Shoot The Rapids boat flips over with riders

You probably are able to wiggle out of them with quite some effort. I know how but will not explain how to get out of a locked OTSR on corkscrew, I've done it lol. Anyways there may be a backup to unlock the harness remotely. This can possibly be done either by battery pack or mechanism (pedal, ect.).

Did you start by putting one arm through the middle of the restraint where your head and neck goes? Were you riding alone?

• Like 1

Guest Department47

Uh, no. You don't need electricity for a manual release.

Firehawk and Invertigo, alongside other KI rides, require battery packs to manually unlock the restraints.

• Like 4

Shoot the Rapids needs to go, a good investment by Cedar Point turned to possibly' intamins last good leg with Cedar Fair.

How could an accident that no one has determined the cause of change Intamins status with Cedar Fair? It may have been a maintenance issue, it could have been operator error or it even possibly (but appears unlikely in this instance) could have been a problem a guest caused.

• Like 1

I believe that the relationship between Cedar Fair and Intamin soured a while ago...but the final straw was with StR. Things had already gone bad before this incident, and I can only imagine how this incident has deepened the conflicts even more. I've seen it said and I've even said it myself: Don't expect another Intamin at a Cedar Fair park any time soon. Sorry, YoungStud.

I believe that the relationship between Cedar Fair and Intamin soured a while ago...but the final straw was with StR. Things had already gone bad before this incident, and I can only imagine how this incident has deepened the conflicts even more. I've seen it said and I've even said it myself: Don't expect another Intamin at a Cedar Fair park any time soon. Sorry, YoungStud.

I will just have to travel to Hershey more often, Hershey/Intamin have a strong relationship.

• 2 weeks later...

It's sad to see that StR had an accident, and that people were injured, but I can't say that I'm surprised.

After our last ride on StR, we vowed "NEVER AGAIN!"

Every time we've ever ridden it before, the ride ops were very choosy as to who sat in which row.

Heavier people went in the front, smaller in the back. They said something about balancing the weight to keep the boat from capsizing.

We didn't really think that much about it, until our final ride...

We were placed in the front, though we were not the largest in the group loaded (but that's not really what I'm getting at).

When our boat left the station, it began to tilt to the left. This wasn't a slight tilt either. My side of the boat was actually coming up out of the water and my b/f's side was almost low enough to start taking on water. The boat had inadvertently been loaded with all of the smaller people on the right and the larger on the left.

We estimated that there was a 300 - 400 lb weight difference between each side.

With the kind of restraints that ride has, I found myself wondering "if the boat tips over, how do we get out? How do we keep from drowning?"

Of all of the rides I have ever been on, this one has scared me the most.

^Did you contact the park? If not, be sure to send an email or something letting them know your experience. I'm sure they'd be happy to hear from someone who had a far from enjoyable experience, since I'm sure they'd want to look into it. Granted the ride is closed right now, but any feedback they get could affect future plans for the ride.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

On Tuesday, the on-ride photo monitors were turned on and were displaying pictures of empty boats on the drop.

On-ride photo? Since when does Shoot the Rapids have an on-ride photo? I don't ever recall it having an on-ride photo.