Mobile device or PC computer

CP&LERR Fan

...and now I'm the only one who uses a PC. One running an older operating system, at that.

Your not the only one, I still use a PC which in the computer world my version is a prehistoric dinosaur. I have Windows XP. I never use the PC for Kings Island central. I use my Kindle Fire.

• Like 2

I also use an Asus laptop with Windows 8. I don't see why everyone complains about Windows 8, but then I'm the guy that used Vista for five years and never understood the complaints about it either.

When I'm away from home, I can now use my Motorola DROID RAZR M to pop in occasionally as well.

Android powered phone here, Galaxy S3 If we're getting technical. It's not top of the class anymore but it's also not awful.

Yep S3s still aren't too shabby, my phone unfortunately was obsolete the day I bought it, a LG Nitro HD. Can't wait to get a galaxy with my next upgrade.

I'm using a PC. But once I go away to college it will be a laptop.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any recommendations on the best laptops? And nothing too expensive but something that would suit a college student's needs. I still have 2 more years of high school but it's starting to be crunch time when thinking about going away.

If you still have two years of high school left, than laptop recommendations for college are useless now. Computers advance so fast that the good ones today will be completely obsolete and removed from the market before you graduate. You'll be better off waiting until around halfway into your senior year before asking for recommendations.

• Like 1

And it depends on what you are going to be studying, which may change several times before then. An engineering student typically requires a far different device than a graphic artist wants or needs.

Some schools specify and require, down to the brand and configuration, what you must have. Others do not.

• Like 1

Depending on where I am, I use a Linux desktop, one of two dual-boot laptops, an Android tablet, or an Android phone.

The advantage of the desktop is that it's always on, so it can act as a server or run a task that takes a long time. Compiling code, rendering a video, or recording TV shows would be difficult on a mobile device. I'm usually connected to my desktop via OpenVPN when I'm using any of the other aforementioned devices.

Also, when I'm tying more than a couple sentences, I prefer to have a full keyboard on a laptop or desktop. Imprecise mobile keyboards and speech-to-text systems annoy me to no end.

Case in point: I recently used speech-to-text to send a message including the word "yellow". I almost lost it when it came up as "YOLO".

• Like 3