First trip to Kings Island

Cedar Point Gal

My sister and I are taking our first trip to Kings Island July 26-29. Having never been there before we would like some advice on the park and what to ride first. Are there rides we should avoid early or late in the day? We are planning on getting Fast Lane Plus passes for maybe Saturday and Sunday or would only one day be advisable? What are the best places to stop for lunch/dinner and should we consider eating somewhere outside the park?

Also I bought one of the refillable Gatekeeper bottles on my first visit to Cedar Point, will I be able to use it at Kings Island, or will I have to buy a new one? And one last question, which rides have on-ride photos?(I'm only asking because I want to buy them and I'd like to know how much money I need to set aside to buy photos and maybe a few shirts.) Thanks in advance. :)

• Like 2

Welcome to the forums Cedar Point Gal!

What are the best places to stop for lunch/dinner and should we consider eating somewhere outside the park?

If you are looking to save money, pack a lunch. You can bring it into the park or choose to go out to your car to eat if you want. (that's what my family does)

If you don't care about spending money LaRosa's and Skyline are pretty good. There are LaRosa's on the right side of International street, in the left side of the Festhaus in Oktoberfest, and in Rivertown by Beast. Skyline is in Coney Mall and on the left side of International Street as you enter. Also there is a Chick-fil-a in the entrance to Planet Snoopy if you like that.

Also I bought one of the refillable Gatekeeper bottles on my first visit to Cedar Point, will I be able to use it at Kings Island, or will I have to buy a new one?

No, unfortunately the Cedar Point bottles only work there but Kings Island has their own at the front of the park to buy.

And one last question, which rides have on-ride photos?

Diamondback, Beast, Flight of Fear, Woodstock Express, Vortex, Firehawk, Great Pumpkin Coaster, and Boo Blasters on boo hill.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
DBI

• Like 3

All coasters have onride photos except for Surf Dog, Flying Ace Ariel Chase, Racer, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Invertigo, Flight Deck, Adventure Express and Racer.

So you wanted to visit to the Island did you? Well go ahead ;)

But seriously, you picked a great choice to want to visit KI. As you drive down I-71, you will see nothing but fields until you pass a water park called The Beach. Then BAM! Past the fields and the trees lies Kings Island, the largest Amusement/water park in the Midwest. You see a humongous green tower as well as a colorful coaster/ tower skyline that is priceless.

I recommend going up into the Eiffel Tower after your picture in front of the fountains. At 1/3rd the scale of the actual tower in Paris, it gives you a full view of what Kings Island has to offer. I recommend the Reds Hall of Fame Grille, the newest restaurant right next to Diamondback. Outside the park is just a Bob Evans, a skyline and just some ordinary restaurants. Oh and you have to try some blue Ice Cream.

KI's coasters in a nutshell

• The Beast- World's longest wooden roller coaster and is probably one of the best
  • Diamondback- tallest, fastest, and meanest coaster at KI (love that ride)
  • Flight of Fear- its inside, its extraterrestrial, but it's not like Disaster Transport in any other way
  • Firehawk- board a coaster that lets you fly
  • Racer- The ride that created a new era of coasters
  • Vortex- like Corkscrew on steroids
  • Adventure Express- a really great mine ride with a surprise at the end
  • Flight Deck- similar to Iron Dragon but still is fun, (if you mind the walk ;) )
  • Invertigo- it's right next to the front gate and is a must ride coaster
  • Backlot Stunt Coaster- ride in a mini cooper simulating a stunt ride
  • Flying Ace Ariel Chase- Kid's inverted coaster
  • Great Pumpkin coaster- the smallest and most kid-friendly coaster at KI
  • Woodstock Express- a mini wooden coaster
  • Surfdog- you surf along a very unique coaster

Cedar Point cups? Nope sorry

Edited by SonofBaconator
  • Like 2

^It should be noted Adventure Express does not have an on-ride photo as well.

As for Fast Lane/no Fast Lane, if you are not planning to visit the park soon after, go for Fast Lane because both days will be packed and you might not get a chance to experience everything in one day, especially a Saturday. However, make sure you wait until you get to the park and do this because the park might be dead due to weather or other factors, eliminating the need for a Fast Lane.

• Like 4

Thanks SonofBaconator. Yes, we decided to visit the Island for the first time. It's the first time that we've had the opportunity to visit KI and had Platinum Passes so we could come. Thanks also for the food recommendation and the coaster rundowns, it's very helpful.

Thanks TheCrypt. This might be our only opportunity to come to KI this season which was kind of why I was asking about Fast Lane.

Thanks The Interpeter. I was planning on getting Fast Lane Plus for the access to Diamondback and Beast. I already knew about the $10 extra for plus because Cedar Point also has Fast Lane Plus.(It includes Dragster and Gatekeeper.0

• Like 2

And if you do do Fast Lane, pony up $10 more for Plus. Otherwise, Diamondback and Beast are not included.

I think you mean Firehawk

and Beast.

Indeed. I felt some uneasiness as I typed that. Goes back to edit.

Thanks!

Also don't forget Platinum (and KI Gold) Passes get you into the park 30 minutes before park opening for Dismondback and Beast (there's that combination) ERT.

• Like 3

Are there rides we should avoid early or late in the day?

