and do like they did with other cart locations, actually give it its own cement landing with a drain and the likes so it looks like it fits in with everything, like it is supposed to be there rather than just plopped in the middle of the path.

I could go on but you all get my point. Hopefully.

I agree with fyrfyter and beastfreak that PKI needs to update the Coney Mall area. That's what I was trying to say before. They don't need to retheme everything like they did with Action Zone but they could just make it look better. Sure it would cost money but PKI has enough money, right? Somethings just need to be done just like the fixing of the fountains. I just hope PKI follows in that direction.

Hardly any carts have their own cement landing, and not a one i worked at had a drain... Only 1 even had its own garbage can. And the caddie shouldn't be draining throughout the day, because if there is water in there, the pop is going to stay cooler then if it just sits on ice... there is runoff, i know that, but... Carts do need more permanant placement, thereby defeating the word cart, but... I do agree that the water and stuff looks bad, along with the way some of the carts are placed.

Bob you may not know but you've probably seen me before. I've probably covered a shift for one of your supervisors. I know how the Coke caddies work with the water, too bad they are all beat up and most of them do leak. I see it everyday when walking around the park. I have complained about the appearance and I know some other people higher up have too since a lot of what we do is based off first impressions. Very slowly some of the carts are starting to get their own "cement platforms" leveling off the ground to keep the drainage away from the middle of the walkways. Though they don't want to put them everywhere because like you said, they are carts and are supposed to be portable. Though its too bad most really aren't, since they have to be near an electric outlet and some have to be at a water hook up for pop (or for the luxiurious dip'n'dot carts that have sinks) So those larger carts (the dip'n'dot carts) should be in their own little platform everything else is fine.

I do agree with you on the carts. I do like the placing of the candy shop, kind of like Lesourdsville Lake the first thing is a gift shop. Anyways, Coney Mall could use some renovation, but I really don't think they are going to pay to have it fixed right now, I think that the Coke shack and gift shop in Rivertown rennovation was somewhere around 500,000 bucks which is alot.

500,000 is pocket change, if we look at how many millions PKI spends on rides each year. I mean come on, spend one season not putting anything huge in, and renovate the coney mall area. I have this excellent vision for coney mall that would give it an updated yet retro look. The archway entrance needs neon curisve lights in red, spelling out Coney Mall, with an underline beneath it. Coney mall also needs to have some tro style streetlights lining down the middle of it, evenly spaced and providng some good light. Coney Mall's buildings, need to be white with a splash of color. They should also have a molding aorund the top with some neon light aorund each building. Red light would be very good, as would other colors. Use of fiber optical lighting owuld really bekewl on some of the building fronts and either that or some neon to replace those old painted signs on the rides. You can have things look retro and updated at the same time. What does everyone else think Coney Mall needs in the future? I want to hear some more specific thoughts from everyone else.

The archway entrance needs neon curisve lights in red, spelling out Coney Mall, with an underline beneath it. Coney mall also needs to have some tro style streetlights lining down the middle of it, evenly spaced and providng some good light. Coney Mall's buildings, need to be white with a splash of color. They should also have a molding aorund the top with some neon light aorund each building. Red light would be very good, as would other colors. Use of fiber optical lighting owuld really bekewl on some of the building fronts and either that or some neon to replace those old painted signs on the rides.

Well, i don't have any thoughts myself.... but if i had it hopefully would look like what you described. Did you take a long time to think of that one...? Great Design....

I don;t think so. HBl and Nickelodeon look tacky with all the birght colors and crazy stuff, but it is meant to be that way to draw attention to it, and draw people there as well. Coney Mall already looks tacky. Most buidlings seem to be in some stage of well used or disrepair. The signs for the rides are painted, but the paint has faded with time and last seaosn things were beginning to look junky. I would guess at least half of the light bulbs in Coney Mall on everything from rides to buildings do not work, or are burned out, and need to be replaced. It would be easier and better looking to just get rid of the old lights and bring in some new ones, with newer technology that will last a little longer, and wear a little better. Millions or not, it would look good when finished, and if the park wanted Coney Mall to be filled like AZ is everyday, then they should at least be thinking of this as a future goal. I never said it all had to be done at once, but they could do a little bit each year over say like 2-4 seasons, and in the end things would look awesome. There is nothing tacky about giving an area of the park a face lift. Its something that is expected to happen with time and age.

I think I would pay to see someone singing in line, that would make my day. I used to bring a CD player when I'd go alone, but since I don't go alone anymore there is no need. I think the videos really need to be changed. The videos are just pathetic. I bet when Coney Mall gets a new coaster, than PKI will give it some attention, but as I said I have never seen anything wrong with CM.

That sounds very cool to me the park would have to put a lot of money into it and they can definately do it. The park will do great on attendence and make Coney Mall look great when they are able to put more into themeing the area out.We will have to wait and see if they decide to do it for 2004 or just wait. biggrin.gifcool.gif

Another option to keep Coney Mall with the retro yet updated look, could be through the use of multiple lighting elements inclduing perhaps fiber optics. You can use single strands of fiber optics to produce a starrry effect, which would be cool on some of the buildings at night. You can also use these optics for different signs and such, making them look better, without using bulbs, and neon, but still have colors, and made of a material that will last a long time.

On the subject of Coney Mall, there are a few things they could do to make the place feel upbeat. Paint, as suggested before would be welcome to Coney Mall. But perhaps what Coney Mall needs more is more flat rides. Not the multimillion dollar attractions seen lately, but regular flat rides, They don't have to be old. But they would do one thing that would help out Coney Mall-- they would be exciting. New rides would cause incite feelings in the public that the rides that they are so used to seeing do not. The new flat rides would make Coney Mall look more modern, while keeping the all of the old time aspects of Coney there.

Nitpicking, Skeeball looked so bare without the Kareoke machines on its outside, it looked like a nondescript white box (or whatever color it was, I don't know I worked in WaterWorks). Doing something to the outside of Skeeball that gave it feeling would make me happy. Just do not keep it blank. Old carnival posters would look cool. And the store at the entrance to Coney probably will not be going anywhere anytime soon. Even though the building itself is so, so ugly, the store was completely redone in 2002, with new tiling, paint, fixtures, concept and a name change-- Fudge n' Fun. I don't think Merch would really want their new store to go away.