The Next Cedar Point Coaster

I think there are two good locations that are available for a dark ride.

I think they could utilize the old ball room, or use the old pirate ride building. Maybe in the area of the dorms close to where Wildcat used to stand. (If they really are tearing them down)

• Like 1

I think there's a good chance for a dark ride in 2014, if not, defiantly 2015. As TTD said, I'd expect it in the old Pirate Ride building or the Ball Room. I'm leaning towards the latter because they could really incorporate that with either Planet Snoopy or Kiddy Kingdom. Although I think it'll all become one big Planet Snoopy in the next couple years anyway.

^^ NO. Please. I'm still trying to get over Namtab: The Vominator at SFGAm.

I'm curious to know how CP would do a dark ride these days. The only IP they currently (license? rent?) is Peanuts, which doesn't really lend itself to any dark ride ideas I can think of. Maybe one of the ride ideas from Sally?

I totally agree with Terpy! One thing that I have wondered about since I spent a lot of time at Indiana Beach as a kid, (who has a lot of the rides over water.) Does CP have the ability to build over top the lake? If they could, would they?

Since Lake Erie adjacent to Cedar Point's shore is navigable waters of the United States up to the ordinary high water mark, there would be permits required...permits not likely to be granted nowadays.

Terp, who is not engaged in the private practice of law in Ohio, the District of Columbia, or any United State. Consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction if you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. Results may vary in different bodies of water.

Being a great lake, I did not figure that would happen otherwise we would have already seen a ride over the water!

Just wondering, since they had rides in the lake before, the old swings that "inspired" WindSeeker were in the lake, as well as slides, don't the have ownership of certain areas around the peninsula?

Sandusky's airport is for sale - would make a good parking lot. Build a monorail - Mr. Q. knows what those are, Then construct a nice wooden coaster and other rides in the current parking lot, making sure there is proper water drainage. Of course, this new construction may block Mr. K's view of the park from his current residence, but then again, he may not live there forever. Also, the Dinos don't have to be a permanent thing and neither do some of the other rides, as proven by the Wildcat, Space Spiral, Disaster Transport, and Paddle Wheel Excursions.

Just wondering, since they had rides in the lake before, the old swings that "inspired" WindSeeker were in the lake, as well as slides, don't the have ownership of certain areas around the peninsula?

Since Lake Erie is a navigable watercourse of the United States, the Federal Government has the dominant power within the bounds of the servitude, which extends to the ordinary high water mark, to allow, operate and improve navigation; to repair and rehabilitate structures and shores associated therewith and to prevent and/or alter or remove impediments to navigation, regardless of land ownership. This is a power, called the navigation servitude, under the Commerce Clause of the United States Constitution.

Doing anything in the servitude that could affect navigation requires certain permits. As I said earlier, these days those permits are subject to greater scrutiny than they once were.

To contrast, Lake Shafer at Indiana Beach is not considered to be a navigable water of the United States.

Terp, who is not engaged in the private practice of law in Ohio, the District of Columbia, Indiana or any United State. Consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction if you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. Results vary in different bodies of water, but all of it is wet.

Wait, Cedar Point may be getting a dark ride?

What is the meaning of this blasphemy?

But seriously, considering they don't have Disney Imagineers working at Cedar Point and they can't go back in time and buy a Pretzel/Bill Tracy, I don't have high hopes.

I think it could actually be pulled off. With Ouimet's experience, I highly doubt he would accept something not very well done. If CP gets a dark ride, I wouldn't expect it to be in the same field as Universal or Disney, but I think it would be better than what some people think. I think it would be cool if the park brings back Earthquake or Pirate Ride using modern technology. I'm too young to have ever gone on these rides but I heard they were cool. I'd love to have a modern day versions of one of them. Or maybe something along the lines of Snoopy-Red Baron/Peanuts, especially if it will be in the ballroom right next to Planet Snoopy. You would board in Red Baron "airplanes" and it could either be an arcade style dark ride or a simulator. There would be in-flight chase scenes and also scenes involving all the Peanuts characters.

• Like 3

^Because if this was on PB, everyone would be saying, "But GK just opened!" and "I don't see any proof of a dark ride!" I remember a while ago there was a good discussion in a thread about possible dark rides, but it sort of died off. Maybe dark ride speculation will spike again on PB if some actual concrete evidence comes in, not just stuff on Screamscape.

• Like 2