Shoot The Rapids boat flips over with riders

I was on STR two days before this happened. Crazy. Though the article stated that there were ten people in the boat. When I rode it, they had passengers in every row but the middle row. A little strange, could mean nothing.

Actually the article said they were 10 person boats, but all 7 aboard were injured. That's very different.

• Like 3

So glad that no one died in this accident. This has also restored my faith in people to some degree. It's great to see that park guests just jumped in to the water to help the ones trapped in the boat. If people are trapped under water every second counts. It might have been a different out come if the ones who did help just decided to stand there and watch instead.

• Like 9

Never rode the ride. Probably won't waste my time in line waiting for it. It's got a seriously slow moving current...looks so boring. I seriously forgot about the ride until this incident happened! Really crappy, sorry for all those involved, glad it wasn't any worse than it was. A boat capsizing...being locked in your restraints.. absolute nightmare.

I'm curious what they do with the people they treated and released at the park's first aid station.

I imagine a "Oops, our bad. Here are some Fast Lane passes," wouldn't cut it.

I would guess that the park has done nothing... so far. An apology implies responsibility - a "here are some Fast Lane passes" implies responsibility and guilt. I definitely don't know anything technical, but in any and all retail jobs I've had, it's explicitly clear that if someone slips or trips over an unmarked step, do not apologize and do not offer to give them something for free - supposedly, that could be used in court as an attempt to bribe the patron.

Not sure how different it is in a situation like this where responsibility is at least not able to be passed on to the customer in any sense the way that a simple trip or slip could be.

EDIT: For all I know, the park may have immediately apologized and given lifetime passes to all involved. Again, I don't know the legal advice aspect of it.

• Like 1

I went on it the year it opened. It was boring, slow, and I only got wet when someone activated one of those water canons.

Bring back a traditional log flume and replace STR with it.

I forget where I saw it, but not too long ago someone had a really good idea. If they were CEO they would have left White Water landing where it was, and then would have built Maverick in the location where STR is now. I wish that's the way things actually turned out, but oh well.

The Sandusky Register posted a picture taken by a bystander which shows the boat on its side....

witnessride.jpg?w=440&h=330&aspect=nostr

A witness gave The Sandusky Register a photo of what they say are bystanders helping the victims. / Courtesy: The Sandusky Register

I'm glad nobody was hurt, although that must have been a terrifying experience. I'm bummed that I'll probably never get to ride it before it gets torn down. Haven't been to CP since before they built Maverick.

How in the heck did they survive being underwater for more than two minutes, though? Were they really under?

I'm glad nobody was hurt, although that must have been a terrifying experience. I'm bummed that I'll probably never get to ride it before it gets torn down. Haven't been to CP since before they built Maverick.

I see what your saying but you have to think about how much money the park would loose to just tear it down now. I think it would be more likely to have a major adjustments including different trains. Hopefully that would make the ride better as well.

The Sandusky Register posted a picture taken by a bystander which shows the boat on its side....

witnessride.jpg?w=440&h=330&aspect=nostr

A witness gave The Sandusky Register a photo of what they say are bystanders helping the victims. / Courtesy: The Sandusky Register

It also shows people milling around. Like Billy Madison said "Get your @#$ out there and save those %*c#i^g people!"

I really wish I could sit here and say that I would have jumped in first and ran over to the boat. But after reading so many things about what can happen in the water (think KI on black sunday?), I cant say that comfortably. I know if I saw others jump in the water to help, I would probably follow. Then again, being a former life guard that worked at a lake, then I might have been one of the first ones in. Not sure.

Having never rode this ride, what kind of restraints are on this ride. Is it a locking lap bar?

• Like 4

I really wish I could sit here and say that I would have jumped in first and ran over to the boat. But after reading so many things about what can happen in the water (think KI on black sunday?), I cant say that comfortably. I know if I saw others jump in the water to help, I would probably follow. Then again, being a former life guard that worked at a lake, then I might have been one of the first ones in. Not sure.

Having never rode this ride, what kind of restraints are on this ride. Is it a locking lap bar?

Yes, it is a locking lap bar.

so bringing the topic back to an earlier point. How is it safe to have a locking lap bar on a water ride. The seat belt on the white water ride is uncomfortable to me. In the case of a rapid exit on a water ride, I would not want something that can restrain me.

A 10000 pound locking lap bar sounds like certain death if this boat flipped on a part of the ride not as easily viewed by guests or as easy to get to.

• Like 1