How accurate are the wait time signs?

CharleyTheDinosaur

Take it from someone who occasionally works rides like Beast and Diamondback - when I'm in the greet position, I tend to sort of "eye" the line and update accordingly. Accurate? Somewhat. For instance, working greet at Beast, I always eye the Q inside the station before leaving for the greeter post and then I eye the lower Q's. From that, I can estimate the wait and update the sign. Generally, in the 45 minutes you are stationed there, the line changes very little - so on rides staffed by greeters (and not all greeters care or even update the signs) it can be pretty accurate.

That is why I always suggest asking the greeter, simply, "is the wait time accurate". Sometimes they just don't think about updating the sign. Even though I always feel like saying "look at the sign!!!" when someone asks me that, I know that - deep down - I would do the same.

• Like 4

It was a very crowded day.

Racers was coming out of the queue, Diamondback had an hour wait, i waited 30 minutes before the ride shut down for a half an hour. we ditched the line and cane back and it was still an hour wait (which we voided by winning a "Front Of The Line" passes on the Wheel of Fortune!)

• Like 3

Cedar Point was the same way yesterday, both for Ride Hopper and real life. Gatekeeper had a 95 minute wait around noon according to Ride Hopper, but I waited 180 for it.

Thing is, guys: it's community-driven. Parks submit nothing to that app. Those estimated wait times wouldn't "suck" if you took time to submit what the actual wait was. The only way Ride Hopper knows what to estimate is what it knows from the past. That's why some bigger parks like Cedar Point, Kings Island, and Six Flags Great America have estimated wait times, while smaller parks like Holiday World or Six Flags St. Louis don't even have their operating hours listed. Take some time to update what your waits were, and you'll have more accurate data to use as reference in the future.

(Now's one of those times when I miss WhenToRide.com.)

• Like 1

You can show me all the signs, apps, and greeters you want. In the end, when it comes to determining wait times, there is no substitute for your own experience and judgment. I trust nothing else.

Even wait time signs at Disney World have been way off in my experience. Some examples: Soarin' said 35 minutes, I waited a full hour. Mission Space said 15 minutes, I walked on. Star Tours said 20 minutes, I waited 5.

• Like 1

Cargo shorts with a zipper pocket are the best thing to wear in my opinion. Either that or have a wife like mine that doesn't like rides and is willing to hold everyone's stuff.

I wear shorts with button pockets, and no issues. I've had some close moments before, but I've started coming up with positioning on rides that prevent movement too. Its pretty much push my phone side leg more on the side of the seat though.

• Like 1