I can give some advice on this, though some of it comes straight from the park- if you don't have Fast Lane or FL+, I would strongly avoid Diamondback & The Beast during the AM Hours, as they are the 2 biggest draws in the park and thus everyone rushes to them in the morning- plus lines may have already built up for the stated ERT. I'd wait until later on in the day for these two, when the crowds have spread out more.

Instead, I suggest heading under The Racer and going into X-Base for Firehawk and Flight of Fear. These rides are not as high capacity as the others (Firehawk has uber-slow load times and Flight of Fear's trains only have 5 2-row cars, according to rcdb.com) and should be hit up as early in the morning as possible to avoid their massive lines (1 hour+ is not rare) later in the day.

Next up- some rides that will probably have short lines- Vortex's line may often look long, but the ride is so high capacity and doesn't have many "hidden" q-lines so it moves very fast and you're usually riding within 20-25 minutes. Adventure Express is the same way, often with an even shorter line. Racer is an older wooden coaster and has lost a good chunk of its popularity to newer rides over the years, but the fact it is really 2 coasters in one makes it the highest capacity coaster in the park, if both sides are running at least. Flight Deck is so far out of the way that many don't bother to ride it, resulting in short lines, but even if a lot of people head down there it has good capacity in spite of only running 2 trains, so it can handle crowds pretty well. Diamondback and The Beast also have great capacity, but these rides are so popular that this is often negated by the sheer crowds that come to them. As for the other adult coasters (Backlot Stunt Coaster, Invertigo, and the previously mentioned Firehawk & Flight of Fear)...ehehe...you're going to have to wait, or get Fast Lane, their capacity stinks compared to the other coasters.

And one final tip- when the sun goes down and the lights come on, head to Rivertown and get in line for The Beast. It will probably have a 1+ hour wait, at least, if you don't have Fast Lane...but the ride you get at the end is totally worth it. B)

• Like 4

Also I bought one of the refillable Gatekeeper bottles on my first visit to Cedar Point, will I be able to use it at Kings Island, or will I have to buy a new one?

No, unfortunately the Cedar Point bottles only work there but Kings Island has their own at the front of the park to buy.

Actually, I've heard that the refillable cups are able to be used at any Cedar Fair Park: http://pointbuzz.com/Forums/Thread/29665.aspx

I was asking because I have larger hips and Blue Steak and Mean Streak are a bit of a tight fit with the divided seat, so I was wondering if I might have the same issue on any of the rides at Kings Island when I visit. I do fit on Mean Streak and Blue Streak, but it's a bit tight and I often have trouble with the seat belt if I don't remember to pull the seat belt before I sit down.

Be aware the restraints at Kings Island seem lower than those at Cedar Point. Put another way, the required two clicks leaves less room under the bar at Kings Island than it does at Cedar Point.

And on Flight of Fear, the rear seats of cars are roomier than the front. On Vortex and Flight Deck, it's the opposite, the front seats of cars are roomier than the back. Note I am talking about cars, not of the whole train.

Thanks for that info. I'm pretty sure I'll have no issues getting on everything. I have very few issues with the rides at Cedar Point, I only have minor issues with Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, and Wicked Twister. Dragster and Millennium only give me issues because the seat belts are kind of short, and Wicked Twister gives me problems because I have bigger shoulders and I'm big in the chest.(That's one of the only parts of being female that suck.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have one more question I'd like to ask before Friday. I read on another site that some park guests will say nasty things/give the evil eye when you're using Fast Lane/Plus. Is this true? I've had a few people give me a dirty look when I was using the system at Cedar Point, but most people I've run into there mostly ask if the pass is worth it. I'm not one to 'abuse' the pass, so to speak. I'll ride something once with the pass and then move onto something else before coming back to a ride. Thanks again for all your advice it's been very helpful.

^Yes, that could be true. There are some people who love the system (myself included) especially since it's great for people who rarely visit the park. It gives them the opportunity to be sure to ride everything they want in a limited amount of time. But there are always some people who don't think of it this way and instead only view it as "hey, they're cutting me." Some people might ask you where you get it as you walk by them, others will say nothing, and still there are others that might give you dirty looks. Just don't pay attention to them and ignore them. With everything in life, if you're willing to pay more, the result will be a better experience. If you want front row seats at a concert or game, you'll have to pay more. If you want 1st class when flying you'll have to pay more. It's just that some people are selfish and can't see the big picture of why Fast Lane exists. If you were only at the park for 1 day, and didn't know when your next visit might be, don't you think it would be worth it to spend a little more in order to have quicker access to the rides? The thing about Fast Lane is that if you have it, you love it but if you don't have it, you hate it. So if you encounter some negative people, just ignore them and keep on going. They're just jealous that you have a privilege that they don't have. Fast Lane is a great way to be sure you get on what you want, so don't let other people bother you and have an awesome trip!

• Like 3

^Thanks Ride On_17. I know some people don't like the system, but I do. When my sister and I arrive at the park on Friday, we won't be getting Fast Lane, and we'll wait in line just like everyone else, but Saturday and maybe Sunday we're getting the passes because we want to make the most of our time on those two days because this will be our only trip to Kings Island this year. I don't usually let those who give me dirty looks when using Fast Lane bother me, I just walk on by and shrug it off. I will have an awsome trip and will have a photo trip report when I get back.

• Like 4