Shoot The Rapids boat flips over with riders

There was an allegation posted saying a Millennium Force maintenance worker fell to his death earlier this month.

I think if I were you and I heard that, I'd do a little research to see if it did happen. I wouldn't go around saying a maintenance worker fell to his death unless I know it did happen.

• Like 3

There was an allegation posted saying a Millennium Force maintenance worker fell to his death earlier this month.

"Park spokesman Bryan Edwards confirmed that a park maintenance employee was injured at about 3 a.m. Saturday while working on Millennium Force. "

"He did not know the nature of the maintenance employee’s injuries, but they were not life threatening. Edwards was unsure of how far the employee fell, but the man may have been working near the coaster’s station."

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/cedar-point/4292906

I hope the best for the people hurt!

I thought this would be the "best" thread to ask this question, but what about rides that are launched up hills (Hulk, Revenge of the Mummy that's all I can think of) , Do those have rollback things? Or do they use a completely different method?

The reason I ask if they have rollback catchers is because you never hear them.

Continuing with what Terp said, launch coasters need to be able to roll back into position. If it stopped on the hill because of anti-rollbacks, there would be no method of getting the train over the hill (except for manually winching it).

Maverick example:

• Like 6

Thank God for those double lanyard safety harnesses, Having worn them I just would imagine a coaster maintenance worker would have one on for sure.

Probably should have, but the probable: "I've done this a thousand times- safely" was said.

Safety is never quick.

• Like 3

This could have been any of us. Today is a sad day for the industry. I feel for all those involved. I only wish I was there to get the boat turned over faster.

Seat belts on water rides have always been somewhat controversial....

This is why seat belts should not be on water rides, because anything can happen like this.

Seat belts can be released by the rider, over the shoulder restraints cannot.

Have you ever been on the Woodstock Gliders at Carowinds?

Until the exact story of what happened is told - that is, if it is ever told (Cedar Fair and Intamin may not want to reveal things) - everything is just a big question mark. We hear rollbacks, overturns, etc - one thing that is true is that 7 people were treated for injuries in some way, shape, or form. Thank God no one was killed.

• Like 6

Which brings up this in the wrong thread, too. Those who heard about the Cedar Point accident but live elsewhere are unlikely to think it happened at their local Cedar Fair Park. I bet many in Chicago, Georgia, Jersey, California, etc., who half heard about the Six Flags coaster death are fully convinced it happened at their local Six Flags.

• Like 3

Kingda Ka's also snapped. Shards of metal flew everywhere. No one was aboard, and the park was not yet open. The State of New Jersey now requires twice daily inspections of the ride, including the cable.

The cables are also now coated with a wax-like substance to help eliminate the flying shards.
  • Like 4