GateKeeper Restraints

Lots of talk at Pointbuzz and Coasterbuzz about this.

I'm 6' and 170 lbs and they hurt my collar bone a bit. 3 rides and my collar bone still had a sore spot that night. A big so what for me. The ride experience was totally worth it.

2 of the people I rode with complained of it restricting their breathing by the brake run. They do get tighter throughout the ride. If you're worried, I've heard from several that pushing the "vest" out at the bottom of the hills helps.

Most of all, enjoy your ride. It's an awesome addition and very unique experience.

Definitely more noticeable tightening during the ride than I've experienced on any other ride roller coaster. To the extent that it was memorably unpleasant for me, and I do not have an extreme body type in any sense. This was before I had heard that this was a common issue that lots of people were experiencing. I didn't even say anything about it until my friends mentioned it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was going to keep this to myself, but Snow woman and I did a fast pass marathon on Gatekeeper and rode it 8 time in a row. By the 8th our collarbones were completely bruised. We asked the ride op about it and he said they are getting many complaints about how bad the vests hurt everyone's collarbone regardless of the persons size. We were extremely disappointed, and strongly hope that those torture train restraints don't show up at KI next year.

• Like 1

My experience with it wasn't too bad. I'm about 6' 155lbs. It didn't 'hurt' me but it was noticeable.

My guess is since the vest on Gatekeeper is so light, its easier to get it down farther. Plus the device that tightens it is located towards the top of the seat. The vests on Firehawk work similar but since the vest on Firehawk is so thick and the locking device for them is located towards the bottom of the seat, it has a harder time of tightening.

My experience with it wasn't too bad. I'm about 6' 155lbs. It didn't 'hurt' me but it was noticeable.

My guess is since the vest on Gatekeeper is so light, its easier to get it down farther. Plus the device that tightens it is located towards the top of the seat. The vests on Firehawk work similar but since the vest on Firehawk is so thick and the locking device for them is located towards the bottom of the seat, it has a harder time of tightening.

I am 6' 225lbs, and had no problems.

I'm about 6'1" 190 lbs. and though I had heard reviews about the restraints tightening I didn't give them much thought and thought they were comfortable at first... I enjoyed the first half of the ride quite a bit, but by the time I hit the midcourse brake run I was ready to get out of those restraints, my collarbone was in some pain, definitely not pleasant.

• Like 1

I didn't notice any discomfort from the restraints last Tuesday. In May, they become tight enough on my collarbone to be uncomfortable, but not enough to keep me from enjoying the ride. I don't know if the difference was from the way I was riding or from adjustments to the restraint.

As I mentioned in another thread, the head rattling seemed worse than before. Granted, it was practically brand new the first day I rode it. It's definitely an enjoyable ride, but it's not one I could ride repeatedly.

I didn't notice any discomfort from the restraints last Tuesday. In May, they become tight enough on my collarbone to be uncomfortable, but not enough to keep me from enjoying the ride. I don't know if the difference was from the way I was riding or from adjustments to the restraint.

As I mentioned in another thread, the head rattling seemed worse than before. Granted, it was practically brand new the first day I rode it. It's definitely an enjoyable ride, but it's not one I could ride repeatedly.

Does it shake toward the back of the train like Diamondback does?

It does make your collar bones hurt! It is so slow that it does not generate enough positive G's in the inversions to hold you in the seat and, as a result, dumps your shoulders into the restraint while you are inverted. If it's a "family ride," my family said, "We got the credit, now let's go ride something good."

• Like 2

I'm about 6'1" 190 lbs. and though I had heard reviews about the restraints tightening I didn't give them much thought and thought they were comfortable at first... I enjoyed the first half of the ride quite a bit, but by the time I hit the midcourse brake run I was ready to get out of those restraints, my collarbone was in some pain, definitely not pleasant.

Same experience for me except I am 5'10" and 190. After an extended wait on the final break run due to technical difficulties I thought I was going to die. Very comfortable until they have ratcheted down so tight that you can barely breathe.

I'm 5'6", 150 lb. The vest was tight enough on my shoulders to cause some discomfort, but not so much to keep me from attempting to enjoy the ride. I say "attempting" because I succeeded only in understanding why some people say B&M stands for Boring and Mediocre. I could take a nap on Gatekeeper. It's that boring to me.

• Like 4

I wouldn't describe it as pushing down, but more of a squeezing sensation. It happens to only some people, while others don't notice anything.

Some similar news, X-Flight's vest stayed loose on me the whole ride last week. It was nice being able to fully notice how enjoyable that ride is.

• Like 2

I'm 5'6", 150 lb. The vest was tight enough on my shoulders to cause some discomfort, but not so much to keep me from attempting to enjoy the ride. I say "attempting" because I succeeded only in understanding why some people say B&M stands for Boring and Mediocre. I could take a nap on Gatekeeper. It's that boring to me.

But alas, very few people will tell the Emperor that he is wearing no clothes.......

Rode it for the first time today and was wondering if others were having the same problem. Right after the first drop my collarbones were constricted. The ride is fun, but hard to enjoy when you're in pain.

Many others, including the Gatekeeper ride-ops. Let's hope a similar torture isn't coming to KI in 2014!

• Like 1

Rode it for the first time today and was wondering if others were having the same problem. Right after the first drop my collarbones were constricted. The ride is fun, but hard to enjoy when you're in pain.

Many others, including the Gatekeeper ride-ops. Let's hope a similar torture isn't coming to KI in 2014!

That's what I was afraid of! I don't want to have to "enjoy but put up with" the new ride in '14.

I'll join in. The restraint was uncomfortable for me, though not horrible. I'm 6 foot, 200 lbs. I could feel it get a lot tighter through the ride and it was very noticeable on my collarbone, but didn't really "hurt", though it probably would if I rode it a few times in a row. Once in the brakes at the end, I noticed how hard it was to take a deep breath, which is always unsettling.

My wife, on the other hand, had bruises on her collarbone after our one ride. She was not a fan.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...