Shoot The Rapids boat flips over with riders

Yikes...first the Texas Giant thing @ SFOT, and now this...I also hope the people in this accident were OK, and give them my thoughts. As for the ride itself...oh boy, this could be a short-lived attraction at Cedar Point if stuff like this keeps happening.

I do not see Cedar Fair buying anything from Intamin anytime soon now- if Project 2014 is not a B&M, it will be something from Premier Rides, Mack, Zierer or something. Intamin? I seriously doubt it...too many problems.

Doesn't that ride have anti-rollbacks? If not, then Intamin and/or Cedar Point should be held liable for this, and the ride should not be allowed to reopen without having them installed. If it does already have them, then why could they have failed?

Doesn't that ride have anti-rollbacks? If not, then Intamin and/or Cedar Point should be held liable for this, and the ride should not be allowed to reopen without having them installed. If it does already have them, then why could they have failed?

The boat was apparently traveling backwards....

• Like 2

YIKES. Sounds like a major design flaw...this ride could be in for either a major modification, or removed for another attraction. I don't see it re-opening as-is right now...

Backwards down a lift hill, which is why I asked about anti-rollbacks. From the article (emphasis added):

Sometime around 6:30 p.m., a Shoot the Rapids boat was ascending the first lift hill when the ride malfunctioned, sending the boat backwards and into the entry chute, witnesses said.

Under water a few minutes- a nightmare.

I can't imagine that. I can only hold my breath for about 45 seconds, maybe a minute if I absolutely had to. Beyond that, I'm drowning. And those numbers are assuming I'm able to prepare by taking deep breaths (i.e. that I'm underwater intentionally or that I have enough advance notice and am calm enough to prepare). Without preparing, I might be drowning in 30 seconds.

Seat belts on water rides have always been somewhat controversial....

Locking lap bars that you can't easily get out of like on Shoot the Rapids and Giraffica at HW always make me a bit nervous on water rides. Non-locking seat belts like White Water Canyon, CP's Thunder Canyon, or HW's Raging Rapids that you can release on your own in an emergency are fine with me. Snake River Falls at CP is kind of a gray area; it has locking lap bars, but they are of the single-position variety, and you probably could squirm out of them if needed.

• Like 1

This could have been any of us. Today is a sad day for the industry. I feel for all those involved. I only wish I was there to get the boat turned over faster.

Seat belts on water rides have always been somewhat controversial....

This is why seat belts should not be on water rides, because anything can happen like this.

Seat belts can be released by the rider, over the shoulder restraints cannot.

• Like 4

^PR department will have lots of work for the next few days.

On a more serious note, I'm still trying to figure out how it could of rolled back down the lift hill. How can anti-rollbacks fail???

UPDATE:http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/4308286?utm_content=buffer966f4&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer

• Like 2

Didn't they say the boats were too heavy and that's why the ride opened late in 2010? Also why they didn't load the back row of the boats that season? Could it have been an issue with how the ride ops balanced the boat before it was sent out? They said only 7 riders were on the boat, so we know an entire row plus one seat was empty.