What is your favorite Search Engine

CP&LERR Fan

I think you and I have different ideas of what a web browser is. A web browser is like Internet Explorer or Google Chrome. I think the word you're searching for is search engine.

I would also add an 'other' option if I were you.

Like I just said to Vortexfan I messed up and meant to say search engines

This thread is useless anyways, so far it's 6 votes to 0 and we all know Google will ultimately be winning 20 - 2 within a matter of hours.

Ok I fixed it, and I know Google will win but Of course Commercials on TV say that Bing is the best just wanted to see.

I like the "cool" appearance of Bing. While Google is a classic and a great source, I can't really explain it but Bing has a modern, updated feel to it. I love Google and Bing equally as search engines, but I guess when it comes to little details like this, I'd have to go with Bing. But only by a tiny fraction of a percent. Don't get me wrong, I still love Google.

Of course Commercials on TV say that Bing is the best

Bing claims to be better than Google based on survey results. I took one of those surveys. It was rigged in Bing's favor in two ways.

In the first case, the Google and Bing search queries presented to me in screenshots were not identical. Typically, the Google search used "site:www.microsoft.com" in the query to restrict the search to the "www.microsoft.com" subdomain, while the Bing query used Bing's native option to search the Microsoft site, which encompassed all subdomains of "microsoft.com". Usually the most helpful results were on subdomains such as "support.microsoft.com" that showed up only in the Bing results because of the way the Google query was formulated. A proper comparison should have used "site:microsoft.com" in the Google query.

In the second, more blatant case, the screenshot of the Google query had been outright photoshopped. They had searched for something totally different on Google, taken a screenshot of the results, then edited the query in the search box at the top of the results to match the Bing query. Anyone familiar with the way Google displays their results could identify the fact that it had been edited immediately, because Google displays the words matching the search query in bold, and the bolded words had nothing to do with the query shown.

I should add that the fact that all search queries, even the "original" ones on Google pre-Photoshop, were of the Microsoft website or for Microsoft products such as Xbox. That's pretty good evidence that the survey was conducted by, or at least paid for by, Microsoft. So it was not an independent survey.

The survey in question asked me to rate the Bing and Google results independently, then indicate which was more useful and to what degree, then gave me a freeform text box to make any comments I felt worth mentioning. Once I began to realize it was rigged, I used that text box to say so several times. After one particularly nasty comment, when I clicked "next", I was told that I had "screened out" of the survey. That usually means that they are looking for a certain number of responses from each demographic group and that quota has been met, but screen-outs normally occur at the beginning after just a few demographic questions, not in the middle of the meat of the survey. I suspect they had a blacklist of words set up where if somebody used one of those words in the comment box, they could be fairly sure that the person taking the survey had guessed it had been rigged, and the system would kick them out immediately. I must have tripped that blacklist with my last comment, which used a few words distinctly related to editing and rigging that I had not used in my comments on prior comparisons.

Anyway, the point of all of this is that if someone tells you that survey results prove Bing is better than Google, don't believe that for one second. It's an outright lie.

• Like 3

There was a time, I think before it was all called "bing," that the Microsoft maps were somewhat better than Google maps because they had the overhead, angled view. That was the only time I ventured over there. Now, Google Maps is 10x better.

I was forced to use Bing maps once. It's a long story, but at one point I owned a Blackberry Playbook tablet. It's the worst tablet on the market, but I got a great deal on it. My old HTC Thunderbolt was dead and I needed a map. I took the Playbook into a McDonalds and hoped on the Wi-Fi. The only maps application the playbook had available was for Bing Maps that couldn't find my location and couldn't find the address I searched for. Through the tablet's miserable web browser, I was able to get on Google Maps and was set up in minutes.

I've never had a reason to use Bing - if I can't find it on Google I usually don't find it on Bing. Like almost everything Microsoft seems to do - Bing is their own version with copycat features that don't work nearly as well as the product they try to emulate.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...